Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 19, 2017   #91
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3vin View Post
Here are the ones I was not able to find any info for:

Pravado
PBX
Bice's Pink
Sheryl's Portuguese Red Heart
Spud Raney's Large Pink
RAF Fimande (spelling ???)
Jalimber
Black Amber
Aladi Orange (spelling ???)

Pravado is actually spelled Pravda. I apologize if I spelled it wrong on slip.

Pravda. Pravda is close to Crovarese in taste and tomato size. Just a touch more acidic than Crovarese. Produces a bit later than the other plants I had, but it seemed to wait til we had all the 90+ temps and then it went to town . Pravda does not like to be overwatered or wet feet. It really likes to be kept on the dry side.

I mean it really does not like very much water at all. When it first started fruiting I had a few tomatoes with BER on it and when I read about BER reasons here on TV I discovered that over watering is a major cause. Once I cut back drastically on the water, the plant grew and produced great. For flavor and size, even with my beginning watering problems it was my second best tasting tomato. It's one I will grow again for sure, now that I know what it likes to grow. Grew about 4-5' for me. Did have to string it up as it got loaded with heavy fruit clusters.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Pravda

Aladi orange I have a feeling is Aladdin's Orange. They may have just abbreviated name.

Dice's Pink.... Maybe somebody else will chime in, but if you go to this thread from 2007

http://tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=7141
Tania was trying to figure about Ispolin tomato and if you scroll on down you'll find a post from Dice. I imagine it is maybe one of his crosses or something he brought back and maybe just named after him and pink for the color.

Again, hopefully the person who grew Spud Rainey's Pink will chime in. The only thing I could find was that Rainey is a tomato grower, possible breeder and that the tomato may be Spudakee , shortened, or a cross grown by this person. I know not much help.

Raf Fimande ....

http://www.delectationoftomatoes.com...F_Fimande.html

ask Heirloomtomatoguy about it. He grew it.

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=39251

read next post too about Dice.

Last edited by Starlight; February 19, 2017 at 09:58 AM. Reason: add on
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2017   #92
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Just found this while looking at old Homestead thread.

Dice is a member here. Not sure if Dice is still around. Could Dice be the name of person who sent seed in or where seed originally came from?

http://www.tomatoville.com/private.php?do=newpm&u=1123

Last edited by Starlight; February 19, 2017 at 09:57 AM. Reason: added link
Old February 19, 2017   #93
k3vin
Tomatovillian™

Wow, thanks Star, you are resourceful. That cleared up a few of them.
k3vin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2017   #94
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=34789

Re Black Amber. I received seeds too and I think I will squeeze it in somewhere to give it a try. Would be nice to know more about the origin, who bred it etc.

KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2017   #95
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=34789

Re Black Amber. I received seeds too and I think I will squeeze it in somewhere to give it a try. Would be nice to know more about the origin, who bred it etc.

KarenO
Karen... I tried every which way I could to try and find you some info. Lots of Black Amber sorgum seeds out there. Sure ya don't want to grow it? Black Amber, if it a French tomato transplates to Noir Ambre. Lots of dead ends later and lots of google pages I finally came across this:

https://delectationoftomatoes.wordpr...y-in-for-2016/

Scroll down to the tomato section and past all the Russian translations and you will see a list of ones Dale had seedlings for growing last year.

Best I could find is to contact him at Dale@gianttomatoseeds.com
I have a feeling that he could give you more of the background information your looking for.
Old February 20, 2017   #96
HudsonValley
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
Karen... I tried every which way I could to try and find you some info. Lots of Black Amber sorgum seeds out there. Sure ya don't want to grow it? Black Amber, if it a French tomato transplates to Noir Ambre. Lots of dead ends later and lots of google pages I finally came across this:

https://delectationoftomatoes.wordpr...y-in-for-2016/

Scroll down to the tomato section and past all the Russian translations and you will see a list of ones Dale had seedlings for growing last year.

Best I could find is to contact him at Dale@gianttomatoseeds.com
I have a feeling that he could give you more of the background information your looking for.
I received Black Amber, too, and after a regular Google search went nowhere, I tried searching in languages other than English. A few French tomato websites describe Black Amber as indeterminate, regular-leaf, productive, and mid-season, with mahogany purple fruit that are flattened, ribbed, juicy, and similar in appearance to Purple Calabash. The variety's origin is unknown.

Photo here: http://www.jardinsdetomates.fr/index...95-black-amber

My high school French teacher would be so proud.
HudsonValley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2017   #97
patty_b
Tomatovillian™

Default Jalimber

From Ukraine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170221_074938.jpg (268.6 KB, 170 views)
File Type: jpg 20170221_074955.jpg (222.8 KB, 167 views)
patty_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2017   #98
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3vin View Post
Here are the ones I was not able to find any info for:

Pravado
PBX
Bice's Pink
Sheryl's Portuguese Red Heart
Spud Raney's Large Pink
RAF Fimande (spelling ???)
Jalimber
Black Amber
Aladi Orange (spelling ???)

PBX, Bice's, Spud Raney's, Jalimber all are from patty_b. All are correctly spelled, I think.

RAF Fimande (spelling, too) is from heirloomtomaguy.

Altai Orange might be the last one, said to be early, and of course, orange.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2017   #99
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

To chime in
Altai Orange might be one. It is early intense orange and I would put it ahead of Azoychka in everything, it was that good last year.
http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Altaiskiy_Oranzhevyi
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2017   #100
patty_b
Tomatovillian™

PBX.... named by Larry Watson, PA from a seed that I sent to him that was different. Similiar to Yellow Cookie and Yellow Slicer.

Spud Raney's if Angela F. sees this she can give details but I think it originated in WV

Bice's Pink .... from a family run greenhouse in WV. Bice is their last name. My Brother in law Rick Britton generous in getting the seed for me to try.

Bleeding Heart a PL heart that may not be completely stable yet but mine were very nice last year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s Bice's Pink 035.JPG (85.3 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg s Bleeding Heart PL 091.JPG (88.9 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg s PBX 045.JPG (85.6 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg Spud Raneys 014.JPG (85.0 KB, 142 views)
patty_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2017   #101
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty_b View Post
PBX.... named by Larry Watson, PA from a seed that I sent to him that was different. Similiar to Yellow Cookie and Yellow Slicer.

Spud Raney's if Angela F. sees this she can give details but I think it originated in WV

Bice's Pink .... from a family run greenhouse in WV. Bice is their last name. My Brother in law Rick Britton generous in getting the seed for me to try.

Bleeding Heart a PL heart that may not be completely stable yet but mine were very nice last year.

Very nice looking tomatoes Patti_B
Old February 21, 2017   #102
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tash11 View Post
I got one like that too.

I also would like info on:
Pozhar
Queen Elizabeth
Dwarf Cherokee Tiger Dark Red
Queen Elizabeth is semi det? fairly compact up to 3 ft plant, with large barrel or heart like fruits, pearly pink to raspberry color. Very tasty. Started for me early mid and continued for long time evenly.
Old February 21, 2017   #103
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
I have a few I couldn't find info on either.

Dagestanskyi

Bleeding Heart (All my searches for this one just showed the ornamental flowering plant)

Deep Space

Heroda's

Ludmilla ( found some description but one said a red plum, another a pink heart and a third site said a giant yellow. So confused)

Mom's Heart

Pitanga ( Thanks for the info from above, will add it to my card)

Rose de L'omio

Any help would be appreciated! : )
In case it did not get addressed- Dagestanskiy is one of my fav hearts, uber productive and tasty, midseason, tall and vigorous.
Mom's heart grown in my garden was very large pink heart or flat beef, midseason, very tasty. Am thinking came from Tville members.
Old February 22, 2017   #104
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindalana View Post
In case it did not get addressed- Dagestanskiy is one of my fav hearts, uber productive and tasty, midseason, tall and vigorous.
Mom's heart grown in my garden was very large pink heart or flat beef, midseason, very tasty. Am thinking came from Tville members.
Thanks Lindalana. That's a help.
Old February 22, 2017   #105
MissS
Tomatovillian™

I received Bleeding Heart as well. When I looked it up the description said - Bi-color heart, Potato Leaf, 4-6 oz fruits that are mid season. Red/yellow fruits that are sweet and fruity. Productive.

Mom's Heart - A red heart shaped tomato up to 1 lb. with outstanding flavor. Reg leaf.

Rose de L'omio - Much like Rose de Bern but more heart shaped. RL with very good flavor.

Last edited by MissS; February 22, 2017 at 10:44 AM.
MissS is offline   Reply With Quote