Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 8, 2013   #586
z_willus_d
Tomatovillian™

Very slick Delerium. Those grafts look great. I know you said before, but can you repeat - what ware you use to brace the stems against the clip? From what is that clear plastic tubing made?

Thanks,
Naysen
z_willus_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2013   #587
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

Aquarium Tubing. This is how i did my grafts last year with no grafting clips. It held the grafts pretty nicely but i add clips now just to keep it from moving around. The aquarium tubing is slit so when the stem gets bigger you can easily remove it.
Delerium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013   #588
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

I know we are all blue in the face with grafting.. But here is something I am trying. Now that we know that no-roots grafting does work. What can we do to make it easier so the scion doesn't wilt during the grafting process. From what i understand side grafting is less stressful on the scion because it still has the root stock.. So it came to me.. why not no-roots grafting with side grafting and see if it works.

I choose a thicker scion and root stock because.. i wanted to make good contact between scion and rootstock. used a straw to keep the scion and root stock in place as one poster suggested earlier on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg side_grafting.jpg (203.6 KB, 32 views)
Old May 9, 2013   #589
rwsacto
Tomatovillian™

Default Selling Grafted Tomatoes

From an ad for grafted tomatoes,

"Grafting is a natural process that joins the best parts of 2 tomato varieties, without genetic modification, for more vigorous, stronger plants"

Um, I believe cross pollination is a natural process, but grafting? Someone (or a machine) has to wield a knife and connect the parts.

Perhaps a "traditional process" would be more accurate for marketing? What do you think?

Anyway, they are advertised at $7.88 for the quart size and $11.88 for the gallon size. Hurry for best selection.

Rick
rwsacto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013   #590
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

Crazy glue grafting fail. It rooted but the don't think its going to recover. I might give it a week and see if it will bounce back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crazy_glue_fail.jpg (91.4 KB, 22 views)
Old May 9, 2013   #591
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

Has anyone had a single success with the glue?
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013   #592
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

Delerium, I love potting up the DE plants, as well.

There is something really fun and satisfying about swishing the plant around in the water and seeing what the root structure looks like after the DE swirls away.

(One time, after potting up, I left the container of water and DE on the lower greenhouse shelf. When I came back the next day, there was an Anole lizard lounging with his body in the water and his little arms over the side. He was enjoying his "sauna" so much that he didn't even move until I was right up beside him. And even then, you could tell he was reluctant to go!)

Last edited by livinonfaith; May 9, 2013 at 10:45 PM.
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013   #593
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinonfaith View Post
Delerium, I love potting up the DE plants, as well.

There is something really fun about satisfying about swishing the plant around in the water and seeing what the root structure looks like after the DE swirls away.

(One time, after potting up, I left the container of water and DE on the lower greenhouse shelf. When I came back the next day, there was an Anole lizard lounging with his body in the water and his little arms over the side. He was enjoying his "sauna" so much that he didn't even move until I was right up beside him. And even then, you could tell he was reluctant to go!)
Not only that but plants grown in DE transplant easily without to much shock even after you rinse the DE off. I really enjoy using it & re-using it.
Old May 9, 2013   #594
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

What do you think about growing a Maxifort plant out to maturity, taking the suckers off to use in your rootless grafting process. It would seem you could harvest a dozen or so, rooting stalks this way.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013   #595
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

That's the plan Ray. Thanks to Marla i can get started on growing a few plants for harvesting suckers. I will also try to save fruit and see if the F1's are anywhere near as good as the original.

I am curious to know if anyone else has had any success with side grafting? According to the Johnny seeds grafting video with side grafting you can use different size plants which is why i want to give it a try. Another reason i want to try this is to see if its less stressful on the tomato graft. I was hoping for some input.
Old May 9, 2013   #596
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinonfaith View Post
Has anyone had a single success with the glue?
livinonfaith,
I had excellent success with glue.
25 for 35 with glue and 1 for 1 with a grafting clip. I am writing up a post with photos but other more pressing matters keep getting in the way. Hope to finish it this weekend.
Also need to get my plants outside and start hardening them off! Wanted to plant this weekend but that's just not going to happen.....
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013   #597
beeman
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delerium View Post
I am curious to know if anyone else has had any success with side grafting? According to the Johnny seeds grafting video with side grafting you can use different size plants which is why i want to give it a try. Another reason i want to try this is to see if its less stressful on the tomato graft. I was hoping for some input.
Still waiting for my supplies to arrive. Your USPS is slower, nowadays, than the second coming.
I would suggest a side graft might be more successful, due to two roots being involved.
I also note in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHnOYcI6B44 they almost strip off all the foliage from the scion, much more than I have seen from the photo samples on this thread, which would lead to less expiration, surely less wilting?
Comments?
beeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013   #598
rwsacto
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delerium View Post
That's the plan Ray. Thanks to Marla i can get started on growing a few plants for harvesting suckers. I will also try to save fruit and see if the F1's are anywhere near as good as the original.

I tried 4 side grafts-all failed for me. Problems included misalignment of the cuts and positioning a larger clamp to hold them together without slipping (I could not see to check the graft). Also labeling:-on the one that took, I cut the rootstock off instead of the scion roots.

Less operator error should result in better success.

Good Luck,
Rick
rwsacto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2013   #599
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsacto View Post
I tried 4 side grafts-all failed for me. Problems included misalignment of the cuts and positioning a larger clamp to hold them together without slipping (I could not see to check the graft). Also labeling:-on the one that took, I cut the rootstock off instead of the scion roots.

Less operator error should result in better success.

Good Luck,
Rick
Yup misalignment is always the case with grafting. The one i did earlier a few posts up is doing okay. No humidity treatment just sitting in a glass of water in a shaded spot. It's amazing how fast the Johnny seeds guy does his side grafting. So my new project has started to study root stocks and its effects on controlled scions. Killing time till we get some ripe tomatoes. Our temps are starting to hit 90's again for a few days - so i am sure to see blossom drops. Today we are harvesting some cauliflower we have been blanching. Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend. And Happy Mothers day to any mothers out there.
Old May 11, 2013   #600
z_willus_d
Tomatovillian™

Delerium, I've been harvesting a lot of cauliflower these past several weeks myself. I'll be pulling the last of it this weekend to make room for the last of my grafted seedlings. What do you do after blanching the crops? I have more than I can use in the time they stay fresh. I've been making soup and concentrated cauliflower for later use.
-naysen
z_willus_d is offline   Reply With Quote