Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 2, 2016   #76
Sundrops
Tomatovillian™

Default Dona

I used to get these here in the states but was unable to find them for about 4 or 5 years. I was told they were not available here any longer. I was tricked into buying some from a company I won't mention, being told that they were OP. What a mistake! They are a hybrid with wonderful flavor. I found that they were available in France but I have never attempted to get them from there. Too busy and just don't know how to go about it.
Sundrops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2016   #77
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundrops View Post
I used to get these here in the states but was unable to find them for about 4 or 5 years. I was told they were not available here any longer. I was tricked into buying some from a company I won't mention, being told that they were OP. What a mistake! They are a hybrid with wonderful flavor. I found that they were available in France but I have never attempted to get them from there. Too busy and just don't know how to go about it.
http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/D...b=General_Info

The F1 was originally introduced by Renee Shepherd inThe US along with another French hybrid whose name Ican't remember right now, possibly Carmello,and those who have grown and tasted the OP version say it's just as good.

When Renee could no longer import fromFrance, some folks were able to buy the F1 seeds in France and bring them back and then doled out seeds to those who wanted them.

Having grown the F1 myself,there are many other medium sized red varieties that I think are just as good, even better,perhaps, and I mean both OP and F1 varieties.

Not just my own opinion.

Carolyn
Old April 2, 2016   #78
charline
Tomatovillian™

I looked it up, Vilmorin has it and they should have it here in the supermarket.
If you want me to get it for you send me a pm

Quote:
charline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2016   #79
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
There's only one variety that Iv'e wanted,first saw a picture of it about 3 years ago... called Sheryl's Portuguese Red Heart.
Well, now that I see that name, I must get some as my SIL that I love dearly is named Sheryl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
I guess my #1 would have to be Black Cherry because I've tried to grow it from three sources - including Tomato growers who introduced them. And it hasn't grown for me.
Have you gotten it from me? I did a search of Robert TX Black Cherry in my email and nothing came up. PM me your address, and I will send you some so you can end this curse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooty View Post
Ah that would explain it. Dwarf crimson sockeye is in the 50 least popular too but that's probably because come out this year for the dwarf tomato project.
I'm going to say this is a good one as Ted told me I have to grow it. so I am growing it this year.
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2016   #80
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by charline View Post
I looked it up, Vilmorin has it and they should have it here in the supermarket.
If you want me to get it for you send me a pm
Thanks so much Charline,I had suggested finding someone from France who might be able to help,as has been done before,and right on schedule you volunteered.

Carolyn
Old April 2, 2016   #81
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by remy View Post
Well, now that I see that name, I must get some as my SIL that I love dearly is named Sheryl.

Have you gotten it from me? I did a search of Robert TX Black Cherry in my email and nothing came up. PM me your address, and I will send you some so you can end this curse.

I'm going to say this is a good one as Ted told me I have to grow it. so I am growing it this year.
Remy
Remy,PM me your address and I'll get some seeds out to you while I still have my seeds here at home,which will eventually go to Shawn for that seed offer which will go up eventually,so my brain and fingers have told me.

The above is just for Remy,the same variety will also be in my seed offer. And Remy b/c she's a long time friend and also loves roses as I do and Remy,here's a situation you may not love,but is true.I have a good friend in the midwest I've known for many years,I send him tomato seeds and he sends me back rose plants he's propagated, and legally,BUT,he sent me a picture of a new rose he bought,it's patented, and he now,ahem,is propagating that one illegally.

The best one he ever sent me is Lillian Gibson,a once bloomer,not that fragrant,but oh what a showy plant.

Carolyn
Old April 2, 2016   #82
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Here's a commercial source in the US selling the F1 at half price. I haven't used them, and can't vouch for them.

http://www.downrightnatural.com/inde...oducts_id=1386

Steve
sjamesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2016   #83
remy

Quote:
Remy,PM me your address and I'll get some seeds out to you while I still have my seeds here at home,which will eventually go to Shawn for that seed offer which will go up eventually,so my brain and fingers have told me.

The above is just for Remy,the same variety will also be in my seed offer. And Remy b/c she's a long time friend and also loves roses as I do and Remy,here's a situation you may not love,but is true.I have a good friend in the midwest I've known for many years,I send him tomato seeds and he sends me back rose plants he's propagated, and legally,BUT,he sent me a picture of a new rose he bought,it's patented, and he now,ahem,is propagating that one illegally.

The best one he ever sent me is Lillian Gibson,a once bloomer,not that fragrant,but oh what a showy plant.

Carolyn
Thank you!

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Old April 2, 2016   #84
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

an heirloom italian tomato with no name that looked like a san marzano but was huge,24oz to 32oz commonly.
A relative got seeds from a co-worker but the supply ended back in the 90's.
I saw another example later on at a friends house he got from his italian neighbor,I should have grabbed it back then.Looked like a cross between san marzano and an oxheart.
The only flaw was it turned to mush fast,sliced at lunch time it would be mush by supper time.
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2016   #85
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjamesNorway View Post
Here's a commercial source in the US selling the F1 at half price. I haven't used them, and can't vouch for them.

Steve
Steve, I took a look at that site and did go to the tomato part,only 15varieties,and the original price for 20 seeds was either $6.29 or $5 plus, and the deal was half off so a bit more than $3 for 20 organic seeds.

Not a bargain as I see it as in buyer beware.

Carolyn
Old April 3, 2016   #86
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Steve, I took a look at that site and did go to the tomato part,only 15varieties,and the original price for 20 seeds was either $6.29 or $5 plus, and the deal was half off so a bit more than $3 for 20 organic seeds.

Not a bargain as I see it as in buyer beware.

Carolyn
Carolyn, I'm not sure which page you looked at, but they list 15 categories of tomato seeds, and 806 varieties. Like I said, I haven't ordered from them, and hadn't come across them before. They're also not on another prominent forum's extensive list of sources, so I agree, buyer beware.

Steve
Old April 3, 2016   #87
TC_Manhattan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Tatiana is selling the seeds for the open-pollinated Dona this year for the first time:
http://http://t.tatianastomatobase.c...b=General_Info

You can click the "buy seeds from Tatiana" blue tab at the top of the description page.

Easy peasy..
TC_Manhattan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2016   #88
remy

Quote:

Steve
I went to that site to and took a quick look around. I have no idea what they are selling and I do not like the liberal use of organic without certification as a selling point, but they are using pics that are not their own and not even the correct variety.
The one for Hugh's Bicolor Beefsteak http://www.downrightnatural.com/inde...oducts_id=1683, I thought it looked familiar so I did a Google Image Search and sure enough I found it on an old GardenWeb thread. It is Golden Cherokee.
http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussi...owish-tomatoes
I'm betting more image searches would produce similar results.
Remy

Last edited by remy; April 3, 2016 at 10:14 AM. Reason: added link
Old April 3, 2016   #89
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by remy View Post
I went to that site to and too a quick look around. I have no idea what they are selling and I do not like the liberal use of organic without certification as a selling point, but they are using pics that are not their own and not even the correct variety.
The one for Hugh's Bicolor Beefsteak http://www.downrightnatural.com/inde...oducts_id=1683, I thought it looked familiar so I did a Google Image Search and sure enough I found it on an old GardenWeb thread. It is Golden Cherokee.
http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussi...owish-tomatoes
I'm betting more image searches would produce similar results.
Remy
It may well be a bogus site, Remy, like I said I can't vouch for them. If I were Sundrops, I would accept Charline's offer to help, or purchase the OP version from Tatiana, about which Carolyn writes "...those who have grown and tasted the OP version say it's just as good."

Steve
Old April 4, 2016   #90
cloz
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
It may well be a bogus site, Remy, like I said I can't vouch for them. If I were Sundrops, I would accept Charline's offer to help, or purchase the OP version from Tatiana, about which Carolyn writes "...those who have grown and tasted the OP version say it's just as good."

Steve
For what it's worth, here is a screenshot from Google maps of their mailing address.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2016-04-04 at 9.40.00 AM.jpg (122.7 KB, 98 views)
cloz is offline   Reply With Quote