Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 6, 2015   #76
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Oh yes, the cukes... My seed packet says to start in the end of April, so it's a few more weeks ... I'm glad everything doesn't have to be sown at the same time.

Then there will be potatoes and carrots.. not to mention herbs and radishes. oh well... is it nice to have the spring around once again!
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2015   #77
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

putting everyone to bed for the evening:
http://i.imgur.com/pUTFqsp.jpg
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2015   #78
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
putting everyone to bed for the evening:
http://i.imgur.com/pUTFqsp.jpg
Wow, so many.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2015   #79
bughunter99
Tomatovillian™

Tomatoes and everything else (except for eggplants and peppers) have been spending all week outdoors. Now fully hardened off to wind and sun. Starting to take off from the spring rains. Will come inside for one night this week when major storms are anticipated followed by a temp drop. After that, 30% are going into their final self watering containers against a south wall and covered with row cover. Ground temps still too cold for tomatoes but radishes, lettuce, bassicas, asian greens, chard and beets are in--all currently under row cover, primarily for bird protection. I am still 6 weeks from our published last frost date.
bughunter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2015   #80
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Just as we were seeing mostly bare ground, everything is coated with a light layer of snow this morning, and it's still coming down. I know it won't last as we are expected to see warmer temps this weekend, but it's still depressing 😥
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2015   #81
bughunter99
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
Just as we were seeing mostly bare ground, everything is coated with a light layer of snow this morning, and it's still coming down. I know it won't last as we are expected to see warmer temps this weekend, but it's still depressing 😥
We got a coating of hail that looked just like snow last night! So glad I brought the babies in last night. Ignore that snow you have. It will be 74 here today and we are sending it directly your way!

Stacy
Old April 9, 2015   #82
bower
Tomatovillian™

hmmm... I hope you're sending it our way too!
Record cold temps here at present, and snowbanks persist in a hard-as-rocks condition, including 3-5 ft drifts. Big rainstorm forecast for the weekend, fingers crossed it will wash at least half of it away!

Spent the last two days potting up tomatoes and started on the peppers this evening. It was sunny and soooo hot in the greenhouse! but freezing at night.. broccoli and celery and leeks and onions are growing fast.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2015   #83
joseph
Tomatovillian™

I planted about 1500 tomato seeds today. Intending them for the farmer's market in 6 weeks. I'm holding off another couple weeks before starting tomatoes for me. I don't like to push the season for my field tomatoes, but I don't mind if other people want to use covers. And due to the changes in altitude, some nearby people have a 3 week earlier last frost date than I do. And this season is about 3 to 4 weeks earlier than average.
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2015   #84
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Sorry for the friends in New England that have been having a long harsh winter. I used to live in CT (Southern Fairfield County). There and then our plant out date was Mothers Day.

Anyway, as a new transplant in the PNW, I am pushing my season by about 45 days, by using few tricks like WOW, Hoop, Cold Frame. So far I have planted just 10 (out 0f ~ 40).
Although our fall First Frost Date is around mid November but our Octobers are too wet and cool. So the season extension from the front end is a better alternative.

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2015   #85
Darren Abbey
Tomatovillian™

This is the first year in many that I've tried to get a jump on the season. I had a batch of 20 tomato babies sitting out last night and while I was away kidsitting, they got snowed on. When I got home, I took them inside, warmed them up, and found they all got away with no damage.

I am not deterred.
Old April 11, 2015   #86
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Abbey View Post
This is the first year in many that I've tried to get a jump on the season. I had a batch of 20 tomato babies sitting out last night and while I was away kidsitting, they got snowed on. When I got home, I took them inside, warmed them up, and found they all got away with no damage.

I am not deterred.
Now that's the spirit... keep it up!

Mine are all inside and at the early stages - the ones intended for parents & friends are well under way and show their first true leaves. My own collection is having delays - some helmet heads, and some are just not germinating. (it's been a week)
I would hate to add extra seeds only to have them all showing up in the end...
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2015   #87
beefsteak
Tomatovillian™

My tomatoes are still under lights in the basement and they will be until mid May when I push it by a couple of weeks. Actually they will be hardened off before that. I do good planting them two weeks before the recommended start time here, (Memorial day). Just have to watch for frost and get out there and water the plant. (not the ground), before the sun comes up. I plant early tomato plants because I don't like waiting till August for tomatoes but I also put in some late producers early and I don't put in all my tomato plants then just a few.
One year oh maybe 13 years ago, I didn't plant early because we were going to Texas to see my son graduate from basic training in the Air Force and we stayed a few days. When we got home on May 22nd there was about 3 inches of snow on the ground and the corn I planted was of course no good but about 50 to 60 percent of it did come back up later, tomatoes would not have survived that.
You take a chance when you put out early, but it's worth it.
I wanted to add, the tomatoes all go in raised beds which with warmer soil temps makes putting them out early easier on the plants.

Last edited by beefsteak; April 11, 2015 at 09:15 AM.
beefsteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2015   #88
bughunter99
Tomatovillian™

Default 4 trial babies in

Planted 4 outside today into self watering containers against the southside brick wall and in wall o waters. Ten day forecast looks good. They are in a full month before our last frost date. Ground temps still too cold for ground plantings of any of the heat lovers and still a lot of spring clean up to do.
Old April 11, 2015   #89
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

It's been so wet here, even my high tunnel is a muddy mess inside. The water seeps up from the ground.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2015   #90
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

Bughunter, followed your lead and planted my first 3 tomatoes into basement windowsill on south side of the house. Winners were Krainiy Sever, 0-33 and Kimberley.
0-33 was bred by Saraev, who specialized on frost tolerant varieties. Krainiy Sever is also known under translated name Extreme North. Am sure many have grown Kimberley.
So am looking forward to VERY early tomatoes LOL
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote