Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 22, 2015   #826
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Ginny, I think this is going to be your best bet. Tomato Growers Supply has both, 30 seeds (that ends up being 50-60) for $3.65.
http://www.tomatogrowers.com/searchprods.asp

Sample Seeds counts out 10 seeds exactly for the $1.50, so thirty would cost $4.50.
I've never bought from TomatoGrowers - sounds like they are very generous with the seed counts. I LIKE THAT.

RE: SampleSeeds - I thought Remy was really generous with the count. Like almost double the specified count.

ParkSeed OTOH gives you the EXACT count; I don't buy from them anymore.

Here's my list of generous counts.

Everwilde very generous - was my first vendor outside of Parkseed; not huge tomato selections especially for the pros here.

HeritageSeed was really generous with the counts also.

RareSeed (Baker's) also is generous; much more with their own seed than when they sell others like Wild Boar but always above the stated #.

TradewindFruits - always generous

ClearCreek - always generous - very limited tomato list.

---
Anyone know if Seedsnsuch is generous? I would buy us all a pack of sunchocolo but it says 5 seeds. Geez, what if they just gave 5 seeds in the pack? After so many generous vendors, I would be disappointed.

---
Please add to the list - you don't need to call out on the non-generous ones.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2015   #827
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

My experience is Sandhill Preservation is very generous also.
Thanks for listing other vendors. Good to Know!

Last edited by Zone9b; July 22, 2015 at 11:19 AM.
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2015   #828
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

I bought 2 packs of SunGolds from SSS, and she gave exactly 10 seeds in each pack. She may be more generous with non hybrids.

Sandhill was super generous, but no hybrids.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2015   #829
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Marsha and Barb and Larry,

Also Barb, I was just on the verge of taking you up on your offer of some seedlings, but then yesterday we got the results on my mom and they feel she has a really good chance of beating the cancer with chemo. So i will be with her a lot the next few months and I'm going to start the tomato babies at her place. Also I'm finally ordering the worm bin and having it shipped to her place.

Thank you everyone for the support and good thoughts and prayers and thank you Barb for offering to start some seeds for me.... :-)

Oh im going to order the blueberry plants from etsy also... :-)

Ginny
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2015   #830
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

That's great news re: your mom!

When will you be in Fl? Let me know if you want some started even if it is just a few weeks. I'm really good with the germination and early life of plants.

Also, I never ordered from Etsy before, so would feel more comfortable if you held off until I received mine. I haven't received a shipping confirmation either. I think it said 2 weeks.

I know not a huge amount of $, but I would feel bad if it didn't work out.

---
BTW - what kind of worm bin are you getting? I have the Worm Inn. It's really easy getting started with a WI, my worms never tried to escape, and hard to kill them. I keep it indoors.

---
Went beach walking again this AM, and saw 2 baby turtles struggling to get into the ocean; kept getting knocked back by the small waves....but they both got in.

---
Over 10 tracks from the mommas too.
Old July 22, 2015   #831
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

Ginny, that is great news about your mom. It is so good she has you to be with her and she will probably enjoy the seed starting. There is something about watching seeds germinate and form plants, especially tomatoes.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2015   #832
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Ginny, I am overjoyed at this wonderful news for you. Glad you will be,able to grow your garden too. Go mom, go!
Old July 22, 2015   #833
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Thank you Marsha, Barb, and Kay... we are very hopeful. My mom was so happy to hear she has a fighting chance as our we. She said she wasn't ready to go yet as she hasnt packed her bags... lol.

Barb - i will hold off ordering the blueberry plants.

I am supposed to be back in Orlando on 8/1 .

The worm farm is one of these two... i cant quite figure out why the 5 drawer one is cheaper then the 4 drawer. Hard to see the details on my phone. I'm on the plane heading from san diego to kansas city right now.... yay!!

5 tray - 99.95
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001HW...pf_rd_i=mobile

4 tray 109.95
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002LH...d8L&ref=plSrch

Ginny

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Old July 22, 2015   #834
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiishergurl View Post
Thank you Marsha, Barb, and Kay... we are very hopeful. My mom was so happy to hear she has a fighting chance as our we. She said she wasn't ready to go yet as she hasnt packed her bags... lol.

Barb - i will hold off ordering the blueberry plants.

I am supposed to be back in Orlando on 8/1 .

The worm farm is one of these two... i cant quite figure out why the 5 drawer one is cheaper then the 4 drawer. Hard to see the details on my phone. I'm on the plane heading from san diego to kansas city right now.... yay!!

5 tray - 99.95
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001HW...pf_rd_i=mobile

4 tray 109.95
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002LH...d8L&ref=plSrch

Ginny

P.s. Marsha i would love to try some of the dried mango if the offer still stands. If so i will pm m6 moms address to you.

And Kay i would like to try some rocoto seeds... :-)

Old July 22, 2015   #835
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

I am so glad you want Rocoto seeds. Do you want me to mail them to your Oak Hill address? If you want them sent to your mom's address send a pm with that address.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2015   #836
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

Ginny, that surely is good news. Fantastic.

I remember when you folks were harvesting tomatoes and it was cold and bleak here and I was so jealous. Today, I took a bag of tomatoes to the homeless program at my church, another to my hairdresser, and still had enough for a great batch of roasted tomato sauce for dinner.

Ginger, so far I have harvested Zanadu and Girl Girls Weird Thing, though I have not yet tasted the later. Loved Zanadu. I also got Sakharnyi Pudovichok from you which I planted in the community garden plot. All the tomatoes there looked great there and then all died a very quick death. I suspect those nearby trees might be Black Walnuts that caused the sudden demise. Luckily, I have a few seeds left for next year. Thanks so much.
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2015   #837
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiishergurl View Post
P.s. Marsha i would love to try some of the dried mango if the offer still stands. If so i will pm m6 moms address to you.

And Kay i would like to try some rocoto seeds... :-)

Ginny, email it to me, OK?
Old July 24, 2015   #838
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Another vendor to add to the seed generous category is Victory Seeds.
I have found them to also be quite generous.

I am happy for you as well Ginny
Larry
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2015   #839
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Just wanted to post that I have all the Mangos spoken for now. Those who are getting some, please tell me how you liked them.
Old July 24, 2015   #840
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Just wanted to post that I have all the Mangos spoken for now. Those who are getting some, please tell me how you liked them.
Will do - Can't wait to try them.

We have had so much rain since Sunday - the mornings are usually sunny and then it pours; probably like what Ginny goes through.

Good News - I was released from therapy today; I think a week early, but I only had to go once this week and once last week. I was really faithful doing the exercises at home. Still need to wear the split 100% until I go back to the surgeon.

Larry - thanks for the info: I will compile a full list.

Another one that was fairly generous was TomatoFest plus they give a free pack of tomato seeds - however, it's probably what I bought, but none really did well for me. I bought the hot and humid container package - I think I will try growing them this fall. I planted them in spring of '14 .... maybe I was too late in the year.

Anyone have insight on Johnny's? Marianna's Heirloom Seeds? J&L Gardens? Casey's? Any others of interest?