Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old May 3, 2013   #91
kforbs126
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInOhio View Post
Thank you for the order and let me know how the garden turns out.

Thanks,
Mike
Hey Mike I do have a question about the Cayenne seeds I bought for you. What is the normal height for these? All my other plants are growing well, no flowers yet. The Cayennes are about a foot and a half and are flowering. I'm not sure if I should cut off the flowers to encourage it to grow more. Thanks for the help.
kforbs126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2013   #92
MikeInOhio
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kforbs126 View Post
Hey Mike I do have a question about the Cayenne seeds I bought for you. What is the normal height for these? All my other plants are growing well, no flowers yet. The Cayennes are about a foot and a half and are flowering. I'm not sure if I should cut off the flowers to encourage it to grow more. Thanks for the help.
They aren't the largest pepper plant variety out there. I would just let them go, and see how you do. Or maybe cut flowers on half of them and leave the rest alone. What other varieties are you growing?

-Mike
MikeInOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2013   #93
kforbs126
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInOhio View Post
They aren't the largest pepper plant variety out there. I would just let them go, and see how you do. Or maybe cut flowers on half of them and leave the rest alone. What other varieties are you growing?

-Mike
Hi Mike, I may try it on one of the 3 cayenne's but let the others go. I am growing the Stravros hot, jalapeno, orange hab and the sweet hungarian. So far they are all about the same size. I do have a long growing season out here in san diego so I'm not so worried that they'll only fruit early and not again. Also I would like to tell you how wonder the pink brandywine are. I have one plant that has taken off big time, it's about 4 ft in my 5 gallon container. Your seeds are wonderful
Old May 7, 2013   #94
MikeInOhio
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kforbs126 View Post
Hi Mike, I may try it on one of the 3 cayenne's but let the others go. I am growing the Stravros hot, jalapeno, orange hab and the sweet hungarian. So far they are all about the same size. I do have a long growing season out here in san diego so I'm not so worried that they'll only fruit early and not again. Also I would like to tell you how wonder the pink brandywine are. I have one plant that has taken off big time, it's about 4 ft in my 5 gallon container. Your seeds are wonderful
Sounds like all is going well! I can't believe you have a 4-foot plant at this time of year, but I understand you started them well before I did and the climate is different. My tomatoes are all about 12" and won't be planted for another few weeks.

Let me know how they turn out.

Regards,
Mike
Old May 13, 2013   #95
Logrus9
Tomatovillian™

Mike - got my seeds today, they'll be in the DE by tonight! Can't wait for the Siberian Pink Honey.
Logrus9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013   #96
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Default Question about black cherry

Hi Mike,
I looked at your catalog and it says the name Black Cherry, origin Russia.
The question is, are there 2 different ones with the same name? The Black Cherry I am most familiar with was bred by Vince Sapp, Linda Sapp of Tomato Growers Supply's husband.
So this one is different tomato with same name?
Marsha
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013   #97
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Mike,
I was able to include your particular strain of Rutgers in my trial. I must say, even though you thought the strain you had was probably nothing special, the early results are in and your plants are the most likely of any I planted to be either that long lost strain, or more closely related to it than any of the others I tried.

I planted 5 seeds & got 5 to germinate. One was a hard hat that never recovered. Of the 4 remaining, all are showing good health and the particular heavy foliage Rutgers is known for producing.

They are not the biggest so far. Burpee premium organic is the biggest so far, although only germinating 1/5. But I am pretty sure that is the earlier indeterminate strain and not the improved semi-determinate strain I was looking for. While not the biggest, yours are definitely the most consistent.

Over-all I would say I am very happy so far with your seeds. Even on something as small as a seed, quality shows. Lets see what happens now that they are in the ground and pretty much on their own.

PS. So far the worst in my project are the Ferry Morse seeds. Only 2/5 germination. The two were the only Rutgers hit hard by the late frost when I accidently left the greenhouse door open, and they are not recovering much at all so far.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013   #98
MikeInOhio
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Hi Mike,
I looked at your catalog and it says the name Black Cherry, origin Russia.
The question is, are there 2 different ones with the same name? The Black Cherry I am most familiar with was bred by Vince Sapp, Linda Sapp of Tomato Growers Supply's husband.
So this one is different tomato with same name?
Marsha
Marsha,

That is a good question. My original seeds came from Italy (Bavicchi) many years ago. I know they listed it as a Russian variety, although I can't say for sure.

-Mike
Old May 16, 2013   #99
MikeInOhio
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron View Post
Mike,
I was able to include your particular strain of Rutgers in my trial. I must say, even though you thought the strain you had was probably nothing special, the early results are in and your plants are the most likely of any I planted to be either that long lost strain, or more closely related to it than any of the others I tried.

I planted 5 seeds & got 5 to germinate. One was a hard hat that never recovered. Of the 4 remaining, all are showing good health and the particular heavy foliage Rutgers is known for producing.

They are not the biggest so far. Burpee premium organic is the biggest so far, although only germinating 1/5. But I am pretty sure that is the earlier indeterminate strain and not the improved semi-determinate strain I was looking for. While not the biggest, yours are definitely the most consistent.

Over-all I would say I am very happy so far with your seeds. Even on something as small as a seed, quality shows. Lets see what happens now that they are in the ground and pretty much on their own.

PS. So far the worst in my project are the Ferry Morse seeds. Only 2/5 germination. The two were the only Rutgers hit hard by the late frost when I accidently left the greenhouse door open, and they are not recovering much at all so far.
Scott,

That is very interesting indeed! Let me know what you think at the end of the year. I always save a few hundred seeds so I'll make sure to hold onto those pending your trials.

I'm pleased to hear that you are happy with the seeds. I take the harvesting/fermentation process very seriously. The State of Ohio tests me every year and all of my personally-grown tomato seeds tested over 95%.

I'm adding 15 new varieties this year and I'm thinking of planting over the weekend. There's still the possibility of frost, but the long-term forecast looks good.

Good luck with your plants.

-Mike
Old May 16, 2013   #100
MikeInOhio
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logrus9 View Post
Mike - got my seeds today, they'll be in the DE by tonight! Can't wait for the Siberian Pink Honey.
Let me know how you do. I love 'em!

-Mike
Old June 16, 2013   #101
kforbs126
Tomatovillian™

Mike quick question. I have a bunch of the stavros sweet peppers that have a ton of fruit on them. Almost all of them are dark green. I have one plant that they are all the typical light green/yellow pepperocini color. My question is what color would I pick them for pickling?
Old June 20, 2013   #102
raindrops27
Tomatovillian™

Second order in for this company. I must say they are pretty reliable and generous with seeds not to mention low shipping cost!! Thanks Mike!
raindrops27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2013   #103
kellyst
Tomatovillian™

This is my second year growing Siberian Pink Honey. So far they are off to the races! Half the plants already have several tennis ball sized tomatoes on them. Few of my other plants, including my normal "early" tomatoes, have any fruit set yet.
kellyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2013   #104
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyst View Post
This is my second year growing Siberian Pink Honey. So far they are off to the races! Half the plants already have several tennis ball sized tomatoes on them. Few of my other plants, including my normal "early" tomatoes, have any fruit set yet.
Kelly perhaps you haven't seen the thread where it was discussed that Siberian is not part of the name and Mike knows that as well but perhaps still hasn't changed the name at his website.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Rozovyi_Myod

I'm just trying to get everyone to use the right name for this variety.

Carolyn
Old June 23, 2013   #105
amaliepiers
Tomatovillian™

Default Thanks mike from Ohio Heirloom seeds

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the super quick turnaround- I ordered the seeds on Wednesday and they arrived Friday. Very impressive!
Best,
Ali Wilson
amaliepiers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mikeinohio , ohio heirloom seeds , rare tomato seeds