Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 23, 2011   #76
travis
Tomatovillian™

It's always nice to see Andrey posting. And his contribution of Eastern European tomatoes is awesome.

However, I have to disagree with "it's alright" to randomly assign specific growth habit designations to tomato varieties simply based on vine height in various garden conditions, climates, and support systems. It would be more useful and less confusing to identify varieties as what they are for a number of obvious reasons. And one might even consider using "compact indeterminate" if that's what it is.

Just one example: Moravsky Div was identified as determinate at the beginning of this discussion, well actually it was said to now be indeterminate, oh wait, I mean it's now semi-determinate, or is it semi-indeterminate? Oh shucks, I'm totally confused. But I am glad I wasn't growing a half dozen plants this year with the intent of using them to create a determinate saladette.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2011   #77
DiggingDogFarm
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis View Post
However, I have to disagree with "it's alright" to randomly assign specific growth habit designations to tomato varieties simply based on vine height in various garden conditions, climates, and support systems. It would be more useful and less confusing to identify varieties as what they are for a number of obvious reasons. And one might even consider using "compact indeterminate" if that's what it is.

Just one example: Moravsky Div was identified as determinate at the beginning of this discussion, well actually it was said to now be indeterminate, oh wait, I mean it's now semi-determinate, or is it semi-indeterminate? Oh shucks, I'm totally confused. But I am glad I wasn't growing a half dozen plants this year with the intent of using them to create a determinate saladette.
I totally agree!

There's more to growth habit than just height! LOL

Old July 23, 2011   #78
DiggingDogFarm
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrey_BY View Post
Unfortunately I've no direct connection to Moravoseed. I've just buy their seeds here in Belarus from our seed companies who used to pack MS seeds in local seed packs.
So then, I guess it's safe to assume that a local Belarusian seed company renamed a Moravoseed cultivar to meet their needs!?

The question now becomes, for those who are interested, what Moravoseed cultivar was renamed?

Old July 23, 2011   #79
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
It's always nice to see Andrey posting. And his contribution of Eastern European tomatoes is awesome.

(We've gotten rather technical here in this thread as to internode distances to determine if a variety is det or indet, and there's nothing at all wrong with that, obviously, b'c it's correct. But I do think that most folks don't even know about that, call a variety det/indet/semi-det based on the appearance of the plant as to height or length of the vines if a person is just sprawling plants, and I don't see anything really wrong with that either as practical working knowledge.)

Travis, please read again what I wrote above. I said I agreed with using internode distances to determine if a variety is det/indet, but I went on to say that I think that most folks have no idea about using internode distances to determine plant habit.

Thus using height or vine length was OK as PRACTICAL WORKING KNOWLEDGE.

What we're considering here really only applies to the way that a variety is described by the FIRST person or company or seed site who introduces it to others, in one way orf another. And if that person doesn't know about internode distances, etc., they're going to base their descriptions on what they see otherwise.

heaven knows all the varieties I first introduced by listing them in the SSE YEarbook, starting in the early 90's, hundreds of them, and I didn't have a clue back then about internode distances, so I called them as I saw them.

With respect to Moravsky Div, that was grown here at home after I was confined to this walker and couldn't get out near those gro-bags to make any real decisions. I had to rely on Freda's observations and what she brought in to me which were leaves, when she wasn't sure about leaf form, and of course I could observe the fruits and taste them when she brought them in.

So while I agree with your, what I might call purist approach, with which I agree , there are reasons to suggest that that doesn't always work well for many folks, whether they be home gardeners, home gardeners breeding tomatoes, folks who own seed sites, and on and on.

So I do hope that you can see that situations aren't always black and white, indeterminate vs determinate, b'c not everyone, and I named some in the paragraph above, knows how to assign plant type to a variety.

And I'm perfectly willing to admit that I didn't even know about using internode distances until I was well along in my so called tomato career. I grew most of my several thousands of varieties by sprawling so I didn't have a clue about height, and yet it wasn't too hard, at least for me, so see the difference in rampant long vine varieties, vs bushy compact ones.

Since I'm still on earth, for now, I'm not perfect in all ways, and that includes tomatoes.

On the upside I know that anything you develop from your own breeding projects will be clearly and properly IDed as to plant habit and that's good, but you haven't sent me anything new lately and so here's the hint.

A doe with two still spotted fawns in the back yard right now, mom eating some roses, fawns cavorting around kicking up their spindly legs which I always think look so fragile. I am so pleased that I can see so many deer here alive, and not hanging from the rafters of one of the barns at the old farm where I was raised, deer shot by my father and his buddies in the Rod and Gun Club.
Old July 23, 2011   #80
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiggingDogFarm View Post
So then, I guess it's safe to assume that a local Belarusian seed company renamed a Moravoseed cultivar to meet their needs!?

The question now becomes, for those who are interested, what Moravoseed cultivar was renamed?

I'm not sure why you're suggesting that anything was renamed. Andrey clearly said that he bought seed from local companies in Belarus who carried Moravoseed varieties.

Andrey posted:

(Unfortunately I've no direct connection to Moravoseed. I've just buy their seeds here in Belarus from our seed companies who used to pack MS seeds in local seed packs.)

Nothing was said about the Belarus companies renaming the Moravoseed varieties.
Old July 23, 2011   #81
coloken
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Quote:

As a bi-stander an a non-expert here I must agree with Travis.
Determinate or indeterminate should be black or white with the node length From the built in genetics. Any thing about height that is dependent on outside influence and conditions should not be considered if 1 foot high or 7 feet high. There are planty of ways to describe growth habits --fast, slow--tall, short, bushy or tree like etc.
It seems to me that this is like calling a 4 door sedan a "coupe" just because it is short and stubby. No way.
coloken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2011   #82
DiggingDogFarm
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Nothing was said about the Belarus companies renaming the Moravoseed varieties.
Yes, that's correct.
But there's absolutely no record of Moravoseed having a cultivar named Moravské Div. Not on their website going back ten years, not anywhere!
Until I can find information that shows that Moravoseed did have a cultivar(s) named Moravské Div, I'm going to assume that Russian/Belarusian seed companies may have done some renaming. (see below)
If anyone can directly link the name Moravské Div to Moravoseed, please let us know!!!!

Now, what I have found.....and to further confuse things.....

I'm not the best at translating Russian, but it appears to me that there is more than one cultivar named (identified as) Moravskoe-Chudo AKA Moravian Wonder (Miracle) AKA Moravské Div AKA Moravsky Div

Here are some Russian Moravian Wonder (Miracle) seed packets.

Not every description describes growth habit, those that do are all indeterminate......

Last edited by DiggingDogFarm; July 23, 2011 at 12:35 PM.
DiggingDogFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2011   #83
DiggingDogFarm
Tomatovillian™

Okay...I've done some more digging....

Interestingly, I found Russian sites using Moravoseed's picture (or croppings of the full pic) of Stupické for Moravskoe-Chudo AKA Moravsky Div.

Picture and description from the Moravoseed website....

And the Russian websites......

http://seedco.ru/sorta_dlya_otkrytogo_grunta

http://kiev.prom.ua/p1093371-moravskoe-chudo.html

http://devsej.narod.ru/tomaty/Tomat_Sort.html

http://www.hozvo.ru/shop/index.php?productID=131

???

Old July 23, 2011   #84
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I don't know you well but with time I've learned that you love to dig as your user name indicates, and not just for bones as the dog in your avatar indicates.

When I was sent 12 packs of seed from Russia, now the CIS, I asked Andrey and Tania and Alex for help translating the names and the specs and they were wonderfully helpful. I've kept that thread b'c the way I had to explain the Russian letters got to be very amusing since I didn't and don't have a scanner.

And Andrey was able to ID most of the sources for most of the packs b'c they have their own logos.

I was messing around with the several links to Moravoseed this AM, which isn't just about seeds as you know, and saw just a few listings for beets, radishes, kohlrabi, but without doing more digging I have no idea if they bred them themselves, as they say they do for some varieties, or if they were listing varieties developed at other companies.

So I say more power to you, and dig all you want to, which I know you will.

As for me, it's back out to the LV to turn the fan up higher and enjoy the tennis semi-finals from Atlanta, that's Atlanta, GA, not the one under water in the Caribbean.
Old July 23, 2011   #85
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I posted without seeing your latest post which I don't have time to read now, but when I said I knew you'd keep digging, I knew I was right.
Old July 23, 2011   #86
DiggingDogFarm
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
I posted without seeing your latest post which I don't have time to read now, but when I said I knew you'd keep digging, I knew I was right.

Old July 23, 2011   #87
DiggingDogFarm
Tomatovillian™

In addition to what Tania already posted....Stupické is linked to Moravskoe-Chudo AKA Moravsky Div on several websites.......

Ступике = Stupické
Моравское чудо = Moravskoe-Chudo AKA Moravsky Div

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...83%D0%B4%D0%BE)

Old July 23, 2011   #88
travis
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, we had to erect a deer fence this year as we too have a doe with twin fawns parking in the woods behind our shade garden. I caught her sniffing certain flowers with drool in the corners of her mouth So up went the fence

I'll write myself a note to send you some of the better stuff this fall when I start mailing out little gift packs. I owe Suze a few as well.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2011   #89
DiggingDogFarm
Tomatovillian™

Well, in the end, I didn't have to look any further than this forum to learn that Moravian Wonder AKA Moravsky Div is a Stupicke, and likely Stupicke polni rane based on the evidence above. It's also interesting to note that Stupicke polni rane appears to be the most popular Stupicke (by far) in the Czech Republic.

Quotes from Andrey in February of 2006.......

Quote:
I've got some seeds for Moravian Wonder from Russia. The second name for this variety is also Stupicke, so this year I will try to do the same as Carolyn did. I think it is one of these 4 strains of Stupicke.
Quote:
There are 4 Czech varieties with Stupicke as a core name (first 2 for outside and last 2 for inside glasshouse):

Stupicke rane (can be translated as Stupicke Early)
Stupicke rane polni (Stupicke Early - sorry, can't translate "polni")
Stupicke rane sklenikove (Stupicke Early for glasshouse)
Stupicke sklenikove (Stupicke for glasshouse)

They were bred in 70s by Research and Plant Breeding Institute of Vegetables at Olomouc, PBS 691 42 Valtice, Czechoslovakia (now Czech Republic), well-known for their huge Allium collection, with the help of CSK Breeding Station Stupice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrey_BY
Moravian Wonder (Stupice) red, early, determinate, round, tasty, Czech 50/80/4 10
And so it goes.....

Anyway, it's been fun!!!

Last edited by DiggingDogFarm; July 24, 2011 at 01:30 PM.
DiggingDogFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2011   #90
DiggingDogFarm
Tomatovillian™

I'll bet that Moravoseed filed my inquiry in the insanity slot!!! I get that a lot!! LOL