Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 12, 2018   #916
asmx91
Tomatovillian™

In Germany "KARMA PINK" blooms...

asmx91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2018   #917
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmx91 View Post
In Germany "KARMA PINK" blooms...

Simply superb. I love your photo.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2018   #918
JosephineRose
Tomatovillian™

Final count, two: one in an Earthbox, one in a grow bag. All my seedlings look weak this year. I really did not fertilize enough. I am going to give them some extra the next few weeks to see if I can green them up.
JosephineRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2018   #919
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
Hi Bower, glad to see Your KP is weathering mother nature’s mood swings
Not sure if it’s just the light in the photo but she looks a bit on the pale side. I find them to be really hungry plants and do better with lots of fertilizer. I find that for all of my PL plants.
I find heat rather than cold is a more likely cause of blooms not doing their thing. Has the greenhouse been super hot?
Happy to see your plant! And that it’s growing for you. it should set some for you now. Had that first cluster set I would expect a ripe one about 100-105 days from seed approx.
thank you for growing it! I’m glad it’s in tough conditions. Gives good info.
KarenO
Hi KarenO,
Actually the leaves are quite a dark green, that's just the way the sun is shining.
But I am keeping a close eye on nutrient status and have fed them all both some fish fert and some kelpy drink to get them through the early stress period.
Besides the extreme variation in temp (both hot and cold) I planted rather deep and in the cold conditions I believe this has slowed vertical growth on all the plants, as they are putting energy into developing roots closer to the surface where they benefit most from the sun's warmth when it shines. This is okay by me! Because vertical space is limited. And the greenhouse being partly underground etc also tends to favor vegetative growth.
I wouldn't put any judgement on KP's decision to mature the second cluster first. Some things are just random and environmental IMO, and doesn't mean the same would happen in another year. As for now, I'm perfectly happy that the plant is doing fine in the extreme conditions of early spring here!
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2018   #920
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephineRose View Post
Final count, two: one in an Earthbox, one in a grow bag. All my seedlings look weak this year. I really did not fertilize enough. I am going to give them some extra the next few weeks to see if I can green them up.
3 plants, that is great. These are strong resilient plants,they will respond well to that fertilizer. All the best......
Old May 13, 2018   #921
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
Hi KarenO,
Actually the leaves are quite a dark green, that's just the way the sun is shining.
But I am keeping a close eye on nutrient status and have fed them all both some fish fert and some kelpy drink to get them through the early stress period.
Besides the extreme variation in temp (both hot and cold) I planted rather deep and in the cold conditions I believe this has slowed vertical growth on all the plants, as they are putting energy into developing roots closer to the surface where they benefit most from the sun's warmth when it shines. This is okay by me! Because vertical space is limited. And the greenhouse being partly underground etc also tends to favor vegetative growth.
I wouldn't put any judgement on KP's decision to mature the second cluster first. Some things are just random and environmental IMO, and doesn't mean the same would happen in another year. As for now, I'm perfectly happy that the plant is doing fine in the extreme conditions of early spring here!
I'm perfectly happy too, Bower. That's a nice plant, it should do well.
Oh my, I almost can't stand it until you all taste these.
Old May 13, 2018   #922
friedgreen51
Tomatovillian™

Default The KARMA Project

Here are two of my Karma tomatoes. I started the seed on January 29th and transplanted them on April 24th. They were a little leggier than I wanted but the April weather wasn't cooperating. They have recovered fine and are getting a few blooms.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Karma 1.jpg (353.8 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg Karma 2.jpg (407.0 KB, 95 views)
friedgreen51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2018   #923
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by friedgreen51 View Post
Here are two of my Karma tomatoes. I started the seed on January 29th and transplanted them on April 24th. They were a little leggier than I wanted but the April weather wasn't cooperating. They have recovered fine and are getting a few blooms.
Thanks for the photos, they look really nice, all things considered. They should recover well. You have good support for the legginess. I know it was far colder in April than normal, many were delayed. This should be a good trial for them.
Old May 13, 2018   #924
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
I'm perfectly happy too, Bower. That's a nice plant, it should do well.
Oh my, I almost can't stand it until you all taste these.
Well the first flower is open this morning, so it won't be long!
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2018   #925
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

That’s awesome Bower, I thought it might just be the light.
So fun watching everyone’s plants growing
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2018   #926
Clay Mountain
Tomatovillian™

Here's my first KARMA Pink two days after plant out and immediately after weathering her first (surprise) thuderstorm set. She's a trooper! I have one more waiting to go out and the third will be gracing a good friend's garden. I just had to share!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180513_144143-565x680.jpg (190.3 KB, 76 views)
Clay Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2018   #927
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Hey ladies, your Karma Pink has fruit set, I will tease you with words, the pics will come soon. I had it in a different GH, but recently moved it to my experimental GH. I think you are going to like what you will see soon. Until then, have a nice spring.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2018   #928
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Mountain View Post
Here's my first KARMA Pink two days after plant out and immediately after weathering her first (surprise) thuderstorm set. She's a trooper! I have one more waiting to go out and the third will be gracing a good friend's garden. I just had to share!
Oh she looks great thank you so much for the photo! I hope you and your friend both get loads of fruit from your plants
KarenO
Old May 13, 2018   #929
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmark View Post
Hey ladies, your Karma Pink has fruit set, I will tease you with words, the pics will come soon. I had it in a different GH, but recently moved it to my experimental GH. I think you are going to like what you will see soon. Until then, have a nice spring.
Suspense... I am fairly certain we will like what we see you teaser. I bet you are up to your eyeballs in work at this time of year, thank you for the update and we will be excited to see your plants later on
KarenO
Old May 13, 2018   #930
Koala Doug
Tomatovillian™

Here is my KARMA Pink happy to get out of the garage and into the relatively 'warm' mid-day high in the upper 50s (we had just had three days of highs in the mid-40s and lows in the mid-30s). The first flower cluster is looking good and the second is ready for its day in the sun.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (459.2 KB, 72 views)
Koala Doug is offline   Reply With Quote