Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old November 18, 2015   #76
EBHarvey
Tomatovillian™

Aji Amarillo might be the most prolific pepper I've grown, out of 100+ varieties to date.

Buuuuuttttt.....of the 40 or so pounds of fruit my 4 six-foot-tall plants set this year, I ended up with 3 ripe peppers before our 4th hard freeze killed off and ruined what was left of what I'd been protecting under plastic for almost a month. Just way, way, way too late for zone 6, IMO. And these plants were started in February under lights. I had multiple varieties of superhots cranking out pod after pod while the amarillos just sat there fully-sized but green for months. Never again.
EBHarvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2015   #77
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

I'm surprised by your results. I live in zone 5a, I started mine in late January and planted them into a bucket in mid May. I had my first ripe ones in July. You can see http://www.tomatoville.com/showpost....5&postcount=55 on August 12 I had a bunch of ripe peppers. Perhaps this is a case of USDA zone not mattering, maybe southern WI summers are much warmer than yours? Our summer even lacked hot weather in 2015.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2015   #78
EBHarvey
Tomatovillian™

That's crazy....I had tons of pods set by July but they didn't even begin to show a blush of color until well into September. The plants just kept getting bigger and setting more and more fruit but with seemingly no desire to actually ripen any of them. Perhaps it had to do with my nutrient balance - too much nitrogen pushing vegetative growth...?
EBHarvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2015   #79
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I think (?) I'm now in 5b or maybe 6, and I started mine in mid-February, planted out to a grow bag in early June, and picked a huge bowl of beautiful orange Aji Amarillo peppers well before we saw frost. I've always grown my hot peppers in either three or five gallon grow bags and they always do very well. I've read that in the bags the roots stay warmer which they reportedly like.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2015   #80
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Okay, I looked it up -- zone 6b
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2015   #81
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Looking at AHS heat zone maps, it looks like in southern WI I'm a bit warmer in the summer than CT or MA/NH border, but not drastically so. The point made about being grown in bags might be the key, as mine were grown in a 5 gallon bucket on our deck. EBHarvey, were yours grown in the ground? If there are any other northern gardeners that grew this pepper--how did it do and was it in ground or in containers/bags?

After a number of years of noticing my bucket grown peppers are more productive and ripen soon than in ground, I'm moving all my peppers to buckets and some of the tomatoes I had in containers are going into the garden space.
Old November 20, 2015   #82
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I have a bone to pick with Aji Amarillo.

Aji in its country of prigen means what we call a pepper or chili, Amarillo meaning yellow.
So it would translate to yellow pepper.
As in Aji Limon for lemon drop pepper/ pepper lemon or chili lemon.
Now the Aji Amarillo I see and can buy at the store are huge orange peppers in a jar or can shaped like a banana pepper but with a really thick meat on them.
They come from Peru.

What I see here and elsewhere are smaller wrinkled yellow peppers.
What gives?
These are totally different peppers.

Will the real Aji Amarillo pleas stand up.
I will take the side of the ones I see from Peru as it.

Last edited by Worth1; November 20, 2015 at 07:40 PM.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2015   #83
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Worth,

I get what you're saying about the translation. But, these do ripen to orange, see below. Fred said this variety was much smaller than some of the other Aji Amarillos grown in Peru. I'm sure he can fill-in on the background of its origin.

Justin
Old November 21, 2015   #84
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Worth,

Both Aji Amarillo described earlier in this thread are from Peru. Both start out yellow and mature to Orange.

The larger one is the one that is better known from stores.

The smaller one has a similar flavor, and I think it is a fabulous frying pepper (when light green, and immature). But, we also roast this pepper whole, and use it for flakes.

The one I sent out originally (free) to people was the small pepper. We have the larger pepper now, as well.
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2015   #85
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Some peppers, and our mini Aji Amarillo is one of them, really need significant warm weather to ripen.

Many peppers ripen poorly on the cool California coast as well, where there is no frost, but also there just aren't enough warm days to ripen peppers properly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBHarvey View Post
Aji Amarillo might be the most prolific pepper I've grown, out of 100+ varieties to date.

Buuuuuttttt.....of the 40 or so pounds of fruit my 4 six-foot-tall plants set this year, I ended up with 3 ripe peppers before our 4th hard freeze killed off and ruined what was left of what I'd been protecting under plastic for almost a month. Just way, way, way too late for zone 6, IMO. And these plants were started in February under lights. I had multiple varieties of superhots cranking out pod after pod while the amarillos just sat there fully-sized but green for months. Never again.
Old November 21, 2015   #86
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Super hots seem to need fewer warm/hot days to ripen, in my experience.
Old November 21, 2015   #87
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hempel View Post
Worth,

Both Aji Amarillo described earlier in this thread are from Peru. Both start out yellow and mature to Orange.

The larger one is the one that is better known from stores.

The smaller one has a similar flavor, and I think it is a fabulous frying pepper (when light green, and immature). But, we also roast this pepper whole, and use it for flakes.

The one I sent out originally (free) to people was the small pepper. We have the larger pepper now, as well.
Fred I am talking about this one from an earlier post.
It was called Aji Yellow, to me yellow is amarillo.
What is this wrinkled thing.
Old November 21, 2015   #88
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

No idea what Aji yellow #2 is. Someone else posted it.

It is not the Aji Amarillo I sent out.

Amarillo directly translated is yellow. But that does not mean that Aji Amarillo peppers have to be yellow at maturity.

Is Cherokee Purple really black? No. But it is called a black tomato.

Strict adherence to color definitions is not a pre-requisite for naming vegetables in English or Spanish.

Last edited by Fred Hempel; November 21, 2015 at 02:51 PM.
Old November 21, 2015   #89
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Aji yellow #2

Different from both Aji Amarillo varieties I have.

Most likely related, and most likely also from Peru.
Old November 21, 2015   #90
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Fred I not concerned about the color of the pepper being orange or yellow.

My concern was the wrinkled pepper being called the same thing.
Worth