Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 27, 2018   #856
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Karen, You have a beautiful Karma family. What great looking seedlings.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2018   #857
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
Karen, I see tomatoes on the left plant. What plant is that?
And yes the new seedlings are huge for the 33 days.
Hi Ella,
I have some older plants that are already fruiting, I believe that one is Maskotka
That group planted the last week of January
Karen
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2018   #858
DanishGardener
Tomatovillian™

Sounds like I need to try some of these- especially the KARMA Purple Multiflora is interesting, since I have been working on a medium size, black, PL multiflora myself since 2011.
Those two are the only ones I know of with those specific traits.

What varieties has been released from this project so far?

Last edited by DanishGardener; April 30, 2018 at 04:25 PM.
DanishGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2018   #859
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanishGardener View Post
Sounds like I need to try some of these- especially the KARMA Purple Multiflora is interesting, since I have been working on a medium size, black, PL multiflora myself since 2011.
Those two are the only ones I know of with those specific traits.

What varieties has been released from this project so far?
The KARMA pink is being trialed by quite a few people at F7. It was advanced an extra generation because it has appeared quite consistent all along right since my original F2 selection. I am growing out the F6 of the others this season and they continue to show some variability.
Depending on the results and depending on the feedback received from the KARMA pink F7 trial, we will determine what and when the others will be trialed by growers other than myself and Marsha.
None of my projects will be released unstable but this thread is where folks will be able to find out what the next plans are for the KARMA`s
Best wishes with your project as well.
KarenO
Old April 30, 2018   #860
DanishGardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
The KARMA pink is being trialed by quite a few people at F7. It was advanced an extra generation because it has appeared quite consistent all along right since my original F2 selection. I am growing out the F6 of the others this season and they continue to show some variability.
Depending on the results and depending on the feedback received from the KARMA pink F7 trial, we will determine what and when the others will be trialed by growers other than myself and Marsha.
None of my projects will be released unstable but this thread is where folks will be able to find out what the next plans are for the KARMA`s
Best wishes with your project as well.
KarenO
That is the way to do it in my opinion, and the same reason that I have not shared mine yet. Had to go back to the F5 a few times to get back to what I wanted. The crosses I have made have been shared at the F1 state or not at all (yet). The ones I have shared at the F1 stage have been for people to do their own selections (like MarNar) or for the Dwarf Project.
Hate to see named varieties shared at the F4/F5- there is just to much variation and people will basically end up with diffrent varieties.

Living in a cold climate myself, I am always interested when I see breeding projects from places with comparable conditions. In Vancouver, do you grow the plants in greenhouses or outside?
Old April 30, 2018   #861
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanishGardener View Post
That is the way to do it in my opinion, and the same reason that I have not shared mine yet. Had to go back to the F5 a few times to get back to what I wanted. The crosses I have made have been shared at the F1 state or not at all (yet). The ones I have shared at the F1 stage have been for people to do their own selections (like MarNar) or for the Dwarf Project.
Hate to see named varieties shared at the F4/F- there is just to much variation and people will basically end up with diffrent varieties.

Living in a cold climate myself, I am always interested when I see breeding projects from places with comparable conditions. In Vancouver, do you grow the plants in greenhouses or outside?
I agree a lot of disappointing and unstable varieties, many indistinguishable from another but all with different names are out there and more each year. whatever anyone wants to do is up to them. This is my way and since I do not sell seeds I have no profit margins in mind so that removes that common motivation.
My plants are grown in a normal outdoor garden after starting in the house then spending time as seedlings an a small backyard greenhouse. I am a gardener, not a farmer or professional producer. As is Marsha.

KarenO

Last edited by KarenO; April 30, 2018 at 05:25 PM.
Old April 30, 2018   #862
DanishGardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
I agree a lot of disappointing and unstable varieties, many indistinguishable from another but all with different names are out there and more each year. whatever anyone wants to do is up to them. This is my way and since I do not sell seeds I have no profit margins in mind so that removes that common motivation.
My plants are grown in a normal outdoor garden after starting in the house then spending time as seedlings an a small backyard greenhouse. I am a gardener, not a farmer or professional producer. As is Marsha.

KarenO
Well, maybe a greenhouse was not the right term. I grow in a fairly large unheated glasshouse myself, and I am by no means a farmer nor professional producer We have to do that here to be able to grow other varieties than the earliest ones like Stupice ect.

Anyway, will be looking forward to seeing some of the future releases from this project.

Last edited by DanishGardener; April 30, 2018 at 05:48 PM.
DanishGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2018   #863
clara
Tomatovillian™

My Karma Pink F7 seedlings are doing great! They are much larger and stronger than any other variety sown at the same time! My eldest daughter who is living quite far away wants a seedling after having read my notes about it. Hopefully the post service will deliver my parcel very soon! My other daughter who is living only 2 - 3 minutes away, was here for a visit yesterday and had to have a look in my small greenhouse where the seedlings are waiting for their final transplant. "Mum, I want a seedling from these" she said - guess what it was? Of course Karma Pink!
clara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2018   #864
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clara View Post
My Karma Pink F7 seedlings are doing great! They are much larger and stronger than any other variety sown at the same time! My eldest daughter who is living quite far away wants a seedling after having read my notes about it. Hopefully the post service will deliver my parcel very soon! My other daughter who is living only 2 - 3 minutes away, was here for a visit yesterday and had to have a look in my small greenhouse where the seedlings are waiting for their final transplant. "Mum, I want a seedling from these" she said - guess what it was? Of course Karma Pink!
Clara, I love this post so much. Thank you for telling this story.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2018   #865
clara
Tomatovillian™

Marsha, I'm sooo curious about the first ripe tomatoes! Thank you again for providing me with these seeds! And thank you and Karen for doing this great breeding job!
Old April 30, 2018   #866
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Marsha, I'm sooo curious about the first ripe tomatoes! Thank you again for providing me with these seeds! And thank you and Karen for doing this great breeding job!
I just can't wait for you to taste them.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2018   #867
clara
Tomatovillian™

If our weather is very friendly, the first tomatoes should be ripe end of June. I'll tell you!
Old May 2, 2018   #868
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
If our weather is very friendly, the first tomatoes should be ripe end of June. I'll tell you!
Best wishes for your growing season Clara I am very interested to know your opinions
Karen

Last edited by KarenO; May 2, 2018 at 12:20 PM.
Old May 2, 2018   #869
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

KARMA pink in the ground in an unheated low tunnel in Iceland. Photo from Tomas posted to my Northern Gardener page.
growing alongside all of his “ cold tolerant” Russian and Polish varieties.
I am very interested in this rather difficult test. Looking very good and seems to be holding her own so far.
KarenO
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4A8DE3F8-E8A7-4229-84ED-48F21C847616.jpg (199.3 KB, 90 views)

Last edited by KarenO; May 2, 2018 at 12:19 PM.
Old May 2, 2018   #870
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Iceland! Now that should be a good test for cool and short season tolerance. It will be interesting to see the results!

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote