Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 24, 2015   #841
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
Will do - Can't wait to try them.

We have had so much rain since Sunday - the mornings are usually sunny and then it pours; probably like what Ginny goes through.

Good News - I was released from therapy today; I think a week early, but I only had to go once this week and once last week. I was really faithful doing the exercises at home. Still need to wear the split 100% until I go back to the surgeon.

Larry - thanks for the info: I will compile a full list.

Another one that was fairly generous was TomatoFest plus they give a free pack of tomato seeds - however, it's probably what I bought, but none really did well for me. I bought the hot and humid container package - I think I will try growing them this fall. I planted them in spring of '14 .... maybe I was too late in the year.

Anyone have insight on Johnny's? Marianna's Heirloom Seeds? J&L Gardens? Casey's? Any others of interest?
Awesome news about your hand Barb. Congrats!
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2015   #842
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

Barb that is great news. All that faithful work in PT paid off.

The thing I do not like about Johnny's is their high price for shipping. Other than that they are a good company. I like J&L because they are creating a lot of interesting new tomatoes. You always get a free trial of one of their new experimental tomatoes. In my last shipment Lee wrote a note the said "I have a lot of admiration for you Florida tomato growers!" It is nice to work with a company that realizes the challenges we face.

High Mowing Seeds offers free shipping on all orders. All of their seeds are organic and there seeds are certified non GMO. I think they are the only seeds company that have that certification. Their tomato selection is not huge. I buy a lot of other seeds from them though.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2015   #843
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Ginger - THANK YOU - They were delivered today. I've never tasted dehydrated mango before and tried one - yummy! I'm down to my last 2 fresh mangos so this will certainly extend my mango season.

---
Kay let me know when you get your UF seeds. Did you request immediate shipping via email? - email was on that site where we donated. I didn't request immediate shipping but now I want to plant them for fall.

--
Ginny - no blueberry plants shipping info yet. My CC was charged when I ordered. I did find another source - gallon container, I thought price was good but shipping was expensive. However, if you spend $69 shipping is free. Today I started my attempt cloning them. Only trying 3 so far. If I get any to root (it takes awhile) I will grow some for you too.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2015   #844
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

Barb, I did request immediate shipment since I had already planted my other seeds. I got them last Friday. They had sold out of Garden Treasure so they sent one simply called New Hybrid in its place but I did get Garden Gem.
Old July 28, 2015   #845
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Marsha i got the mango today. It is awesome!! Thank you soooo much... :-)

Ginny
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2015   #846
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Kay i cant find the post about how to tell if pepper seeds are good or not. How long until they should sink? The ones that sink are the good ones right?

Ginny
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2015   #847
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiishergurl View Post
Marsha i got the mango today. It is awesome!! Thank you soooo much... :-)

Ginny
Thank you!
Old July 28, 2015   #848
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

Ginny, the ones that sink are the good one. You don't have let them stay in the water for any length of time. You will be able to tell within 5 minutes which are good. It is hard to find things on our on going post. I have tried a few times to find something that I want to read again and usually give up.
Old July 28, 2015   #849
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

If you specify tomatoville.com and the name of the thread and a fairly accurate description of what was said in the post Google does a pretty fair job. However, if one doesn't know the name of the thread, which for me is often the case, then I know exactly what you are saying. It is very difficult. Also, as I'm sure you are already aware, finding something in a thread as long a Hey Fellow Floridians is a bear.
Happy Searching,
Larry
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2015   #850
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Hey Everyone

I'm for starting a new thread for the fall season. This would be a good time to do it since only Kay (I think) has started her seeds.

Also, I know we need more seeds like ...., but check out the thread in GD called Orange Jazz - It is one of Fred Hempel creations. He has made his 7 new varieties available previously available only to his collaborating members with a new program called Kickstarter. There are different contributions points $10, $20, $100, and a full collaborating membership of $200. He started it yesterday and needs $1K to go forward, and is up to $625 early this AM.

All the info is available in the Orange Jazz thread:

I'm not trying to enable anyone, but the $20 seems to be a really good deal (that's the one I did) Here's the link:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...tomato-project

And he will have seeds ready to ship to us in August so we can grow for the fall.
Old July 31, 2015   #851
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Default Seed soaking in Foilage Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiishergurl View Post
Kay i cant find the post about how to tell if pepper seeds are good or not. How long until they should sink? The ones that sink are the good ones right?

Ginny
Fiishergurl,in the past you have mentioned soaking seeds in Foilage Pro.Some questions.
1.Do you do it for optimal performance?
2.Is it for resurrecting older seed germination?
3.How long and how much in solution?
4.Is it for all seed varieties,or just hard shell,soft shells etc.
Reason for asking is I am going to start my season germination's soon and want to cull out older seed stocks and anything I can do to improve germination results will be helpful.Tomatoes,hot peppers,tea plants,cotton tobacco,basils(all herbs)Poppy plants,papayas will be on the menu for starters.Thanx Kurt
Old July 31, 2015   #852
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
Fiishergurl,in the past you have mentioned soaking seeds in Foilage Pro.Some questions.
1.Do you do it for optimal performance?
2.Is it for resurrecting older seed germination?
3.How long and how much in solution?
4.Is it for all seed varieties,or just hard shell,soft shells etc.
Reason for asking is I am going to start my season germination's soon and want to cull out older seed stocks and anything I can do to improve germination results will be helpful.Tomatoes,hot peppers,tea plants,cotton tobacco,basils(all herbs)Poppy plants,papayas will be on the menu for starters.Thanx Kurt
It was probably me not Ginny soaking seeds in Foliage Pro. I don't think Ginny uses the Dyna-xxx products. I'm not sure if you are familiar with Dyna-XXX products, but 'heavy feeding' is 1 teaspoon per gallon per month.

Most recently I did it for the pepper seeds that didn't sink via Kay's method. I dropped the floaters in water/foliage pro (just a little - same amount as if you were using it for feeding plants but scaled down to a cup of water).

I left them in FP for hours (didn't pay attention to time).

Result - all but 4 of the floaters ended up sinking. I planted about 8 seeds -(4 per cell) and ALL germinated. This was early June - and I ended up breaking my wrist so I transplanted the FP seeds and the true sinkers with 1 hand. On the FP seedlings, I had to shake them apart since they were so confined. They are all healthy plants now with flowers and some peppers. At this point, I don't know which were the true sinkers vs FP sinkers.

The test would be to plant some of the FP sinkers NOW - 2 months later. I have always went from the FP water to the potting mix. But I do have pepper seeds left so I can try it.

Shortly before this, I used FP for tomato seeds I got on TV from 2007. They germinated as well. Same amount of FP and left for hours.

In the past, I have used FP for Jacaranda seeds which are really hard to germinate. (germination went from <10% to approx. 50%).

If I buy new seeds from a vendor, I DON'T use FP - I expect them to germinate.

I guess I only use it when I'm expecting a problem with germination.

So to your questions:
1 & 2, both yes
3. small amount / hours /have not left soft shell seeds overnight though.
4. All kinds of seeds.

Once I'm done with the FP mix, I water existing plants with it. No waste.

I read about using the Miracle Grow fertilizer for tomato germination here at TV. I just substituted FP because I already had it.
Old July 31, 2015   #853
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

I think it would be good to start a new fall thread. This one is so long that it takes forever to go back and find something. Larry is right about being able to search but sometimes I am not sure what I want to search for. I just remember one of you had mentioned something that I wanted to go back. to.

Most of my fall tomatoes are in 4 inch pots now. They are going to have to stay under lights until at least mid August before I dare start hardening off.

I am very excited about the color of the foliage on Cherokee Tiger. When it first grew I thought something was wrong because I had not researched it enough to know that was the correct leaf color.
Old July 31, 2015   #854
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrobbins View Post
I think it would be good to start a new fall thread. This one is so long that it takes forever to go back and find something. Larry is right about being able to search but sometimes I am not sure what I want to search for. I just remember one of you had mentioned something that I wanted to go back. to.

Most of my fall tomatoes are in 4 inch pots now. They are going to have to stay under lights until at least mid August before I dare start hardening off.

I am very excited about the color of the foliage on Cherokee Tiger. When it first grew I thought something was wrong because I had not researched it enough to know that was the correct leaf color.
Like that chartreuse foliage? I think they are dwarf too.
Old July 31, 2015   #855
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Kay, When you start the new fall garden thread let us know the name. I haven’t participated in Hey Fellow Floridians very long, only since Ginny invited me a couple of months ago, but, it is a great thread for me given that we have some many common gardening interests, all being Florida gardeners.
I too have planted my tomato seeds for the fall. I planted approx 104 2 1/2 “ seed cups between July 21 and July 24. Of these about 90 are up. A few now have true leaves. I planted 30 seed cups more yesterday. I never thought of planting under grow lights in the summer. I just planted them on the front porch. I have them so they get some morning sun. Soon I will try to move the ones with true leaves from one side of the porch to the other, so they get both morning and later afternoon sun. I hope it works.
I think I have 29 varieties and only 3 have I grown before. Those being West Virginia 63, Early Wonder and Clear Pink Early. Thanks to knowing what other Florida gardeners are doing, I am in new territory now.
Thanks to all of you.
Larry
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote