Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old March 29, 2013   #46
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

As far as warming the air inside the plastic wrap is concerned, I've played with enough different things over the past month that I am convinced nearly any heat source will get that job done. I'm sure cfl lights would work for that. What I don't know (and it is usually what you don't know that bites you) is what the 24-hour light would do for the growth of the plants. I am of the notion that they need a certain period of darkness to grow properly - but that is something the pros on this forum would have to address.

I have completely avoided any form of lights as a heat source for that reason. Quite frankly, that would be the easiest way to do it. My dad and I used light bulbs inside insulated enclosures to keep water hydrants from freezing on the farm 40 years ago. If using a light wouldn't disrupt the growth of the tomato, the solution is simple and the variability of available wattages is almost unlimited.

That leaves us with some questions for the real pros...... Would using lights as a heat source disrupt the proper growth of the tomatoes? What about infrared? Is there any light-based heat source that would work?

Something (I think) I have learned, is that the relationship between wattage and temperature rise appears to be fairly linear. For the size of 'Tainer that I have been playing with it is around .25 to .30 degree of temperature rise per watt. I am confident I can keep the plants from freezing. What I don't know, is will they grow? I am also concerned about overheating during the warm, sunny days. Even with the lid off, the inside gets quite a bit warmer than the ambient temperature. I think I'm going to need a fan I can turn on to blow across the top of the 'Tainers to help cool them down.

Like I've said, We'll see!
dfollett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2013   #47
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I'm not a pro yet, but from what I read, tomatoes don't need a dark period.

That is not to say the light bulb could still cause problems. I would think that the plant would want to try to turn toward the bulb at night. I wonder if a green bulb would make any difference?
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2013   #48
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Default 2 Weeks – Survived 15⁰

Two weeks in and they are not dead yet.
I didn’t record temperature the first three nights. The other eleven have included 7 nights below 32⁰ and 4 nights above. The last two had me concerned. A freak snow storm came through Monday night with 30+ mph winds and a low of 22⁰. Tuesday’s high was 36⁰ and this morning’s low was 15.9⁰.

The low temp inside the ‘Tainer was 37⁰ yesterday and 35⁰ this morning. Obviously, the winds made a difference. If we’d had the winds with the 15⁰ temps, I doubt they would have made it – but they appear to be fine – and most importantly, it looks like they’re growing! So far, I have done nothing except put the lids on and take them off and turn the heaters on and off (I left the lids and heaters on during the day yesterday).

The pictures below show the change in the past two weeks. I’ve grown quite a few tomatoes over the years, and when I first plant them, they usually seem to sit still for a week or so before they start to grow. These appear to have taken off right from the start. Raybo, it looks like you have something here with these Earthtainers!
Not home free yet, but I’m encouraged.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DBF_0501-001.JPG (91.2 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg DBF_1037.JPG (164.7 KB, 45 views)
Old April 29, 2013   #49
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Thirty-three days - 20 nights below freezing (3 below 20⁰) and many days with highs from 35⁰ to 45⁰. Early Girl on the left – Siberian on the right. Siberian has several small fruit. Early Girl has quite a few blossoms just setting fruit now. A Silvery Fir Tree in a separate ‘Tainer has about 10 fruit and a bunch of blossoms. So far, so good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DBF_1095_zps9a2a5648.jpg (178.1 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg DBF_1110_zps5183ffc0.jpg (120.8 KB, 35 views)
Old April 29, 2013   #50
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Great work DF! Congrats on the early success.
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2013   #51
Sgtwalleye
Tomatovillian™

This is a small greenhouse I purchased from Menards for $99, it has weathered a very cold & snowy spring here in Iowa

This is a pic of while I was making brand new earthtainers & fitting them. I can get 4 earthtainers and 1 inntainer easily in it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 2.jpg (520.9 KB, 56 views)
Old April 29, 2013   #52
Sgtwalleye
Tomatovillian™

here are some early pics of the tomatos, peppers & cuc's I transplanted to put in the greenhouse....Notice the brilliant use of the TV trays-lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 1.jpg (447.8 KB, 54 views)
Old April 29, 2013   #53
Sgtwalleye
Tomatovillian™

A more recent pic...I'm really disapponted cuz temps are supposed to dip below 32deg again with a chance of smow Wed/Thur. My electrical bill will prob be HUGE if you noticed the small heater in the greenhouse to keep the palnts warm at night.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 2.jpg (395.0 KB, 40 views)
Old April 29, 2013   #54
Sgtwalleye
Tomatovillian™

A couple more pics...took these with my iphone I suppose they look giant and are too big? Didn't read the FAQ about posting pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 1.jpg (420.6 KB, 36 views)
Old April 29, 2013   #55
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

The anchor line tied to the earth anchor is a very good idea. You can never get too much protection against adverse weather.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2013   #56
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Sgt – Looks nice! A couple of questions for you:

Do you cover it with anything to insulate it at night? How much heat does it take to keep it warm (in what temperatures)? And how warm do you keep it? How hot does it get during a bright sunny day? Are you just starting plants in it or are you trying to get a jump on the season? What are the dimensions?
Old May 1, 2013   #57
Sgtwalleye
Tomatovillian™

Sorry I hadn't gotten back yet...No I don't cover it at night.

I have a 1500watt electric space heater that I set the temp to keep it at about 60deg in there. My electric bill(got it today) went up about $45 last month but we had many nights with temps in the teens in april.

I started the seeds in my basement in March, then they started getting leggy under the grow lights. I went to Menards and saw the greenhouse & bought it on an impulse-my bad!

It's only 5X5X6.5ft high. I really wish I had a bigger one now. We are getting snow like crazy again here today so my tomatos & peppers are in my garage.

Here are some pics from yesterday...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 1.jpg (579.0 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg photo 2.jpg (390.9 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg photo 3.jpg (391.5 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg photo 4.jpg (441.0 KB, 31 views)
Old May 1, 2013   #58
Sgtwalleye
Tomatovillian™

Snow today...this little greenhouse has been thru a half dozen of these this crazy, crappy spring...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (167.0 KB, 29 views)
Old May 1, 2013   #59
Sodak
Tomatovillian™

Tough day in Siouxland today.
Your greenhouse is just the thing, Sgt.
Old May 1, 2013   #60
Sgtwalleye
Tomatovillian™

Amen, Sodak...bring on spring!