Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 30, 2015   #61
disneynut1977
Tomatovillian™

Sungold of course and Early girl. I know a lot of people may not agree, but early girl is just that, early. I have a short growing season and early girl made me so happy the first year I grew it.
Old January 31, 2015   #62
SummerSky
Tomatovillian™

My dad has his favorites that must be grown every year, all of them are hybrids. Since my garden is on my parent's farm, tending to his tomatoes is my ticket to having the rest of my garden.

Early Girl
Big Boy
Better Boy

I have no idea *why* he insists on both Big Boy and Better Boy, because for the life of me I can't tell them apart in the garden. All three of those hybrids produce very well. I can't comment on taste, because I only eat raw tomatoes with burgers or tacos, but he seems to like them. I can honestly say that when cooked into sauce with countless other types of tomatoes, they don't affect the taste of the finished product. They are consistent and reliable, producing ample amounts of tomatoes year after year. I like having them in the garden.

I have my own favorite that I love: Burpee's Big Mama. While I have bad luck with them as babies (and I don't mean they are weak, I mean if some freak accident happens, like dropping a 2x4 overhead support beam on a row or a calf getting loose and running pell-mell into the garden, it's always the Big Mamas that take the hit), I will keep ordering those seeds from Burpee. They are extremely reliable for me, my "bumper" paste tomatoes if you will. Plus their special brand of voodoo seems to keep tragedies away from the rest of the garden.
SummerSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2015   #63
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

I suspected the heat was a benefit to taste. Luckily I am not right on the ocean (11 miles inland)....so I have a good "compromise" situation with weather. I am just far enough inland to miss much of the summer fog/cool weather. thanks
Ed of Somis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2015   #64
Foose4string
Tomatovillian™

My favorite hybrid is Brandy Boy. By far, the tastiest of the hybrids I grow, and one of the earliest beefsteaks for me. Big Beef is very reliable and tasty. I still grow Better Boy every season. Deserves more credit than it receives. Not a huge fan of cherries but Sungold is definitely one of the best. I can't seem to get away from growing Early Girl either. They don't necessarily burst with flavor, but super productive and extremely reliable. It's always the first and last to produce.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Foose4string is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2015   #65
taboule
Tomatovillian™

Another vote for Early Girl, for already stated reasons (early and reliable.) I grew Best Boy for a couple years in a row and that was good too, better taste than EG. Everything else I grow is OP.

Once my stash of hybrid seeds is finished, I may not buy any more and go OP 100%.
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2015   #66
snugglekitten
BANNED

early girl is a keeper for me, well a re-upper, anyway.
snugglekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2015   #67
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

I like many of the varieties stated above but i would add sweet olive. A small red grape that has a nice sweet acid mix.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2015   #68
drew51
Tomatovillian™

I'm trying Big Mama for paste. I heard this was stabilized, I would love that seed!

Burpee's now has Super Sauce too, looks big!
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2015   #69
Foose4string
Tomatovillian™

Taboule, I tried Best Boy next to Better Boy last year. I didn't really see any improvement over Better Boy. They were nearly identical in all respects but Better Boy seemed to have a slight edge in production.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Foose4string is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2, 2015   #70
crazyoldgooseman
Tomatovillian™

I remember enjoying mountain pride, supersonic and celebrity when we grew for market in NJ and the eastern shore of Maryland. Now I'm a new Heirloom snob garden wise with a couple of sweet 100's by the back door to snack on.

-crazyoldgooseman
crazyoldgooseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2, 2015   #71
taboule
Tomatovillian™

Foose4string, WRT Best Boy, I am not surprised. It's a Burpee offering and they tend to recycle the same (or a very similar) variety with a new name every once in a while, simply for marketing purposes.
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2015   #72
gourmetgardener
Tomatovillian™

Kierano - Red Cocktail
Yellow Sun - Yellow Cocktail
Bellini - Orange Cocktail
Tiger - Brown Cocktail w/ tiger stripes
Espresso - Kumato type
Geronimo - Beefsteak
Sakura - Red Cherry
Montessino - Red Grape
Granadero - Roma
Pozzano - San Marzano
gourmetgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2015   #73
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I transplanted two Sungold into red solo-type cups yesterday, and have two more that I planted in cells a week or so ago. Juliet is a few days away from solo cups, and Early Girl was planted the same day as the Sungold backups. I had three Lemon Boy seeds that I planted in cells a few days ago.

Sungold
Juliet
Early Girl
Lemon Boy

I think I know what the first three are going to taste like, but am unsure about Lemon Boy. I wonder if Lemon Boy and Lemon Drop are close in taste? I know they are different in size. Lemon Boy is a hybrid. Lemon Drop is OP, but I don't think it's an heirloom yet? I read that Lemon Drop is a sport of Snow White Cherry. I'm going to grow them beside each other because of their names and to add future garden conversations.

I have no idea what a "Sport" is?
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2015   #74
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

A sport is a naturally occurring mutation.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2015   #75
hoefarmer
Tomatovillian™

Default Hybrid Tomatoes you like

Try Lemon boy. It is usually my first or second tomato of the season. I have grown it in OH, FL, OR, MO, and will now try it in Texas. Nice medium size tomato.
hoefarmer is offline   Reply With Quote