Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 4, 2015   #46
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Get some HOT peppers into your diet.
My Hot peppers are now getting ready and I have a lot of hot sauce, that I have made myself
You can flavor it with Peach, Mango, Pineapple .. etc.
Most peppers are negative calorie. Hmmm
capsaicin.

Gardener.
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2015   #47
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Can't wait to get some habanero to make sauce!
Which fruit to you like to add to cayenne or tobasco pepper sauce?
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2015   #48
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
I lost 33 pounds just by eating three or four bites of whatever I wanted. Now that's all I care to eat. Maybe I trained myself?
Great idea and yes, I bet you trained yourself and your stomach got used to less food.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2015   #49
stevenkh1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
you have to have carbs for your body to survive.

Sorry, my friend, I have to call you on that one. The keto diet's main premise is that you do not need carbs to live. The body will convert a fat-based diet to ketones, and fuel itself just fine. Think of an ancient eskimo living off whale and seal meat; they didn't have carbs.
Yeah, but in those days they were lucky to reach their 40th birthday because of that diet.

Carolyn here has taught Med School and I've been to Med School. People sell these diets to sell books. Your brain and ALL cells need TWO primary fuels for them to function properly: oxygen and glucose (carbs).

If you want to lose weight the right way, do Weight Watchers and count your calories. Professional bodybuilders also count their calories. If that's too much, then try this: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/the-...t-healthy.html

stevenkh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2015   #50
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn here has taught Med School and I've been to Med School. People sell these diets to sell books. Your brain and ALL cells need TWO primary fuels for them to function properly: oxygen and glucose (carbs).

And I've been to law school, but that doesn't make me the definitive authority on the law.

If you have some sort of research to back up your statements, I'd be happy to look at whatever you can produce.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2015   #51
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I find it amazing how the many cultures we have studied all over the world have adapted to their unique diets.

I also find it disturbing that we as a society have turned our nose up at good proteins like armadillo and squirrel in favor of fast food garbage.

When the big one hits I will have a jump start on most of them as I have and will eat just about anything.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2015   #52
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

And I've been to law school, but that doesn't make me the definitive authority on the law.

If you have some sort of research to back up your statements, I'd be happy to look at whatever you can produce.

Cole I have always admired you for not tossing out your credentials here.
When people do that it portrays to me that they are saying, look at me I am the all knowing on this you need look no farther.

All I have is a meager certificate saying I am an engineering technologist in fire protection.

Worth
Old July 5, 2015   #53
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Worth.

I'm not trying to be snippy with anybody. I would honestly like to know if there has been any sort of study that can come up with evidence of health problems caused by lack of carbs in the diet.

I met a woman last summer who had a severely handicapped epileptic daughter. She had seizures almost every day. None of her doctors had ever told her about the keto diet, which was proven to reduce seizures in the 1920s. But as new medications came out, none of which were working for the family I met by the way, using diet to treat epilepsy fell out of favor and became lost knowledge.
Old July 5, 2015   #54
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
you have to have carbs for your body to survive.

Sorry, my friend, I have to call you on that one. The keto diet's main premise is that you do not need carbs to live. The body will convert a fat-based diet to ketones, and fuel itself just fine. Think of an ancient eskimo living off whale and seal meat; they didn't have carbs.
Eskimos with fruity keto breath
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2015   #55
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

About those eskimos, I read a doctor's blog; he was talking about life expectancy 100+ years ago. The reason that the average life expectancy was so low in the old days was child mortality. Modern medicine has made great advances in reducing child mortality.

But control for child mortality in the statistics, and the median life expectancy has not really gone up that much in the past 100 years, something like 6-8 years.
Old July 5, 2015   #56
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
Eskimos with fruity keto breath
I know and am friends with a lot of Native Alaskans including the so called Eskimos.
One I know lost his grandmother in an ice hole on a seal hunt.
Their friendship is hard earned due to the many prejudices against them by fools.
But once these wonderful loving people gain your trust you have a friend for life.

Worth
Old July 5, 2015   #57
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
About those eskimos, I read a doctor's blog; he was talking about life expectancy 100+ years ago. The reason that the average life expectancy was so low in the old days was child mortality. Modern medicine has made great advances in reducing child mortality.

But control for child mortality in the statistics, and the median life expectancy has not really gone up that much in the past 100 years, something like 6-8 years.
One of the problems that is very sad is they eat high on the food chain, seal fat and so forth.
The seal fat contains large amounts of pollutants, these toxins are passed on to the babies in the mothers milk causing all kinds of health issues.

Worth
Old July 5, 2015   #58
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

That makes sense.

I had some "Himalayan Pink Salt" recently. It's trendy right now. The salt deposits were formed in ancient times, long before humans existed. I don't know if it's any healthier, but I still liked it.
Old July 5, 2015   #59
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I know and am friends with a lot of Native Alaskans including the so called Eskimos.
One I know lost his grandmother in an ice hole on a seal hunt.
Their friendship is hard earned due to the many prejudices against them by fools.
But once these wonderful loving people gain your trust you have a friend for life.

Worth
It's good you have access to the remnants of the Inuit culture that will hopefully continue for a long time to come. Hard won loyalty is indeed priceless.

I'm excited to see more of their archaeological gems with all this glacial retreat, for them mostly since they might recover some lost lore.

To me the concept of Grandma on the hunt is pretty cool. Everyone participating is the way to go. The ending, on the other hand, was not.

There was no disparaging innuendo intended.

cheers

Last edited by Gerardo; July 5, 2015 at 03:02 PM.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2015   #60
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
It's good you have access to the remnants of the Inuit culture that will hopefully continue for a long time to come. Hard won loyalty is indeed priceless.

I'm excited to see more of their archaeological gems with all this glacial retreat, for them mostly since they might recover some lost lore.

To me the concept of Grandma on the hunt is pretty cool. Everyone participating is the way to go. The ending, on the other hand, is not.

There was no disparaging innuendo intended.

cheers
Where the ice is thin they have breathing holes they put their snouts up to and breath.
A popular hangout for people and bears to gather meat.

Worth