Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old November 18, 2012   #1
kilroyscarnival
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Moshou! I shouldn't have looked at the zucchini dessert ideas. They sound wonderful, though. Why should carrot cake have all the attention?
kilroyscarnival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2012   #2
Zana
Tomatovillian™

This is from the Better Homes and Gardens website...

~~~~~

Pork Chop and Squash

Makes: 4 servings

Start to Finish20 mins

Ingredients
* 4 pork loin chops, cut 3/4-inch thick
* 4 small zucchini and/or yellow summer squash, halved lengthwise
* 1 tablespoon olive oil
* Salt
* Ground black pepper
* 1 orange, peeled and chopped
* 1/2 cup bottled chipotle salsa

Directions
1. Brush chops and squash lightly with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. For a charcoal grill, place chops and squash, cut sides down, on the grill rack directly over medium coals. Grill squash 6 to 8 minutes and chops 11 to 13 minutes, turning once, until squash are tender and centers of chops are just slightly pink (160 degrees F).
2. Meanwhile, stir together orange and salsa. Slice squash into bite-size pieces. Spoon salsa mixture on top of chops.
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1, 2012   #3
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Grilled Zucchini Dip with Flatbreads and Crackers

Grilled zucchini, olive oil, garlic and Parmesan create a summery dip that’s reminiscent of pesto

This appetizer is like a zucchini pesto. It's also great spread on bread and topped with cheese or grilled steak.

Rori Trovato

INGREDIENTS
1/3 cup olive oil
4 medium zucchini, cut in half lengthwise, stem end removed
1 large clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon kosher salt
Flatbread, crackers or pita bread cut in wedges for serving
Yield: 4 Servings

DIRECTIONS
Heat the grill to medium high. Brush the cut zucchini with a little of the olive oil. Grill on each side for about 3 to 4 minutes, until slightly tender and grill marks appear. Remove from grill and let sit until cool enough to handle.
Cut zucchini into large pieces and put in the bowl of a food processor. Add the garlic and cheese and pulse; drizzle in the remaining olive oil until a chunky puree forms. Season with salt and pepper and serve with flatbreads, crackers or pita.
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5, 2012   #4
Hotwired
Tomatovillian™

Zucchini Crabless Crab Cakes

I love Crabcakes, so here’s one with zucchini (crabless) that’s pretty good. My wife hates shellfish so I make this for her and add in crabmeat with the zucchini for me. Here's a pdf http://www.hotwiredgardens.com/pdf/Z...kes_Recipe.pdf

2 cups grated zucchini
1 egg, beaten
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 cup bread crumbs
1/4 cup minced onion
1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning (NO substitutions)
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup vegetable oil for frying

In a large bowl, combine zucchini, egg, and butter or margarine. Stir in seasoned crumbs, minced onion, and seasoning. Mix well. Shape mixture into patties and dredge in flour. In a medium skillet, heat oil over medium high heat until hot. Fry patties in oil until golden brown on both sides. Serve with Remoulade Sauce. If you really love crabcakes, you can add a little canned crabmeat.

Cajun Style Remoulade Sauce

1/4 of a large red pepper
1/2 stalk of celery
1 green onion (including all the green)
1/4 cup of fresh parsley leaves
3/4 cup of mayonnaise
2 tbs of dijon mustard
2 tbs of ketchup
2 tbs of horseradish
a couple shakes of worstershire sauce
a couple shakes of tobasco sauce
2 tsp of paprika
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

Puree in food processor or blender until smooth.

Hotwired

Last edited by Hotwired; December 5, 2012 at 02:45 PM.
Hotwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6, 2012   #5
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Default Vegetarian Zucchini Pizza

Slice those zucchini, that grew a bit to big, thin (about 1/4") and lengthwise and lay them on a flat baking pan with heavy foil on it. You may have to trim and over lap the Zucchini slices to get them to fit together like a jig saw puzzle.

Cover them with shredded low moisture, low fat Mozzarella cheese and broil just long enough to "glue" them together.

Then take it out of the oven and cover with your favorite pizza sauce and toppings.

Top with another layer of low fat shredded pizza cheese blend.

Bake at 450 till the top cheese melts and gets a nice golden brown color.

Slide the whole thing out with the sheet of foil onto a cutting board.

Slice with a round rolling pizza cutter when it cools just enough that the cheese tries to hold it together.

Slide the slices off the foil and onto your plate with a spatula.

Definitely a fork eating operation! But boy is it good!

Optional: (I usually don't use sausage or pepperoni because it gets too greasy without bread to absorb the grease. However if you do choose to make it with meat, choose only extra lean types.)

When my Dad had a heart attack we experimented with this because he had a strict diet ordered by the doctors. It takes a little getting used to cooking it right, Then another whole learning curve getting used to sliding the slices onto your plate, but well worth it once you get the knack.

It became a favorite of the family.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6, 2012   #6
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

Scott, this sounds really good. I suppose one could think of different toppings to add, different veggies like peppers and olives. Also, maybe turkey pepperoni would have less grease and would work.
Old December 6, 2012   #7
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by coronabarb View Post
Scott, this sounds really good. I suppose one could think of different toppings to add, different veggies like peppers and olives. Also, maybe turkey pepperoni would have less grease and would work.
Well it is vegetarian recipe. But not everyone is vegetarian, even we were not necessarily "strict" vegetarians. But here are a few toppings we used

Black olives
mushrooms
onions
peppers (both hot and bell)
sun dried tomatoes
whole cherry tomatoes
basil fresh in whole leaves
asparagus tips
diced palm heart
pineapple

And a couple meats we tried:
fresh caught fish fillet strips
Oysters or mussels
shrimp (but later we found out it is high in cholesterol)
Grilled chicken strips
left over smoked turkey leg meat diced

You really might be surprised to find out you don't miss the meats though. We actually preferred the all veggie combinations. With no bread to suck up the grease, all veggie is much better. The fish was good. But fresh caught snapper or grouper is good no matter how you fix it! And we only did it with fish we caught ourselves. Didn't go fishing every day If you do use sausage or pepperoni, word to the wise, go VERY sparingly or you will have a greasy mess.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2013   #8
Baja_Traveler
Tomatovillian™

Default Zucchini "Apple" Pie

Didn't see this one here - a recipe I cut out years ago from the Fall 1989 issue of T-Bon, and is simply an awesome use for those huge zucchini's that seem to get away from us. I fooled everyone when I made this - except my mom - even though it tasted exactly like an apple pie, the texture of the "apples" was just off enough to make her suspicious, but she had no idea what I had used.

"Everyone has zucchini's that hide until they're too big. There are apple pies and apple pies, but this is an extra good one, and so inexpensive. You really have to try it to believe it.
Use big zucchini's, but still tender enough that you can pierce the skin easily using your thumbnail. Peel, cut lengthwise in quarters, remove the seeds and slice crosswise."

Toss Together:
6 cups sliced zucchini
2-3 tablespoons lemon juice
dash of salt

Mix in Bowl:
1 3/4 cups sugar
2 Tbs flour
2 Tbs Corn Starch
2 Tsp Cream of Tartar
2 Tsp Cinnamon
dash of nutmeg

Add the zucchini and mix well. It will be runny, but that is OK. Dump the filling into a 12 inch crust and dot with butter. Add the top crust and bake 400*F for 40 minutes, or until golden brown.
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6, 2012   #9
Hotwired
Tomatovillian™

Vegetarian Zucchini Pizza sounds great. I might try it with the Zucchini on a low-carb whole wheat wrap. That would create a nice crisp crust. I still have a couple of Zucchini in the hoophouse.
Hotwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6, 2012   #10
coronabarb

Mushrooms, caramelized onions and asparagus! That would make me forget about any meat!
Old April 5, 2014   #11
Rock Lady
Tomatovillian™

A very simple salad to use all those cucumbers, tomatoes and onions: chop up cucumbers and tomatoes in bite size pieces, chop red onion finely, add some bottled Italian dressing, mix and serve.

I have a really good recipe for zucchini bread/muffins that everyone absolutely loves. I got it from the Silver Palette cookbook and modified it slightly. can I post it?
Rock Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2014   #12
coronabarb

Rock Lady,

Anything having to do with what comes out of our gardens is very much welcome here. Please do post your recipe!
Old April 6, 2014   #13
Rock Lady
Tomatovillian™

Zucchini Bread

From Silver Palette cookbook

Double / Single
6 / 3 eggs
2 / 1 ¼ cups oil (1 cup works fine)
3 / 1 ½ cup granulated sugar
2 / 1 tsp vanilla
4 / 2 cups grated unpeeled raw zucchini
4 / 2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
4 / 2 tsp baking soda
2 / 1 tsp baking powder
2 / 1 tsp salt
2 / 1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 / 1 tsp ground cloves
2 / 1 cup shelled walnuts, chopped

1. Preheat oven to 350° F. Butter (unsalted) a 3 x 5 loaf pan or muffin pans (spray with Pam also works).
2. Beat eggs, oil, sugar and vanilla until light and thick. Fold zucchini into oil mixture.
3. Sift dry ingredients together. Stir into zucchini mixture until just blended. Fold in the walnuts.
4. Pour batter into the buttered loaf pans. Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 1 hour 15 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. For muffins, fill muffin tins about ¾ full, bake for 20 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
5. Cool slightly, remove from pan, and cool completely on a rack.

Single recipe makes one loaf or about 18 muffins

Last edited by Rock Lady; April 7, 2014 at 02:43 AM. Reason: spacing is not right
Rock Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2014   #14
coronabarb

Thank you Rock Lady! The best use of a large zuke is bread, in my own opinion!
Old July 20, 2015   #15
zeroma
Tomatovillian™

Default dehydrating summer squash

Does any one here have luck with dehydrating thin slice of summer squash?
zeroma is offline   Reply With Quote