Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old March 9, 2012   #76
janezee
Tomatovillian™

Thank you so much for that information, FD. I was operating on an all features being equal principle, and I'm delighted to know that there are different thicknesses involved. Good to know!

j
janezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2012   #77
ExpendableZero
Tomatovillian™

I ended up getting these that were advertised at 6mil:

http://www.htgsupply.com/Product-5-Gallon-Grow-Bags.asp

If you buy from them on ebay the shipping is only $6.
ExpendableZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2012   #78
rigdond
Tomatovillian™

Default Grow bags on ebay

Thanks for the tip Expendeble Zero!
rigdond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2012   #79
janezee
Tomatovillian™

OK, this is driving my crazy. I need black bags, because it's cold here, all summer. I just looked up our average daily high and low in August, our warmest month, and it's amazing: 73, and 53. dammit, that's not tomato weather!
So, after reading that "and black interior does not allow algea (sic) growth!", what I need to know is this:

1. Are these bags reversible?

2. Will algae then grow on the inside?

3. What will that do to my tomatoes, peppers, and eggplants?

Comments, please!

Thanks, j
Old March 10, 2012   #80
JoParrott

I saw potato grow bags at Lowe's for $9.95-size about 18x20" with a velcro panel at the bottom to remove the spuds. I think I will design one- I can get a small roll of weed block for around $4. I have enough velcro to hold the world together, and that would be the big cost. Maybe some of you would buy bags?
Old March 11, 2012   #81
ExpendableZero
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by janezee View Post
Thanks, j
I will let you know when they get here.
Old March 11, 2012   #82
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynPhillips View Post
growing directly in the beds.

How far apart do you have those support poles for your strings? Do you have a picture of your string trellis system?
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2012   #83
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by amideutch View Post
Chief, I use an apple corer and make a hole in each end 1 1/2" above the inside bottom so as to form a reservoir. Then fill with growing media and plant my seedlings after putting them in a dip solution of Actinovate and Mycorrhoiza. If you take care of them they should last you three seasons. They keep the root zone at a more stable temperature even in direct sunlite and give a better environment for the soil fungi/bacteria (Mycorrhizae) due to the insulation provided by the styrofoam.
In fact the plant in the 10 Gal Smart Pot is Cowlick's Pink Brandywine taken in 2009.
Do you have a picture of an empty container with the reservoir hole, before you fill it?
What do you use for your growing medium?
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2012   #84
simmran1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by janezee View Post
OK, this is driving my crazy. I need black bags, because it's cold here, all summer. I just looked up our average daily high and low in August, our warmest month, and it's amazing: 73, and 53. dammit, that's not tomato weather!
So, after reading that "and black interior does not allow algea (sic) growth!", what I need to know is this:

2. Will algae then grow on the inside?

3. What will that do to my tomatoes, peppers, and eggplants?

Comments, please!

Thanks, j
http://www.hydroponics.net/c/549

J, The woven bags do not support algae growth on the int. or ext. I've only got black bags and w/full south exposure never saw any type of over heating. None of the bags are reversible, as they are sewn to be as they look in the product pictures. IF you can get over abundant rainfall in a short time frame the woven bags are best. -Randy
Old March 21, 2012   #85
ExpendableZero
Tomatovillian™

I tried reversing one of my bags and it didn't work very well. I would avoid the ones I linked if you need black.
Old March 28, 2012   #86
CarolynPhillips
Tomatovillian™

sorry, been working.
I gave the trusses extra support by placing a landscape timber at each truss and the trusses are 5 ft apart. The greenhouse is 24 feet wide. The landscape timbers are 5 ft from the main wall support on both sides. The center of the greenhouse use to have landscape timber support beams but I took them down cause they were in my way.

Carolyn
CarolynPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2012   #87
janezee
Tomatovillian™

Sorry I missed this post sooner.
Thanks, EZ, for that info. I was afraid of that. I wasn't sure that it would be a good idea in the first place, but they look nice and sturdy. I'm looking at solid black ones now. Think I went a little bit overboard on the peppers and tomatoes. Just a little.

j

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpendableZero View Post
I tried reversing one of my bags and it didn't work very well. I would avoid the ones I linked if you need black.
Old March 28, 2012   #88
janezee
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn,
Insanely impressive, as usual! Thanks for all your helpful information.
Old March 30, 2012   #89
kenny_j
Tomatovillian™

Thanx loads to all for the info on this thread. Never thought I would ever grow in containers, now I am totally rethinking that. My big problem is my land is low and clay, amended a decent soil, the problem is 6" down it is white clay, and extremely slow to drain. Many years too wet til into june. Growing in bags may be the key for growing earlier tomatoes for me.
kenny_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2012   #90
CsMcVey
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing about 20 tomato plants this year, mostly cherry tomatoes. I have 5 and 10 gallon grow bags left over from last year. Am I ok w/ using the 5 gallon bags for all of my tomatoes? I have a PVC irrigation system on a timer so I can water twice a day easily.

Some of the varieties I am growing: Sungold, Sweet Million, Green Grape, Yellow Pear, Arkansas Traveler, Lemon Boy, Black Cherry, White Cherry.
CsMcVey is offline   Reply With Quote