Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 29, 2017   #841
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat62 View Post
I love fishing. Mostly panfish for me. Crappie, bluegill & bass.
About the only fish I target are Catfish and Crappie. I usually just catch and release the Catfish from the river because of E. coli after heavy spring rains. When looking to keep them there is a large reservoir I like to fish in OK. I try to load up the freezer with crappie when the bite is good. Bass fishing just seems to much like work to me.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2017   #842
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

Man after my own heart. Crappie fishing is by far my favorite.
Old June 30, 2017   #843
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Another scorcher today. Right now it's 86 degrees and 69% humidity. Just came in from feeding everything and I'm already all wet again. Ick!

Heat Advisory

Weather Updated: Jun 30 3:46AM
Issued by the National Weather Service
For Aransas County, Texas
HEAT ADVISORY FROM 1PM CDT FRI UNTIL 7PM CDT FRI ...HEAT ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 1 PM THIS AFTERNOON TO 7 PM CDT THIS EVENING... THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN CORPUS CHRISTI HAS ISSUED A HEAT ADVISORY, WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 1 PM THIS AFTERNOON TO 7 PM CDT THIS EVENING.

* TEMPERATURE...HEAT INDEX VALUES BETWEEN 110 AND 114 DEGREES.

* IMPACTS...PROLONGED OUTDOOR ACTIVITY WITHOUT PROPER REST... HYDRATION...OR OTHER PRECAUTIONARY ACTIONS MAY RESULT IN HEAT EXHAUSTION OR EVEN HEAT STROKE.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... A HEAT ADVISORY MEANS THAT HEAT INDICES OF 110 DEGREES OR HIGHER ARE EXPECTED OVER MOST OF THE AREA FOR AT LEAST TWO HOURS. PROLONGED EXPOSURE COMBINED WITH PHYSICAL ACTIVITY COULD CAUSE HEAT EXHAUSTION AND EVEN HEAT STROKE.

THE ELDERLY, THE VERY YOUNG, THE SICK, AND PEOPLE WITH HEART CONDITIONS ARE MOST AT RISK IN EXTREME HEAT. WEAR LIGHTWEIGHT, LIGHT-COLORED CLOTHING, AS IT REFLECTS HEAT AND SUNLIGHT AND HELPS YOUR BODY STAY COOLER. DRINK PLENTY OF LIQUIDS, PREFERABLY WATER, EVEN IF YOU DO NOT FEEL THIRSTY.

AVOID ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES. TRY TO GET OUT OF THE HEAT FOR A FEW HOURS EACH DAY AND INTO AN AIR CONDITIONED PLACE OR SWIMMING POOL.

REDUCE, ELIMINATE, OR RESCHEDULE STRENUOUS ACTIVITIES TO THE COOLEST TIMES OF THE DAY. IF YOU MUST BE OUTSIDE, REDUCE YOUR ACTIVITIES. DRINK PLENTY OF WATER, TAKE FREQUENT BREAKS AND WEAR LIGHT-COLORED CLOTHING. &&

~Margaret Atwood~

Last edited by Rockporter; June 30, 2017 at 10:09 AM.
Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2017   #844
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

That makes it awful tough to enjoy Tomatoes for sure. When it gets that hot and humid here in the afternoon I have a "wet" day so I can only imagine...........
tryno12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2017   #845
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat62 View Post
Man after my own heart. Crappie fishing is by far my favorite.
This spring just as the crappie spawn began we got 25" of rain over a months time and had record flooding in the reservoir I fish. It scattered the fish and messed up the works. Thankfully I was able to put enough in the freezer before that mess for about 20 meals for my wife and I. I have some thawing for dinner tonight. :-)
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2017   #846
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

Same thing here in the Ohio valley. River & creeks have been mudholes all Spring. Got plenty in the freezer but I've fished less this year than in the last 10 years easy. Hoping Fall is better.
Old July 1, 2017   #847
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Thank goodness our heat index is down at 105-109 today. It's currently 85 degrees and 70% humidity. Hubby will be out there mowing shortly.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2017   #848
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

i got wet again yesterday is wasn't from perspiration it rained, i bowed and gave thanks, 2 days off from dragging the hoses!
tryno12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2017   #849
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

We're paying for yesterday's inch-and-a-half rain. It's windy today which helps, but it's humid 64% and hot 93. It actually feels pretty good in the shade, but I'm trying to mow out in the sun. I need to get it done today because tomorrows' forecast is at least 5 degrees hotter with the heat index around 110.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2017   #850
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
We're paying for yesterday's inch-and-a-half rain. It's windy today which helps, but it's humid 64% and hot 93. It actually feels pretty good in the shade, but I'm trying to mow out in the sun. I need to get it done today because tomorrows' forecast is at least 5 degrees hotter with the heat index around 110.
Windy 14 MPH hot 97 and dry 42% humidity, heat index of 106.
Watered twice today.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2017   #851
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Windy 14 MPH hot 97 and dry 42% humidity, heat index of 106.
Watered twice today.
Worth
I think I got watered several times today. My clothes are stuck to me. is right.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2017   #852
bower
Tomatovillian™

Rained yesterday morning and now raining again here... but the temperature is down just a wee bit... actually didn't make the forecasted high, instead it didn't get above 44F here today. Rah rah Julyuary.
I only have a few tomato plants outdoors, so I just told them to ignore it.
Actually it was a great weekend for my garden... I can really work when it's cold enough to wear a jacket... especially on a federal holiday. I worked hard and had fun... at least until it got too wet.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2017   #853
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

Heat index here...107 and about 100% humidity. Rain through Tuesday. Wishing I had been born where the average NEVER exceeds 70.
mensplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2017   #854
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I saved a post from a few years ago that ran down the effects of temperature on tomatoes. It said that 70f to 92f is the "Goldilicks zone where tomatoes grow prolifically and fruit set is high. We've been in that zone for the past two days and the ten day forecast for day-time temps says we'll stay there.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2017   #855
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

all i can say is i am glad june is done with.
someone here said it rained 21 out of 30 days. i believe it.
it rained overnight.

weather here has been unseasonably cool even for here. very few days where we have hit the 70 degree mark. mostly its been in the 50s or 60s. people here making hay for their critters can't. you need four days of dry weather to do it.
i am hoping july warms up, and drys up a bit.

keith
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote