Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 17, 2015   #736
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

I am going to plant some for the fall and others for the spring. It is always fun to try new tomatoes.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2015   #737
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Ginny - I got the seeds today also. Thank you so much. Besides RY, did we all get the same ones? I will definitely grow several in the fall.

--
OTOH - Bad news at the dr - wrist is now off > 20 degrees - surgery tomorrow. He said it would continue to go to the placement of where it was when I broke it. yuk

He is the best hand surgeon in Melbourne.

Had to postpone my root canal .... didn't know but no dental work including cleanings for 6 weeks after surgery. I was partially thru the RC...

IDK if this is psychosomatic or not but my wrist hurts a lot more today.

Did a little online retail therapy - found gallon Neptunes Harvest for $40... with free shipping if spending $49+, plus a !0% off code (SITEWIDE) - bought NH crab shells to up the total (suppose to work well for nematodes and Ginny planted in the shells w/ no nematode roots)... site was - http://www.mynaturalmarket.com/advan...ies=us&x=0&y=0

will keep you posted re: their service. Sales tax was charged, so that ate part of the discount.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2015   #738
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

Sorry you have to have surgery but at least they getting you in there fast. The sooner it is done the sooner you can begin to heal.

I will be really interested in what you think about the crab shell for nematodes. I have considered trying it. That would be such a benefit to Florida gardeners.
Old June 17, 2015   #739
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Barb, I am so sorry to hear your news. They put a plate and many screws into my friend's arm and today he has 100% full function back. These surgeries are becoming routine and the surgeons are very practiced at them.

-Ginny, I also got seeds today, but haven't had time to open the envelope yet. Probably after dinner. Good luck with all you recent family issues. I just have a treat feeling about it, that surgery will go very well too, don't you worry at all.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2015   #740
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Barb, so sorry to hear about the surgery but like Kay said the sooner you get in and get it done the faster it will heal and be ready in time for fall!!

As far as the seeds.... some of the packages only had 15 seeds so I kept 5 and made two additional packs of 5. Some had 20 seeds and I kept 5 and made 3 packs of 5. So the ones that had 20 seeds, each of you got them. For the ones that had 15, I randomly put them in the pile and I didnt make a list of who got what (I knew I should have). But whatever you have in your stack at least one other person besides me has it and some of them we all four have. Clear as mud... lol.

Ginny

Ginny
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2015   #741
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Ginny, I think it is incredibly generous of you to have only a few seeds, but yet share them all with us. I feel very special. Many thanks.
Old June 17, 2015   #742
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Awwe, thanks Marsha. I think its so much fun when we grow and compare and share what we like. Some of the ones you've told me about are some of my faves. Cant wait to try Grightmires Pride and some of the others.... :-)

Ginny
Old June 19, 2015   #743
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Above are some of my kansas city crew. We leave Monday to go there. I really need to get the cucumbers transplanted. All the tomatoes but one are in 1/2 gallon pots. They are looking really healthy. Dark Brandywine Cherry, Purple Haze, Super Snow White, and Dark Galaxy. The solo cup is Amethyst Cream Cherry. All cherry plants for the hot summer.

Ginny
Old June 19, 2015   #744
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

I hope all of your plants will do well in their new home. Maybe you will even have some cooler temps there. It will be interesting to follow your plants progress in their new state.

It is so hot and dry here. They say we are the driest area in the state. I use to think too much rain was worse than not enough but am about to change my thoughts.
Old June 21, 2015   #745
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Ginny, I think it is incredibly generous of you to have only a few seeds, but yet share them all with us. I feel very special. Many thanks.
I 2nd this.

Just wanted to thank everyone for the well wishes. I had surgery on Thursday and went back to the hand clinic on Friday to get the huge wrap removed and back into my custom splint. Once that happened I was glad to feel my fingers. I can't go out at all b/c I can't sweat until stitches are removed on Friday.

Ginny - have a safe drive and post when you can.
Old June 21, 2015   #746
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

Barb I hope you have a fast recovery. You will hate having to stay inside until Friday but at least it is when it is too hot to be out much anyway.
Old June 21, 2015   #747
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Barb- I am so glad that your surgery is behind you. That arm has a bright future, I think!
Ginny- you are in my thoughts, I hope the surgery went really well for your MIL.
Kay- this heat is just killing me!
Old June 22, 2015   #748
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
My row of various Okras. The far end is Clemson Spineless, and they are growing far more vigorously than the other 3 types. The ones with the red stems are called Hill Country. They are short, fat fruits with green and red. jimmy T are closest to the camera. They are a green fruited. Third row over, red stems, are Burgundy, has solid red fruit, and even red speckles in the leaves.
Marsha
Thanks for the picture of your garden. It's great to see what others are doing with their gardens. I was curious if you or anyone else you may know have tried growing Yacon in Florida. Looks like potentially a nice root plant to grow in addition to sweet potatoes, That is if it will grow here successfully.
Thanks Larry
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2015   #749
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

not me Larry; I don't bother with potatoes either though.

Marsha - have you picked your mangoes yet? We picked 2; nice and pink but like rocks. They weighed 1 lb 10 oz and almost 2 lbs. They are beautiful as well as the rest on the tree.
Old June 22, 2015   #750
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

I must have missed it re: Ginny's MIL having surgery. I hope she is OK and recovering.