Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old August 8, 2012   #76
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

Really such a beautiful bounty for you Mark! I love the salesgirl, she's adorable !
Old August 8, 2012   #77
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

The warmest season since they started keeping records in 1895 means I'll probably never see a year like this one again (unless global warming is true, that is), so I'm happy that I got to have fun with it.

She's my little garden helper. Until tomatoes become sauce or salsa they are not interesting to her brothers, although Fred will water the containers and I did get Jack to help pick tomatoes for a batch of salsa this morning and at least watch the process for a while.

It's been funny watching the Olympics with them, they see some of the athletes from places like Trinidad & Tobago that they can't find on the globe but they know that I have peppers and tomatoes growing from those countries. I tried telling them that the Jamaican runners eat lots of Jamaican peppers and that's what makes them fast, but they wouldn't buy it.
Boutique Tomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2012   #78
gnol
Tomatovillian™

Great shots and very yummy looking tomatoes. And the variety! Oh I just can't wait till our next season here.
gnol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2012   #79
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Mark,
Color me "green" with envy! Looks spectacular.
And you have a backup career lined up as a food photographer.
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2012   #80
ChristinaJo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by marktutt View Post
The warmest season since they started keeping records in 1895 means I'll probably never see a year like this one again (unless global warming is true, that is), so I'm happy that I got to have fun with it.

She's my little garden helper. Until tomatoes become sauce or salsa they are not interesting to her brothers, although Fred will water the containers and I did get Jack to help pick tomatoes for a batch of salsa this morning and at least watch the process for a while.

It's been funny watching the Olympics with them, they see some of the athletes from places like Trinidad & Tobago that they can't find on the globe but they know that I have peppers and tomatoes growing from those countries. I tried telling them that the Jamaican runners eat lots of Jamaican peppers and that's what makes them fast, but they wouldn't buy it.

I liked that story!!!
ChristinaJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2012   #81
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

Last night when the Jamaican men finished 1,2,3 there was some discussion about how good Bolt would be a running the football. (Pop Warner Football training starts next week) They still prefer hamburgers to jerk chicken though.
Old August 11, 2012   #82
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

I have reached the "what was I thinking planting all these" stage. I spent 5 hours canning 16 pints of fire roasted salsa today and made a good dent in the red tomato population. Fire roasting them and letting them drain uses up a lot of tomatoes and gives me a nice thick salsa... Still experimenting with uses for all the whites and yellows and greens, going to try making a Blonde Mary mix tomorrow and maybe try a Green Bloody Mary mix for our Halloween party...

Pink Furry Boar

Cherokee Green

Wes

Sweet Carneros Pink

Red Furry Boar

Black and Brown Boar

Blonde Boar

Dr Wyche's Yellow

Prue

Pantano Romanesco
Old August 14, 2012   #83
gardenfrog
Tomatovillian™

Mark, you have quite an impressive crop!!! What I do with my miscellaneous tomatoes is put them in the blender and slightly cook it with herbs for tomato sauce. It has a different flavor when it is just heated enough to spoon over fresh pasta or rice! Another dimension to the sauce could be to shredd ONE Trinidad Scorpion with your sauce. It is hot, but not the scorcher you'd think!
gardenfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2012   #84
nuk-su-kow
Tomatovillian™

Wow you have awesome varieties and pictures of them. Thanks for sharing.
nuk-su-kow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2012   #85
nuk-su-kow
Tomatovillian™

And you're from Wisconsin too! Now I really regret not planting any tomatoes this year.
nuk-su-kow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2012   #86
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenfrog View Post
Mark, you have quite an impressive crop!!! What I do with my miscellaneous tomatoes is put them in the blender and slightly cook it with herbs for tomato sauce. It has a different flavor when it is just heated enough to spoon over fresh pasta or rice! Another dimension to the sauce could be to shredd ONE Trinidad Scorpion with your sauce. It is hot, but not the scorcher you'd think!
I did that by accident a few years ago when I used an anodized pan to make hot sauce and then used it a few days later to make pasta sauce. Even after several washings the capsaicin was still in the pan's coating and made that batch of pasta sauce too hot for everyone else in the family. Of course I served it to the kids without noticing the heat myself, as I'd been scorching my own receptors...

I got that whole batch to myself and that was when I had to buy my own seperate pans, utensils and blender for making hot sauce...
Old August 14, 2012   #87
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuk-su-kow View Post
And you're from Wisconsin too! Now I really regret not planting any tomatoes this year.
After you've found this place you'll definately be planting tomatoes next year.
Old August 17, 2012   #88
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

Time to go through and top everything this weekend. Took a trip through the garden this morning to survey things and found a few new surprises.

One of the Blue Fog plants where I thought I had not gotten any of the desirable segregants has fuits with blue on it now. I had culled the plant in front of it, so it looks like it needed more light than it was getting. This was a nice, compact plant with heavy fruitset, so I'm happy I found out before they all ended up in sauce and I hadn't had a chance to save seeds.

Blue Fog
\

One of my Searching for the Blue Zebra plants is putting out various sized elongated/oval fruit

Mix the two has started ripening fruit. Tom didn't list these but I got some in a trade. They're a GWR that is running a little smaller than Muddy Waters, but has more pronounced striping in the antho.

Finally I have my striped GWR antho cherry that I know is from one of Tom's lines but I'm not completely sure which. Since finding the first fruit on this neglected plant I've babied it a bit and it's setting more fruit now. The striping on this one is very pronounced.

And here is the picture of the ripe one again
Old August 31, 2012   #89
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

Trying to get back to taking pictures of every variety this season... Here are two of the Tom Wagner cherries.

Fahrenheit Blues

Blue Angel
Old September 1, 2012   #90
clara
Tomatovillian™

Mark, I would like to have a walk through your garden and see all your gems with my own eyes (and snack them, of course!) clara
clara is offline   Reply With Quote