Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old April 13, 2010   #76
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Dan,

Yes, some interesting areas to explore! I bought a small Ozone generator last Season and was going to try some experiments piping it to the water reservoir to run periodically. Got sidetracked on focusing on a better Grow Media than just straight Potting Mix for SWCs. Maybe this Season after I get the Combo Mix formulation optimized, I'll have some spare time to focus on aeration trials. "So much to do - - So little time"

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2010   #77
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

How about and 10 dollar aquarium pump for aeration, that might work?

Damon
sprtsguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2010   #78
danwigz
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsguy76 View Post
How about and 10 dollar aquarium pump for aeration, that might work?

Damon
That's what I was thinking. A small air pump and maybe a bubble wand or bubble bar for length to aerate a larger area at once. you would probably have to place it in while you were building it, and it would be a mess to remove if needed. Alternatively you might be able to put 2 air stones down the watering pvc if they can go further into the water than just aerating the watering tube.

I'm not sure all the work would be that much of a benefit, judging from the pictures I've seen of all those Earthtainer tomato plants!

Dan
danwigz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2010   #79
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Dan,

And this is not necessarily for everyone - - but I now keep the water level in the reservoir at about 1 to 1.5 inches max. My thinking is to maintain a good size air gap of 2 to 3 inches below the aeration bench to better aerate the roots from the bottom, as well as provide better water "churn" by trying to feed just enough water in to cycle the day's uptake.

This is a snap with the Automated Watering System from the EarthBox folks as it is easy to adjust the water level, so those manually watering their 'Tainers will not be happy with the more frequent watering this will require, but I feel this prevents the "stagnant water" issue, and negates any need to inject oxygen into the water.

Spending $7.00 per plant for the AWS is a heck of a bargain!!

Raybo

Last edited by rnewste; April 14, 2010 at 01:40 AM.
Old April 29, 2010   #80
delson
Tomatovillian™

Raybo,

how many ounces should that flour scoop be?

and i was thinking about lining the wicking basket with the Landscape Fabric, to help the small particles from escaping into the water and compacting, good or bad idea?
delson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2010   #81
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

delson

Yes, some people do line the inside of the wicking basket with the Landscape Fabric (but you need to be a very patient person to do it - not me!). If you have the time and "precision" to do it, by all means go for it.

My flour scoop is probably in the dry Quart size range.

Raybo
Old April 29, 2010   #82
delson
Tomatovillian™

I was only going to line the side, should be pretty easy, cut a strip as high as the inside hight of the basket, put inside around, mark your cut or just hold where it starts to overlap than just cut. cutting a circle for the bottom should not be that hard either.

you can do it!

let us know you did.
Old April 29, 2010   #83
delson
Tomatovillian™

how you did, that is.
Old April 29, 2010   #84
delson
Tomatovillian™

since the flour scoop is generally sold in oz sizes, for anyone else that wants to know the size that works for Raybo is size 38 oz.
Old May 1, 2010   #85
delson
Tomatovillian™

getting ready to fill my tainers with the mix and noticed the sta-green mix i bought says "flower & vegetable planting mix" is this good? or do i have to get potting mix?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0049.jpg (488.4 KB, 39 views)
Old May 1, 2010   #86
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

delson,

Sorry, Wrong stuff.

Needs to be Potting Mix WITHOUT Moisture Control.

Raybo
Old May 2, 2010   #87
delson
Tomatovillian™

this does not say Moisture control. i'm going to read the back.
Old May 2, 2010   #88
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

delson,

You are missing the point. There are two types of Miracle-Gro Potting Mix. One with, and one without Moisture Control additive. The (only) MG Potting Mix you want is pictured on the right:

Alternatively, the Sta-Green from Lowes is my preferred Potting Mix for the EarthTainer.

Raybo
Old May 2, 2010   #89
delson
Tomatovillian™

Raybo,

you are right that it's the wrong thing but not because of the moisture thing, the "flower & vegetable planting mix" does not have it (moisture max, as they call it). on the back is says not recommended for container gardening. gotta go get the "potting mix"
Old May 18, 2010   #90
Wargamer777
Tomatovillian™

Well experimentation is key, so I have tried using the yellow bag Sta-Green Flower and Vegetable Mix in one of my Earthtainers.

I have also used the Ferry Morse Jiffy Mix that just came in to my local Lowes in another.

And Expert Mix from Walmart in yet another....

And Some of my own Mix in yet another... you get the picture. ;-)

I have followed Ray's 3:2:1 Mix guidelines in each earthtainer. Let the experiment games begin!
Wargamer777 is offline   Reply With Quote