Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old March 21, 2016   #76
jpop
Tomatovillian™

Sorry meant to add that. But posted during dinner so short and sweet with not much information. The brown are tas choc, then left to right are new big dwarf, big beef, and heatwave with Virginia sweet at the top. I know this goes against many posts here but big beef for me is good but can not compete against new big dwarf and tas.choc. Big beef and heatwave believe it or not are comparable at 7 to 7.5. Big beef more full tomato flavor but less punch and on the mild side, with heatwave less full flavor but more tang. However, tas choc has full flavor with an assertive tang and sweet finish and new big dwarf is the heavy weight with full punch in the mouth flavor with a zesty finish wanting you coming back for more after each.bite. To me I can not remember eating a better tomato for my aquired taste than new big dwarf. Fitting that it is a parent of tas choc along with Paul Robeson. Need to try that next. Up next will be Virginia sweet followed by golden queen which are starting to turn from green to gold.

Last edited by jpop; March 21, 2016 at 11:28 PM.
jpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2016   #77
jpop
Tomatovillian™

My pre Easter harvest with the help of my loyal helper Cargo. Virginia Sweet, New Big Dwarf, Tasmanian Chocolate, Rosella Purple, Big Beef, and Sioux.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016-03-25 12.45.10-1.jpg (373.3 KB, 88 views)
Old March 25, 2016   #78
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Great pic.

I'll be interested in hearing your opinion of Rosella Purple vs Tasmanian Chocolate, whether or not you have a favorite between the two.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2016   #79
jpop
Tomatovillian™

Tasmanian chocolate (8.5+) hands down for my taste. Rosella purple (7.5-8) is a very good tomato in its own right. However, side by side is where the TC shines. The RP is a full tomato flavor on the mild side, where the TC has more tangy punch upfront and not sure how this works, but finishes slightly sweet. Great tomato only to be trumped by New Big Dwarf (9), which as mentioned above, full punch in the mouth flavor with a zesty finish wanting you coming back for more after each bite. Again, that is this year in my crazy growing season using mycogrow and Neptunes Harvest fish emulsion fertilizers w/ tomato tone at plant out.

I see now why Gerardo keeps TC in the rotation each season.
Old March 25, 2016   #80
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I thought the same about TC vs RP. TC is 1/2 New Big Dwarf and the other half is Paul Robeson, another of my favorite-tasting varieties.
Old March 25, 2016   #81
jpop
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
I thought the same about TC vs RP. TC is 1/2 New Big Dwarf and the other half is Paul Robeson, another of my favorite-tasting varieties.
Sounds like I should give Paul Robeson a try as many seem to love it. Thank you for the input. How did TC perform for you taste wise and what is/are your personal favorite(s)?
Old March 25, 2016   #82
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

There are a lot of dwarf varieties that I have not had yet, so this will be a changing list. But my favorites right now besides TC are Cyril's Choice, Mano, Sweet Sue, Bosky Chabarovsky, Qiyanai Huang, and Jade Beauty.

For indeterminates, besides PR, I like Cosmonaut Volkov, Orange Russian 117, Northern Lights, Esmerelda Golosina, Pink Rose, and Jazz. Those were my big winners from the hundred or so varieties I tried last year.
Old March 25, 2016   #83
jpop
Tomatovillian™

Wow, thank you for the feedback. You trialed over 100 varieties last year Cole?
Old March 25, 2016   #84
Dinahsb
Tomatovillian™

Beautiful!
Dinahsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2016   #85
jpop
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinahsb View Post
Beautiful!
Thank you Dina. Just in time as my wife's family is in town from Jax for my wife's birthday and Easter.
Old March 25, 2016   #86
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

They look really good. You definitely have a great harvest going; when did you plant your seeds?

Have you tried Wild Fred yet? It is a cross between NBD and Carbon. Last spring when I WF and TC I don't remember being able to differentiate between the two.

I'm growing WF and WFTD (first time - should be excellent), and Great Dark Dorf which was seeds I saved on cardboard from an excellent tomato I ate last spring; I wasn't positive what it was so I named it GDD. I do think it is TC though b/c I had saved some WF seeds.

How are your plants recovering from the russet mites?

---
Are you having hellacious winds today? We had them yesterday also followed by violent rain.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2016   #87
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpop View Post
Wow, thank you for the feedback. You trialed over 100 varieties last year Cole?
Yep. And hopefully between 100 and 200 new ones this year.
Old March 27, 2016   #88
jpop
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
They look really good. You definitely have a great harvest going; when did you plant your seeds?

Have you tried Wild Fred yet? It is a cross between NBD and Carbon. Last spring when I WF and TC I don't remember being able to differentiate between the two.

I'm growing WF and WFTD (first time - should be excellent), and Great Dark Dorf which was seeds I saved on cardboard from an excellent tomato I ate last spring; I wasn't positive what it was so I named it GDD. I do think it is TC though b/c I had saved some WF seeds.

How are your plants recovering from the russet mites?

---
Are you having hellacious winds today? We had them yesterday also followed by violent rain.
Thank you Barb, planted late, mid November. I have not tried wild fred and these are my 1st dwarfs w/ rosella purple and tas choc. good to hear that they were not very different as tas choc. is a winner and would grow again in a heartbeat.

The new big dwarf not only recovered but set new fruit in a week, unreal how tough it is. Winds have been windy as well and found one of my golden queens tipped over which knocked off 3 large fruit. Also, trialed the 1st one today and must say the taste was excellent. Have not trialed many yellow/gold/orange tomatoes but this one was much better than expected and in fact is the 3rd best thus far following new big dwarf and tas choc.

Another good harvest today w/ pics of cut fruit from golden queen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016-03-27 11.09.51-1.jpg (330.1 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg 2016-03-27 12.18.42-1.jpg (194.4 KB, 58 views)

Last edited by jpop; March 27, 2016 at 08:22 PM.
Old March 27, 2016   #89
jpop
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
Yep. And hopefully between 100 and 200 new ones this year.
Unreal, keep us posted on your winners this season.
Old March 28, 2016   #90
TexasTycoon
Tomatovillian™

Beautiful and delicious-looking harvest!!!
TexasTycoon is offline   Reply With Quote