Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 27, 2017   #616
imp
Tomatovillian™

I hated to do this, but turned on the air conditioner. <sigh>, there goes the bill. <growl>. It was so hot and getting stuffy even with the ceiling fan, it was hard to breathe comfortably.

I am dreading August.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2017   #617
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
I hated to do this, but turned on the air conditioner. <sigh>, there goes the bill. <growl>. It was so hot and getting stuffy even with the ceiling fan, it was hard to breathe comfortably.

I am dreading August.
Way over 90F here.

I am resisting to turn on the AC. It is only May for Pete's sake.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2017   #618
bigpinks
Tomatovillian™

Got an unexpected day off and have suckered, staked and tied three rows of eleven ea in the past hour and a half. 80 here but my shirt was soaked after ten minutes. Fat and outa shape doesn't jive with getting the garden going. Love it tho. Maybe have time for two more rows before I wear out or the rain arrives. Looks like Louisville is wet and its coming my way.
bigpinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2017   #619
imp
Tomatovillian™

We are hitting a hundred, then plus some for all the paving, etc as I am downtown just about.

I hated to do it, but breathing is very nice. Besides, if too hot, I won't eat or sleep well.
Old May 27, 2017   #620
Hoosier
Tomatovillian™

It's definitely air you can wear here. Been out in the garden all day and man was it muggy. Only 84 degrees but the heat index is 90+ with the humidity being in the mid 70's. Now sitting in the AC and it feels really good.
Hoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2017   #621
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

I am dreading August.
I don't know where you are but my a/c is on at least 11 months out of the year. It is so humid/muggy hear most of the time so a/c it is. I hate August too, and June, July and September can be added too. After that I don't mind being outside.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2017   #622
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
We are hitting a hundred, then plus some for all the paving, etc as I am downtown just about.

I hated to do it, but breathing is very nice. Besides, if too hot, I won't eat or sleep well.
We are getting over one hundred today too, hubby is at the race track burning up today.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old May 27, 2017   #623
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockporter View Post
I don't know where you are but my a/c is on at least 11 months out of the year. It is so humid/muggy hear most of the time so a/c it is. I hate August too, and June, July and September can be added too. After that I don't mind being outside.
Wichita Falls. We have the bike endurance race in August, near the end, and it is brutal. I didn't expect the end of May to be this hot, LOL, but it is as it is.
Old May 27, 2017   #624
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Wichita Falls. We have the bike endurance race in August, near the end, and it is brutal. I didn't expect the end of May to be this hot, LOL, but it is as it is.
Wow, I thought that area was really hot most of the year too, unless snowing of course. I thought you had a dry heat. Oh, that's the difference, dry heat and not humid heat.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old May 27, 2017   #625
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Depends on the weather. You get a nice soaking thunderstorm followed by a 100° day and you'll want to go to Houston to cool off...

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2017   #626
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

We had some severe storms move through around 5 pm and thankfully the worst part stayed a few miles away. There were 3 tornado warnings with 15 miles, mostly south of us. We
Did get about an inch of rain and thankfully dodged the hail. If this keeps up I might get some tomatoes this year.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2017   #627
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I have spent most of the day outside cooking, eating, watering, looking, fertilizing and putting out more snail killer and it is now 85.
Inside feels good at 70.
Just as the sun set my neighbor decided to weed wack and vacuum his driveway.
What an intrusion on an otherwise wonderful and peaceful evening.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2017   #628
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

Yo Hoosier, over here in Brownsburg had a hard wind last evening around 9:30, several tom plants with a bit of damage - no hail, not too bad. There are 6 pear trees ripped apart so winds must have hit 60 mph for a bit. They say possible more for tomorrow - hope the race gets done ok and we don't get hammered! I have 60 in the ground now for a couple weeks - all doing well - I did a lot of Dwarfs
for the first time-little stocky fella's So we shall see..........good luck to you!
Pete
tryno12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2017   #629
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

Oh, still plenty of indeterminate's but all/most of the plants are heirlooms like the Brandy.... whatever - no Champion, Jetstar, Celebrity etc as I usually plant - hope I am not sorry
tryno12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2017   #630
Hoosier
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryno12 View Post
Yo Hoosier, over here in Brownsburg had a hard wind last evening around 9:30, several tom plants with a bit of damage - no hail, not too bad. There are 6 pear trees ripped apart so winds must have hit 60 mph for a bit. They say possible more for tomorrow - hope the race gets done ok and we don't get hammered! I have 60 in the ground now for a couple weeks - all doing well - I did a lot of Dwarfs
for the first time-little stocky fella's So we shall see..........good luck to you!
Pete
I got missed, barely. Just to the south they had 60 mph winds, golf ball size hail and flooding rains. I was really worried about it and spent most of the day caging and staking and trying to make sure my straw didn't get blown away. One more day today to hopefully dodge the worst of it and should be in the clear for awhile. Hope your plants come out of it ok. Weather looks good for awhile coming up at least.
Hoosier is offline   Reply With Quote