Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 28, 2015   #46
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
So, just where did you get them for that fabulous price? I saw them somewhere...but, I don't remember where.
http://www.osborneseed.com/product-d...reen-garden-f1

Although it looks like I should have bought them here:
https://www.kitchengardenseeds.com/c...&_category=172

I had seen them here: http://www.evergreenseeds.com/tohysu1.html and saw how expensive they were, so I was expecting to pay a lot.

I should make all my seed costs back on the first day I have tomatoes to sell. I'm hoping the Sungreen will be a good conversation piece in the mix. Hardly anybody knows that a tomato that green can be that sweet.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2015   #47
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Ain't that the truth about people not knowing about GWR? I once gave my neighbor a container of yellow, red, and black cherries. She asked me if the black ones were BAD ?!?!? She isn't a peasant but a professional woman!!!!

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2015   #48
creister
Tomatovillian™

Hybrids I like in order

1. Moreton
2. Ramapo
3. Big Beef/Jetstar
4. Supersonic
5. Goliath/Superfantastic

All are pretty close for production, listed more for flavor. I do like Sungold, it is my favorite cherry, but I don't grow cherries much anymore.
creister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2015   #49
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

Worth...do you think the influence of the Texas heat intensifies the flavor and develops more sweetness in tomatoes? My summer highs usually range 75-85F. This is great for certain growing...but I am much more experienced with tree fruits....to be honest. As an example...certain citrus trees really need heat to obtain sweetness (ie grapefruit and some oranges). I am just not that knowledgeable yet on my maters.
Ed of Somis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2015   #50
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labradors2 View Post
Ain't that the truth about people not knowing about GWR? I once gave my neighbor a container of yellow, red, and black cherries. She asked me if the black ones were BAD ?!?!? She isn't a peasant but a professional woman!!!!

Linda
I know... Whenever my parents gave any tomatoes to their neighbors, they remembered to emphasize the fact that all colors were edible, ripe, and ready to be enjoyed
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2015   #51
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

Another good hybrid I have grown is Champion II. Someone earlier in this thread mentioned "Champion". Champs II is similar to Big Beef and Celebrity. The plant size is somewhere between those two and the production and quality of fruit is about the same as Big Beef. I grew it two different years and it was very productive both years.
Dutch

The intuitive mind is a gift, and the rational mind is a faithful servant. But we have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. (paraphrased) Albert Einstein

I come from a long line of sod busters, spanning back several centuries.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2015   #52
Donna Mattingly
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I have noticed they are a little harder also maybe.

Worth
Celebrity has been our "safety" plant for many years to ensure we have plenty for canning. But I'm with the rest of you -- they are like the old gray mare who ain't what she used to be, for us (sad to say).
Donna Mattingly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2015   #53
Ken B
Tomatovillian™

I liked and grew Celebrity when I was in Missouri, but that's 10 years ago now, haven't grown since then, too bad if it's gone downhill...

Also a Sungold fan!

And, Mountain Magic -- really good flavor, we planted it in our trials patch and I'd find myself going out of my way to cruise by to snack on it... has great vigor too.
Ken B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2015   #54
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

Hybrids cherries I will be growing.
Sungold
Sweet Quartz
Tomatoberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
In Texas they have a big bold Texas taste.

Worth
They have big huge roaches too. They can even fly! I have first hand experience
when I lived in Dallas for a few years.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2015   #55
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper2008 View Post
Hybrids cherries I will be growing.
Sungold
Sweet Quartz
Tomatoberry

They have big huge roaches too. They can even fly! I have first hand experience
when I lived in Dallas for a few years.
When I lived on the coast they were to thick at night it was horrible outside.
You would open the door to go outside and they would hit you in the face.
I dont miss that place one bit.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2015   #56
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed of Somis View Post
Worth...do you think the influence of the Texas heat intensifies the flavor and develops more sweetness in tomatoes? My summer highs usually range 75-85F. This is great for certain growing...but I am much more experienced with tree fruits....to be honest. As an example...certain citrus trees really need heat to obtain sweetness (ie grapefruit and some oranges). I am just not that knowledgeable yet on my maters.
Ed - Even though you asked Worth, I'm weighing in! There is absolutely no doubt that the heat concentrates tomato flavors! I've tasted many varieties I've grown here that were grown in cooler climates like Norcal. The cooler tomatoes may look gorgeous and be larger, but the flavors are watered down compared to the same variety grown in heat. A friend I give some tomatoes to is a life long tomato fanatic and she has had them in many states, many countries and "every continent except the Antarctic". She swears mine are by the best! I'm not bragging, I've had other folks heirlooms grown here and they are equally amazing. The major downside is the same heat that makes them super concentrated flavor bombs is the heat that shuts down new fruit set.

Dewayne Mater
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2015   #57
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Mountain Pride (NC 7984) - Breeder and vendor: North Carolina State University, Fletcher. Parentage: Cherokee x NC 50-7. Characteristics: F1 hybrid, fresh market, large, determinate, late season, medium-large, flat-round fruit. Resistance: fusarium wilt races 1 and 2, verticillium wilt race 1. Adaptation: southeastern United States. HortScience 17:92-93, 1982. 1981.

Mountain Pride is actually a very good tomato and it does indeed have exceptional flavor. This was the first line released by Randy Gardner. I've had local reports that this variety is not producing large fruit in recent years like it did when released. I called Randy Gardner a few weeks ago and asked him to check about the seed stock they have to see if I can get hold of the original lines and perhaps make a manual cross to see if genetic drift is taking a toll.

As for hybrids I grow, Ramapo, Big Beef, Sungold, Mountain Merit, Amelia, and Mountain Pride are pretty much my standards.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2015   #58
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
My total price for those 25 (Sungreen) seeds ended up being $23.40 after shipping and order fee.
I was wrong. The seeds just arrived. The actual cost was $14.59. The higher amount of $23 was the pre-auth on my card, then it was reduced for the actual shipping charge.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2015   #59
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
I was wrong. The seeds just arrived. The actual cost was $14.59. The higher amount of $23 was the pre-auth on my card, then it was reduced for the actual shipping charge.
Now, that's a bonus. Good for you, though. I was popping my eyeballs out on that one.... I don't order form some sites due to the extreme cost of shipping and handling no matter how bad I want something.
Old January 30, 2015   #60
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed of Somis View Post
I know you have had your question answered already and I totally agree with it.
I simply cannot express to you how much better one of those late season tomatoes taste grown in the summer heat.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote