Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 16, 2017   #706
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

My package arrived safely today. HUGE THANKS to Gary and everyone who shared varieties for this amazing assortment of diversity!
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2017   #707
nicky
Tomatovillian™

Me too! I got a lovely Friday surprise when my overstuffed ravioli walked into the office. Thank you to all of the participants & a special thank you to Tormato. You are awesome !!!!

nickysgarden.wordpress.com
nicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2017   #708
spacetogrow
Tomatovillian™

My package also arrived safely, just in time for bizarrely hot weather (hey, 63 degrees outdoors in Minnesota in mid-February is HOT). But not hot enough to plant those lima beans.

Thanks to everyone who contributed, but especially to the fantastic efforts and skill of Tormato! Tatiana's Tomatobase website must have slowed way down these last several weeks from all of us MMMMers looking up so much stuff!

Thanks loads!

A great season to us all.
spacetogrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2017   #709
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Today...

AL/RI Se J
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2017   #710
imp
Tomatovillian™

Thank you for all the hard work, Tormato and veryone else too! Now, busy, busy tigger sorting seeds...
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2017   #711
upcountrygirl
Tomatovillian™

So, I go into the greenhouse today after getting back home to check on plants, trees, cuttings. Everything in my greenhouse is gone! All the seedlings my family planted that all of you so generously shared in the swap-gone! What's more? They disappear on the day when we take all the dogs to the vets for check-ups and shots. I honestly don't know whether to be mad or cry! We lock up all the other outside buildings. I never thought I would need to put a lock on my greenhouse! Left a master gardener friend a voice mail asking if it was too late to start over with tomato seedlings. I know it is for the peppers and eggplants. Some of those I don't even have any more of to try again with!
upcountrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2017   #712
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

I am heartbroken for you! What kind of scum that calls itself a gardener would do this? I don't understand that at all. Most thieves would never bother with a bunch of plants, not something a pawn shop would be interested in. Did they want them for themselves? Who could they sell to, if they did it for the money? Does not make much sense to me. I would go ahead and start more tomatoes, they should do ok, you'll just have a shorter harvest window in the fall. So sorry this had to happen.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2017   #713
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

That is absolutely AWFUL!!!!

Perhaps you could start a few of your favourites and plan to buy some bigger seedlings from a local nursery so that you can get some early tomatoes.

I am so sorry for you

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2017   #714
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

That sucks! I'd go to the farmers market for seedlings, might even see your own there. If not I'm sure someone will be selling some.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2017   #715
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Wow what a heavy blow... I'm so sorry. How many plants were there for these people to take? It must have taken them some time and effort to clean you out. My guess is that these plants will be for sale somewhere.

It should not be too late to be starting more seeds. I am just starting seeds up here in Wisconsin and our season is much shorter than yours down there. We still get a good crop, but later than yours. I say go for it! You can also pick up a few plants that might be to your liking somewhere.
Old March 31, 2017   #716
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Boy, that's low. If there are no acceptable tomato & pepper plants in your area, you can order some from the Internet.

Are there any Tomatovillians within driving distance of you? Folks with any extra plants might be able to get some to you. What area of SC are you in?

And, sadly, you need a lock on your greenhouse.

Sympathies,

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2017   #717
KC.Sun
Tomatovillian™

I'm so sorry. I had a similar incident happen to me recently, only they entered my home and destroyed everything.
Did you report it? It's commonly said that it's someone you know that commits the crime.

So sorry.
KC.Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2017   #718
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Upcountrygirl, did you report the theft to the police? They might be able to get security videos, maybe even catch the thieves. If nothing else, reporting it gives them an accurate record of area crime- you may not be the only one...

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2017   #719
KC.Sun
Tomatovillian™

Your neighbors might have security footage.
KC.Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2017   #720
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

That is awful. I would never have thought of someone stealing garden plants. I am at loss for words.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote