Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 21, 2011   #61
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I posted above that when I went to the Moravoseed site I saw that they did develop their own varieties, so maybe that's the "history".

Seems to me that a variety called Moravsky ___________would have some relationship with a company called Moravoseed.

I rechecked when I got my seeds from Andrey and it was in 2008.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Moravsky_Div

And I checked when Tania got her seeds and it was in 2007,

And I'd forgetten that it was a CV ( commercial variety), which for me at least strengthens the suggestion that Moravoseed bred Moravsky Div themselves.

And I do remember from a post above that when they checked Moravoseed just a few days ago that they were no longer listing it which is not that unusual since obviously since Andrey got his seeds in 2006 or 2007 there's nothing that says they simply didn't continue listing it for one reason or another.

I hope that you do get an answer back from Moravoseed.

And just noting that I'll not be on the computer that much today b'c it's now 76 F in this room, 71 F outside and while I've had the fans on all night and the screen doors allowing any breezes to come in, I can't get it cooled down more.

And the computer alone raises the temp in this room. If you looked at the thread when Craig came to visit me you'll see that my home is surrounded by large trees and a brook runs close by, but no AC b'c those of us who live here seldom have need for it. But these conditions are brutal, really. So I'll check in when I can and then get off line ASAP.
Old July 21, 2011   #62
tomakers
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
no AC b'c those of us who live here seldom have need for it. But these conditions are brutal, really.
Now is the time. I have a spare but I'm 200+ miles away.

My MD is about 3' and set fruit after being in the ground just about 3 1/2 weeks(about the same as Kimberly, although a much bigger plant), after a very late start. I would have sworn indeterminate, but I'm watering right now and I'll have to try my counting skills later.
Tom
Old July 21, 2011   #63
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dice View Post
Think of an Eastern Bloc Amishland...
This one woke me up with a laugh, Dice - thanks!
fortyonenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2011   #64
tomakers
Tomatovillian™

Mine is definitely indeterminate; branch, branch, branch, flower. I'm also sure my seeds are from Carolyn.
IT IS HOT!
Tom
Old July 21, 2011   #65
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

My moravsky has now 8 flower clusters on the one stem, each after 3 branches (I prune). Doesn't get more indeterminate than this I think.
As far as the taste, I'd describe it quite similar to the better cocktail tomatoes sold from netherlands. A bit creamy, soft texture, but otherwise ok, quite juicy and on the acidic side. Very good for salads. Production is 8-16 fruits per cluster in 40-100 grams each (1.5-2.5 oz) with a few bigger from megablooms. Ripes very fast once it starts ripening but still manages to have a good shelf life.
An appropriate early tomato overall.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2011   #66
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dice View Post
The name Moravsky Div (or Moravské Div) could be the invention
of a seed-selling firm in one of the CIS states or now independent
former Soviet states (like an Estonian seed seller) rather than
of Moravoseed themselves: a retail renaming of something that
they bought in bulk from a seed producer that described it as
"originally from Moravoseed".

(That could be how Andrey got both the name and the "determinate"
description for it.)

Think of an Eastern Bloc Amishland, for example: "anything can be
renamed as we see fit."
dice,

This is VERY possible, and I think this was likely the case.

Tania

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2011   #67
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Perhaps now is the time for me to e-mail Andrey and/or PM him and ask him to look at this thread. I think I saw his user name quite recently, but last summer Iknow he was away on business when I tried to contact him about his SSE listings, as I was asked to do, and he said that although he takes a laptop with him there aren't very many places to plug in.

So I''ll contact him and see how that goes.

And hopefully will find him before this thread gets even longer.
Old July 21, 2011   #68
WillysWoodPile

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
snip

Terry, were your MD plants in the bottom picture? I couldn't tell much from the upper picture except the fruits shown were not round; were those MD fruits? What was the source of your MD seeds?

Old July 21, 2011   #69
bcday
Tomatovillian™

Could those folks who have indeterminate Moravsky Div vines check on something -- see if not only the main stem but also each of the lateral branches consistently has three leaves between flower clusters and a growing point with leaves beyond the last flower cluster.

Somewhere, and I can't find it again now, I found a definition for semi-determinate that said one indication was that the main stem of the plant would have three leaves between flower clusters while the lateral branches (suckers) would not be as consistent, that some (not necessarily all) of the laterals would be determinate in character, meaning that the branch ends in a flower cluster without a new leaf growing beyond it or that there are only one or two leaves between flower clusters.
bcday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2011   #70
Marko
Tomatovillian™

Bcday, I checked it out and all branches have three leaves between flower clusters.
Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2011   #71
tomakers
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marko View Post
Bcday, I checked it out and all branches have three leaves between flower clusters.
Ditto. They all have 3.
Old July 22, 2011   #72
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Just to let you know that I e-mailed Andrey yesterday, as I said I would.

Is it possible that Moravsky Div has done what I call a "Green Grape" in terms of plant habit, as I noted in an above post?

Does it make a real difference if someone has MD plants that are indet and some have det or semi-det plants as long as the fruits are correct for the variety?

Personally I don't think so. When I compare the fruits as described by quite a few of you and look at some pictures and I don't agree with a completely round cherry as being correct for the variety is that meaningful, or is it a subtle difference with regard to weather and all the other variables?

Terry, before you even pictured the reverse of your seed pack I knew your seeds were from Andrey b'c of the type of plastic bag he uses, actually he uses two different very similar ones.

I simply cannot get this house cooled down and temps to be up in the high 90's again, with high humidity, so I'll just have to check back here from time to time since if I leave the computer on it increases the temps here in my bedroom where my computer is.

Fingers crossed since my Black Bears haven't shown up this summer, to date, and good thing that b'c I've left the sliding doors in the front part of the hexagon open to the screens as well as in the back room, my tomato seed packing room and general everything else room, as well as the front door screen door, to no avail in terms of trying to cool it down in here. My one cat kid, the less brilliant one, was out all day yesterday, probably under some fern fronds down by the brook and the other one, the brilliant one, was out for only about a half hour and she wanted in; she's now 13 yo.

So I sit in my recliner in the LV with a fan on high, with brilliant cat up behind me on the top of the recliner where from time to time she grooms me by licking my hair. I guess it's her way of trying to cool me down.

"til later.
Old July 23, 2011   #73
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Hi to all my friends here again. I'm back.

I've mentioned MD being semi-det. because I used to get its plants with different height as well from 0.4m to 1.5m in different growing conditions (outside/inside greenhouse). And it's really doesn't matter for me as well to identify it as det. or semi-det. But usually I call semi-det. quite short (not indet.) plant which are able to produce fruits during the whole season. That's why I've sent the seed pack on MD to Carolyn with semi-det. description.
Unfortunately I've no direct connection to Moravoseed. I've just buy their seeds here in Belarus from our seed companies who used to pack MS seeds in local seed packs.
Hope this info will be useful for all of you.

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2011   #74
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

Good to see you here, Andrey! I hope all is well for you.

Sherry
Sherry_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2011   #75
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrey_BY View Post
Hi to all my friends here again. I'm back.

I've mentioned MD being semi-det. because I used to get its plants with different height as well from 0.4m to 1.5m in different growing conditions (outside/inside greenhouse). And it's really doesn't matter for me as well to identify it as det. or semi-det. But usually I call semi-det. quite short (not indet.) plant which are able to produce fruits during the whole season. That's why I've sent the seed pack on MD to Carolyn with semi-det. description.
Unfortunately I've no direct connection to Moravoseed. I've just buy their seeds here in Belarus from our seed companies who used to pack MS seeds in local seed packs.
Hope this info will be useful for all of you.
Andrey, thanks for stopping by and posting.

We've gotten rather technical here in this thread as to internode distances to determine if a variety is det or indet, and there's nothing at all wrong with that, obviously, b'c it's correct. But I do think that most folks don't even know about that, call a variety det/indet/semi-det based on the appearance of the plant as to height or length of the vines if a person is just sprawling plants, and I don't see anything really wrong with that either as practical working knowledge.

What matters I think to most folks is the variety itself as to the fruits and their taste, production, etc.

So with you saying that with the original seeds you got from Moravoseed for MD that you too got plants of different heights and and that you don't care that much about heights I'm all for that and said so above a couple of times.

So I hope we're close to closure on MD right now.

And I just want to thank you personally for all the wonderful varieties that you've sent to me and many others over a many year period of time. So far not the best of year for tomatoes here but my fingers are crossed for the several new ones you sent me plus all my other new ones.