Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old July 18, 2006   #61
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Spatzb, I was just thinking of you the other day. Was going through the oldish files on the desktop, came across this wonderful pic of yours that I saved from last year:

If memory serves, that's Tasmanian Blushing Yellow and Moldavan Green (or maybe GMG?).

More piccies from you this year, I hope.

Bruce! My man! I've been waiting for you to start posting your wonderful pics. Any plans to do another ginormous multicolored layout on concrete this year?

Hope Wes improves for you as your season progresses. I was just totally bowled over by the flavor this year.

Carbon and Vorlon -- lovely! Carbon has been a fav of mine since Unca Earl spread The Word, and Vorlon was a first timer / very late start this year (SSE request), so I didn't get much fruit. However, I tasted/saw enough potential so it gets a good slot next spring.

Great pepper pics as well!

I'm pretty much to the *cough* 'move along folks, nothing more to see here' stage, but here's one more that I think is worth a mention:

Chapman
-- seeds from Carolyn. Good old fashioned red beefsteak type, strong flavor, just luscious:
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2006   #62
Adenn1
Tomatovillian™

Bruce and Suze:

Great pictures and comments...so help to a relative novice like myself who is only in his third year of growing toms. These threads are very helpful for planning for the next season...and yes I have already been thinking about it...call me crazy.

I hope to also contribute as I should have more varities maturing in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks again!
Adenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2006   #63
westocast73
Tomatovillian™

I echo Adenn1's sentiments. These threads are great for us Novices. The pictures give us a great visual to work with and the descriptions from the experienced gardeners are the icing on the cake. I too am planning for next year already ( and dying for my first tomato this year )
westocast73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2006   #64
chilhuacle
Tomatovillian™

Thanks all, glad you found them helpful.

Hi Suze,
Sadly I’m not going to have a pile of tomatoes this year to compete with the picture from last year. 100° + temperatures every two weeks pretty much takes care of all the blossoms. 105° yesterday - Texas weather!

Last year my Stump of the World was loaded top to bottom. This year it only has tomatoes on the bottom 1/3 of the plant, none have set since.

I’ll have to give Chapman a spot next year. Looks good.

As I understand it Vorlon is a stabilized wild cross of Cherokee Purple and Pruden's Purple. Not only does it taste great but also has an excellent texture. IMO the perfect tomato.

Bruce
chilhuacle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2006   #65
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

Suze and Bruce.....Truly inspirational. My Chapman plant is handling our wind and heat pretty well and I should be able to sample some in a few weeks....CAN'T WAIT.

I have had enough early types and cherries and am ready for the main event....

Please keep photos coming if youu should get anymore harvest!

Jeanne
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2006   #66
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default Great Show

Thanks for the great pics. A treat at this time of year.

Vorlon is on the list. I'd like some of those large peppers too. Stuffed with rice and Vorlon and herbs. Baked.

Interesting comments on the difference in seasons. Last year was a cracker, so a betting man would say I'm due for a bad one.

And, last year, Wes really did it for me Bruce. So give it another try.

Chapman looks like a great slicer Suze. Looking forward to Gogosha et al.

So, in respect of your seasons, what are the big producers?
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2006   #67
chilhuacle
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grub
And, last year, Wes really did it for me Bruce. So give it another try.
I will. I’ve had several do better in the second season with seed saved locally. Doesn’t really make sense but it seems to be.

Tangerine is one I really liked at the Morningsun Herb Farm tasting last year. It’s every bit as good here this year as it was there. I’d give it an 8 out of 10 and if just comparing it to the yellows/oranges I’ve tried, I’d say 10 \ 10. It has a bit of citrus flavor along with a very, very, good tomato taste. This will be on my permanent list for future plantings.

Bruce
Old July 19, 2006   #68
Adenn1
Tomatovillian™

My pictures are not as inviting as Bruce and Suze's...but here is a pic of my harvest of four Anna Russian tomatoes at the top (two more are missing from the picture...my neighbor was looking over at me and I had to share). The two yellow toms are what I am getting from my "fake potato leaf Azoychka".

Old July 19, 2006   #69
chilhuacle
Tomatovillian™

Looking good there, I love Anna Russian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adenn1
my neighbor was looking over at me and I had to share
I'd say time for a new fence or some accidental harvesting

Bruce
Old July 19, 2006   #70
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

Bruce, I agree with you on Tangerine. It has done well here too. (and yes, the ones sampled at MSHF were good enough for me to remember them out of all the ones sampled) I had previously grown Persimmon, and so grew both a few years ago to compare. P. had a paler, creamier color, while T. had a brighter orange color and a zippier flavor IMO, from my garden.

I find it easier to grow than Kellogg's Breakfast, which I also love.
Old July 20, 2006   #71
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Default Re: Great Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grub
So, in respect of your seasons, what are the big producers?
Aunt Ginny's Purple and Green Giant were both outrageously productive, with Aker's West Virginia and Cherokee Green as close seconds.

Honorable mentions go to Gary O' Sena (late start, but it caught up admirably), Earl's Faux, Azoychka, Lime Green Salad, Orange-1, Red Brandywine, Paul Robeson. Oh, and Kimberly. I've got one plant still going, and this one has been producing fruit for me since April 11. (I'm sure I'm forgetting a few)

As per usual, Juane Flammee cranked out multitudes of those luscious golf ball sized sweet-tart orbs that I've come to know and love.

Old July 20, 2006   #72
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adenn1
here is a pic of my harvest of four Anna Russian tomatoes at the top (two more are missing from the picture...my neighbor was looking over at me and I had to share). The two yellow toms are what I am getting from my "fake potato leaf Azoychka".
Anna is a favorite of mine, time to add it back next year. I also like Azoychka -- any thoughts on how yours compares to the real one? And, have you tasted either one of them yet?

Keep the piccies coming.
Old July 20, 2006   #73
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilhuacle
Tangerine is one I really liked at the Morningsun Herb Farm tasting last year. It’s every bit as good here this year as it was there. I’d give it an 8 out of 10 and if just comparing it to the yellows/oranges I’ve tried, I’d say 10 \ 10. It has a bit of citrus flavor along with a very, very, good tomato taste. This will be on my permanent list for future plantings.
*snif*

Tangerine didn't do very well for me, and ended up getting so diseased, I decided to pull it. Nice pic and report; I'll try again with it next year.
Old July 20, 2006   #74
Adenn1
Tomatovillian™

I have tried one Anna Russian...had it on a BLT the other night. Wow...what a great tasting tomato...been waiting how long for this??? It is hard for me to describe...mild...but very flavorful...just as a good tom should be. What I really like about it...was that it was all meat...very few seeds. This is my very first oxheart tomato (also growing German Red Strawberry)...I am hooked on them now.

Looking to next year, I want to try Kosovo and Wes...
Old July 21, 2006   #75
annietomatomad
Tomatovillian™

Bruce,

Sorry to hear Southern Night was not to your liking. When I grew it, the tomatoes were big and pretty tasty. Not small like you mentioned. Maybe the heat is just too much for it...I dunno...

But oh well, there are plenty of other blacks out there so not too big a lost.

This year, I'm growing Paul Robeson and Carbon. Still no ripe fruit but should be getting some soon. Can't wait...

Cheers, Annie
annietomatomad is offline   Reply With Quote