Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 28, 2015   #46
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmark View Post
Next year I am almost going to prune everything to one stem. I usually prune to two, three, or more stems, in 10 gallon or larger containers. I am going to smaller containers and single stem because I miss out on the first truss potential. I will get 50 percent more trusses set on the first truss with smaller containers single stem. 100 containers two vines equals 200 vines, 100 first trusses. 200 containers, single vine equals 200 first truss. If we figure a truss adds up to 5 pounds that is 500 extra pounds right out of the gate.
Sounds like a plan, I know I'll be watching. Still the ProMix HP and fabric pots? You or anyone ever try, or have an opinion on the vinyl bags?
Attached Images
File Type: png viagrow 10.png (16.8 KB, 118 views)
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28, 2015   #47
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

It's been a few years since I bought them, so don't know if I have the same brand as in your picture or remember where I purchased them. But I do have similar plastic bags that are reversible from black to white, and they work well and have lasted. I think (?) I have size 7 gallon bags. Wanted something larger than 5, but thought 10's would be too heavy if I needed to move them. Would buy again.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28, 2015   #48
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

^ I believe Gerardo uses them with good results also. They should retain water better in the heat, but I've read people comment on they keep the soil too wet, too long.
Old September 28, 2015   #49
Zenbaas
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
That is a very interesting formation.
The main is forked and then 2 more secondary branches are growing. I would probably prune the side branch on the right and keep the other 3.

Pruning an indet to a single branch is not going to be a good idea. The branch will keep growing live a bean, morning glory for ever. I am in the "Prune It!" camp but i think pruning to a single plant is counter productive.
Gardeneer
Had another good look at it and did exactly as you said. So now I have three branches. All three remaining branches already have at least one flower cluster on them whereas the fourth one had a very small immature one. Will be interesting to see it progress further. Thanks.
Zenbaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28, 2015   #50
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Shaw View Post
^ I believe Gerardo uses them with good results also. They should retain water better in the heat, but I've read people comment on they keep the soil too wet, too long.
No vinyl for me, but I did look at those. It seems like the white could help with heat.
Lately I've been using black plastic grow bags and the fabric pots.

A large paving stone under the plastic bags helps with moisture flow. If you place them on something non-porous, then yes, it can lead to soggy bottoms (my brain wanted to write foggybottom there, I guess it wants ale or to take a Metro ride). I placed a few directly on benches that had a waterproof finish, and those guys struggled a bit. I stabbed them all around the bottom edge of the lateral wall (3-4 inches) with a trellis, and voila, in a day or two the mix had the right odor, and the plants really took off.

It's hard to say blanket this or that for pruning. Each variety has its own growth habit.

I've experimented with a few configurations. Since my aim is a healthy plant--and by corollary lots of tomatoes, that's if my offering to Ceres was adequate of course,--I prune them to increase air flow and remove diseased leaves. On some that are less dense I make it a point to give the sucker flowers a shot, if they don't set fruit then that particular branch is Missouri'ed. .

But for the most part, I'm in the let 'em do what they do camp.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28, 2015   #51
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

In reading back through the thread it would seem you lose little if any production, probably get larger tomatoes. I'm assuming the plants will be using less space, so in turn I can plant more tomatoes.

Ok, I want to sign up for some of this. My Big Beef always gets tall, is that a candidate? Any other indeterminate varieties that spring to mind as good plants to do this?
Old September 29, 2015   #52
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Just trying to learn; I can be influenced for the fall crop; most are going into their final containers this week.

Quote:
Next year I am almost going to prune everything to one stem. I usually prune to two, three, or more stems, in 10 gallon or larger containers. I am going to smaller containers and single stem because I miss out on the first truss potential.
Why do you miss out on the first truss?

Quote:
I will get 50 percent more trusses set on the first truss with smaller containers single stem.
Why would more trusses set with smaller containers?

Quote:
100 containers two vines equals 200 vines, 100 first trusses. 200 containers, single vine equals 200 first truss. If we figure a truss adds up to 5 pounds that is 500 extra pounds right out of the gate.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29, 2015   #53
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Barb 100 plants two vines, 100 first trusses for me, I get a truss before a fork in the stems. 200 plants, single vines, 200 first trusses, gain of 100.
I also drop my plants now and coil the vine after fruit is harvested, it is tuff with two vines. My friends already do what I am talking about, I have resisted, but the light bulb went off, and I realized my lost potential.
The single stem plants will be grown in 6-7 gallon plastic bags, or old smart pots filled halfway. I do not try to avoid watering, I want to water, with continuous feed they grow like chickweed if you have to water multiple times per day.

Last edited by AKmark; September 29, 2015 at 02:28 PM.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29, 2015   #54
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the explanation; I understand the dropping stems and using the smaller pots for additional watering/nutrition.

But I still don't understand why the first trusses have more potential. What makes them better/more productive with a single stem/smaller pot?
Old September 29, 2015   #55
maf
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
But I still don't understand why the first trusses have more potential. What makes them better/more productive with a single stem/smaller pot?
The point is that with twice as many plants in the same space he has twice as many first trusses and twice as many early (more valuable) tomatoes.
maf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29, 2015   #56
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

And no substantial increase in planting costs. You're planting twice as many plants in the same amount of grow media and moving toward the cheaper priced plastic bags. Fertilizer use goes up, but that has a positive production return.

Going to miss the pics of the the monstrous plants, be nice keep a few of those.
Old September 29, 2015   #57
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf View Post
The point is that with twice as many plants in the same space he has twice as many first trusses and twice as many early (more valuable) tomatoes.
OK - now I feel stupid!!! Actually, I'm laughing at myself b/c it is so obvious now that you pointed it out. THANK YOU.

ETA - I think it is brilliant!
Old September 29, 2015   #58
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf View Post
I think that it is not that simple.
By multiplying the number of plants in a fixed area, you wont always multiply the production. There is a point that it will the reverse, ie total production will suffer. So there has to be a trade off.
Due to shortage of garden spot , I plant one per 2.5 to 3 square foot. Then I stake and trim to about 3. Had I more land resources I would do it 4 square foot per plant.
This is how my garden looks right now. A lot of work providing support.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sep-24.jpg (144.0 KB, 68 views)
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29, 2015   #59
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Ricky, that is all perception. I used to try to get the most from a single plant, it is sorta bragging rights, two three spaced out branches is a good way to get it too. But what if the plant that yielded 50lbs takes up the space of three pruned plants yielding 25 pounds apiece?
I also think tidy plants makes for less opportunity for disease to take hold. I just assume disease is always present, I want to catch it as soon as possible for control measures.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2015   #60
ilex
Tomatovillian™

In Spain evetybody prunes to one stem. Too much work for me. I doubt it's worth the effort. I prune first 10 inches and then tie to nylon mesh. Many times I plan 2 plants per hole.

There are quite a few studies on production vs stems (1-3) vs density in greenhouses.

In the old days, most were grown sprawling, just on the ground or over something.
ilex is offline   Reply With Quote