Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old March 8, 2009   #76
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Ami,

Yes, I am going to need a Degree from TIT University to fully comprehend what you are saying in the above post.

This is what I am hoping the Ozone Generator will take care of during the season:

While algae itself may not be harmful, I am always leery of what you DON"T see that may be nasty.

Ray
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2009   #77
geeboss
Tomatovillian™

Ray
Is that algae from last years tainer's aeration bench? Or did the warm water cause this year's tainer's to build algae already?

George

FYI had great germation rate on WES, NAR x BW, fair on PH F3. Luckily these weren't pinched the other day.
geeboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2009   #78
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Hey George,

The photo was taken today of one of my Fall crop EarthTainers that I disassembled to upgrade to the EarthTainer II WaterMizer design (yes, we are going to be under water rationing this Summer). I had the same condition (only more intense) in my Summer 'Tainers. Hence, the idea that Ozone treatment will control the algae and other stuff going on in the 'Tainer.

Glad to hear that you have many great varieties that didn't get stolen from you. Must be some really sick person out there to grab your plants like that.

Ray
Old March 9, 2009   #79
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Ray, from what I read the ozone will make the mycorrhiza ineffective and maybe the other good guy's as well, ie Actinovate. Before you go full bore on this idea it might be prudent to do an A-B side by side test with both tainers set up with Actinovate or Actinovate and Myco's and see what happens. Most studies have mentioned that whats goe's on in the subsoil when ozone is introduced is still a gray area as far as the microfloura is concerned and not much is known hence the reports. Ami
Old March 9, 2009   #80
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Hi Ami,

I am going to contact Boomer at Actinovate to get their take on the impact of elevated levels of Ozone and its impact on their product. I guess when I look at fish swimming blissfully in their tank, that is the eco-system that I want to replicate in the EarthTainer's water reservoir (minus the Lion-Fish).

Ray
Old March 9, 2009   #81
Tex
Tomatovillian™

I raise a few chickens and have always had a problem with algae build-up in the 5 gallon waterer that I use. I placed a couple of old silver half dollars in the container and haven't had a problem since.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2009   #82
dice
Tomatovillian™

I might have to retract my assertion that this will not affect
the root system of the plants in the Earthtainers. The tests
in the documents that Ami cited above used elevated levels
of ozone in the atmosphere around the plants over a whole
season rather than ozone occasionally in a bottom-watering
reservoir, but the affects on the soil environment seemed
drastic considering how little ozone was introduced (like 50
parts per billion of air in one test). If there is any way for the
ozone to move by capillary action up past the weed block
above the wicking chamber, it is going to do damage to the
soil microfauna, lock up nitrogen, etc. Even having it escape
out the overflow holes as a gas in close proximity to the plants
is likely to be a negative for root chemistry in the soil (reduces
exudates from the plant's roots that mycorrhizae and beneficial
bacteria depend on).

So use in moderation, and I would do an A/B test for sure.
The silver technique is worth a test, too, if it potentially
makes the ozone generator unnecessary.

Last edited by dice; March 9, 2009 at 06:48 AM. Reason: clarity
dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2009   #83
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default reply

You can actually buy silver in liquid forms at health food and vitamin shops. It is safe for consumption in small quantities. Remember the term blue blood?
Kat
newatthiskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2009   #84
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

I have been brewing, doing the Colloidal Silver thing for the last 10 years. I doubt 2 silver 50 cent pieces (which are not pure silver) would add enough silver to the water to do anything. Too many unknowns here. Yes you could add a 10-20ppm colloidal silver solution, maybe a couple liters to each Tainer every two weeks to keep the green stuff away but don't know the effect it would have on the mycorrhiza and beneficial bacteria. I do spray my Jiffy 7's intermittently with colloidal silver when sprouting my seeds to avoid damping off and it works well. Ami
Old March 10, 2009   #85
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default reply

Ami there have been times in the past I have used Colloidal Silver I actually also put it in my bath water for a while to help with the chlorine. Read something about soaking the chlorine in through my pores while bathing and got all concerned Cool to see someone else has actually heard of it and uses it.
Kat
newatthiskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2012   #86
eddie46
Tomatovillian™

Hi Ray,

What mix did you decide on? Do your tomatoes taste more earthy than blan?

Ed
eddie46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2012   #87
Riceloft
Tomatovillian™

I like how all of Ray's old threads get bumped. These are great conversations to read for those of us planning on using EarthTainers this season.

Ray, is there a place where you'd documented everything you add as a standard practice, including how much, how often, and....how (ie soil drench, through the fill tube, etc)?
Riceloft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2012   #88
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

I am working on a new Revision of the EarthTainer Guide which will add information on pre-season Mix preparation, additive recommendations, etc. At the moment, use the latest Rev 3.5 Guide.

http://earthtainer.tomatofest.com/pd...tion-Guide.pdf

New trials this year on Bat Guano, Xtreme Gardening Axos Nitrogen Fixing Microbe, their CalCarb Foliar Spray, and Grower's Secret Pro. Should be an interesting new Season.

Raybo
Old March 7, 2012   #89
Riceloft
Tomatovillian™

Thanks!

Have you improved the flavor of your 'Tainer grown tomatoes as this thread as initially about?
Riceloft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2012   #90
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Riceloft,

There has been an improvement in taste, yield, etc. since I migrated in Season 1 from an all Potting Mix grow media, to now today with the 3:2:1 Combo Mix. The key indicator for me is that now when we have a string of a few hot days, the tips of the tomato plants start to wilt.

I am actually happy to see that, as it indicates the moisture delivery to the root system is just barely enough. Kind of what the grape growers in Napa do to stress the vines - getting the most potent flavor in the grapes.

In my earlier Seasons, the plants were never stressed, which indicated they had access to too much moisture. Hence, they had a "hydroponic" type taste to them. Now with the 3:2:1 combo Mix I believe I have simulated nearly an in-ground flavor profile. To be sure, nothing will ever replicate the taste from actual in-ground tomatoes - but for those relegated to growing on concrete decks, etc. I believe the taste is 90% of the way there.

I am hoping that some of the supplements I am trialing this Season (mentioned above) will foster even more robust growth and longevity. BTW, it is March 7 today and I am still picking ripe tomatoes from one remaining outdoor plant put in last August.

Raybo