Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old July 27, 2014   #76
crmauch
Tomatovillian™

Default Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Although all the CHPxPineapple and PineappleXCHP are doing well, I thought I'd concentrate on just two.

The GOOD:

PineappleXCHP Plant 3 has finally ripened it's first saladette type tomato. Appears red to me (I haven't tried it yet)
PineXchp_3_Fruit_1.jpg

Here's it on a plate for comparison with Jaune Flammee and a quarter. PineappleXCHP_3 is the fruit to the right with the red coloring.
JaunFlamETPineXchp_20140726.jpg

The BAD and the UGLY:

I'm beginning to think that PineappleXCHP Plant 2 might either be a triploid or tetraploid, the stems are extra thick:

PineXchp_2_Stem_1.jpg
PineXchp_2_Stem_3.jpg

This leads to "UGLY" as not just a first few fruits are deformed but almost all of them are deformed or split. This leads to "BAD" as many of the split fruits are spoiling (BER?).
PineXchp_2_Fruit_1.jpg

So unless this tomato comes up with some great redeeming quality, I'm not going to take this one forward.
crmauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2014   #77
marc_groleau
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl2017 View Post
Untitled by breisch2017, on Flickr

I have five started for a fall garden and they are off to a good start. They are handling July in san antonio pretty good and one has started making blooms. I'm really excited to grow this one.
Behind them is sophies choice and believe it or not the plants are loaded and setting fruit in upper 90's. I didn't think they had it in them.
Thanks for the update Cheryl.
Plants are looking good.
What are the plant-out dates and when
is your fall tomato season typically over?

Keep us posted
marc_groleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2014   #78
Cheryl2017
Tomatovillian™

It is recommended to plant tomatoes for fall between july 15th to august 15th. Our first freeze is typically the third week of November although it can start getting cold toward the end of october which can affect the ripening time. These went in the ground the first of july.
Some of my dwarfs and potato leaf tomato plants really suffered with the mites this year but regular leaf plants haven't seemed to be affected. Curious. I planted a couple other types of tomato plants with cherokee purple in the genetics and they also did not get the mites.
Just an aside, the heat index was 110 today. This one might be a must for us deep south growers.
Cheryl2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2014   #79
marc_groleau
Tomatovillian™

Hey CRMAUCH,
Is that largest one on the plate also on of the crosses?

Too bad about PineXCHP2.
How are the others looking?
The fruit is pretty large and abundant.
Here are some photos of two of my four plants. The other two look very much like these 2.
The fruit is large and oblate with some fluting.
Looks like I'm on track for some nice fruit.
The foliage is hiding a great deal of fruit. Almost impossible to get good pictures of the rest.

Last edited by marc_groleau; July 27, 2014 at 06:28 PM.
Old July 27, 2014   #80
marc_groleau
Tomatovillian™

Looks like the lower fruit on another plant are starting to blush.

Is it me or is there a pinkish hue?

Old July 29, 2014   #81
crmauch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc_groleau View Post
Hey CRMAUCH,
Is that largest one on the plate also on of the crosses?
No that was my first ripe Jaune Flammee.

Quote:
Too bad about PineXCHP2.
How are the others looking?
Well, part of selecting is taking out the undesireable and PineXCHP2 is making it easy. The others are all looking pretty good. I'd thought I'd wait until they started ripening to get some pictures, but CHPXPine 1 & 2 definitely have that 'light green' color they get pre-ripening

Quote:
The fruit is pretty large and abundant.
Here are some photos of two of my four plants. The other two look very much like these 2.
The fruit is large and oblate with some fluting.
Looks like I'm on track for some nice fruit.
The foliage is hiding a great deal of fruit. Almost impossible to get good pictures of the rest.
The fruit looks good -- but go back and look at some of your foliage - do you have the beginnings of some disease?
Old July 29, 2014   #82
marc_groleau
Tomatovillian™

I always get that this time of year. All varieties get it. Some resist it better than others. By the time it overtakes the plant the harvest is over anyway. These crosses for now are resisting better than most.
Old July 29, 2014   #83
crmauch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I always get that this time of year. All varieties get it. Some resist it better than others. By the time it overtakes the plant the harvest is over anyway. These crosses for now are resisting better than most.
Sorry, I'm being paranoid. Last year I got late blight about this time and my tomatoes were wiped out by August. It started like the lesions you have (probably the lesion areas were bigger). and progressed like wildfire up the plants. So I'm trying to be very observant about my leaf health this year.

Prior to last year, I didn't really have much problem -- the lower leaves would get yellow and drop off and I considered it 'normal'
Old July 29, 2014   #84
crmauch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Looks like the lower fruit on another plant are starting to blush.

Is it me or is there a pinkish hue?
I believe I see a pinkish blush also.
Old July 29, 2014   #85
marc_groleau
Tomatovillian™

A lot of tomatoes in my garden turned color today. Kind of weird all in the same day. One of the ones in the photo that I thought was blushing, definitely is. It is a light pink color right now.
Plants that had only green tomatoes yesterday now have from one to several ripening fruit.
Old August 2, 2014   #86
crmauch
Tomatovillian™

Default PineappleXCHP_3

Here's a picture of the Jaune Flammee (left) and Pineapple X CHP 3 (right) cut open. As you can see the PineXCHP_3 though larger than a cherry has what I would term a 'regular' 2 locule cherry structure inside.
JauneFlamETPineXchpInter_2.jpg

Flavor wasn't all that great. Quite tomatoey in flavor, and not sweet. Say a 7 out of 10.

I've saved seeds from the first fruits.
Old August 2, 2014   #87
marc_groleau
Tomatovillian™

I'm beginning to wonder if this was a stray seed mixed in with the crosses.
It is so unlike either parent. I do have some large (for a cherry) variety in my garden that has a large tomato like taste.
Old August 2, 2014   #88
marc_groleau
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
It is so unlike either parent. I do have some large (for a cherry) variety in my garden that has a large tomato like taste.
I take that back. I went back and looked at the photos of the plant that the those small tomatoes came from and its growth habit is nothing like the cherry plants I grow. They very vine-like

Old August 2, 2014   #89
crmauch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I wonder about the stray pollen thing also, but I will say the vine itself's growth and look is very much looking like the other 5 plants. I find if interesting and hope to grow out more of this line next year to see if I get any differentiation.

If it doesn't improve in flavor or some other interesting characteristic though, I don't think I will continue this line for long.
Old August 2, 2014   #90
marc_groleau
Tomatovillian™

Well, here's the first one that is nearly ripe. Once again, it is the Pineapple X Cherokee Purple that is earliest. Looks like several more of similar shape size and condition on the same plant won't be far behind. I don't have anyregular Pineapple plants this year but my regular Cherokee Purple Plants are just about at the same ripening stage as this one.
The photo with the upside down view is most representative of color. It's not quite ripe yet and is a light pink. Not many blemishes and nice shape and quite firm.

Last edited by marc_groleau; August 3, 2014 at 07:31 AM.