Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old June 21, 2014   #91
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Mark,

This is so amazing, I am speechless.

Beautiful pictures, and so good looking tomatoes so early!!!

This is so motivational.

All the best,
Tatiana

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2014   #92
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Default Spaghetti sauce

A little more than 5 hours for the sauce. lol

Thanks James, the good weather we had in the spring helped the tomatoes a lot.
Tania, those Cowlick seeds came from you, thanks On one of them I have picked at least 10lbs and a few days ago counted 46 tomatoes still on it, the plant is huge now. About two months ago I took about 25 cuttings from it , and they are fruit producing machines too, but in another greenhouse.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SANY0448.JPG (362.5 KB, 212 views)
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2014   #93
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Default Forest pics

Here's a few pics I took this morning, and for the most part everything is ok.
I have had some issues to deal with although, grey mold, and aphids in greenhouse 2. I just crank up the fans, and prune plants for mold control, and set the parasitic wasps loose on the aphids. We looked at several leaves last night under the microscope, that were covered with aphids, a few living ones, dying ones, and many dead bodies. It is actually really interesting to look at, anyway... the wasps appear to be winning, I hope.
Look how horrible the leaves look on Caspian Pink, happens every time, but they yield great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SANY0474.JPG (382.7 KB, 188 views)
File Type: jpg SANY0473.JPG (382.1 KB, 190 views)
Old June 23, 2014   #94
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Default Tomato devestation

My new tomato of interest, Delicious, I have never seen anything like it, I estimate about 8lb on a couple of trusses trusses, and another plant is looking like some kind of a beefsteak multiflora freak, I have to pick off many tomatoes on it. They tasted great too.
Here's a pic of Green Giant too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SANY0464.JPG (359.2 KB, 190 views)
File Type: jpg SANY0465.JPG (363.9 KB, 192 views)
File Type: jpg SANY0467.JPG (375.2 KB, 192 views)
Old June 23, 2014   #95
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Default Cowlick's Brandywine prize

Here is a couple of pics of a single Cowlick's in a 20 gallon container, I have picked a lot from it already, and it is ugly but loaded. The plant has been pruned to 4 branches, and most of the tomatoes are around a pound, give or take a couple of ounces.
The pics just don't do this one justice, but all branches are loaded, and the fruits are really looking nice, hardly any cracks now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SANY0468.JPG (359.6 KB, 191 views)
File Type: jpg SANY0471.JPG (353.2 KB, 193 views)
File Type: jpg SANY0469.JPG (344.0 KB, 191 views)
File Type: jpg SANY0470.JPG (372.5 KB, 192 views)
Old June 23, 2014   #96
bower
Tomatovillian™

Mark, I would love to know, what is your day/night temperature regime. You have really hit it spot on for the tomato paradise conditions, fabulous production of these varieties that are not well adapted to cooler climates.

My own greenhouse is unheated, so I am subject to the whims of the sun and the season, but sometimes I have a choice between ventilating more to reduce humidity, or less to increase the temperature... I'm still trying to figure out what is best, and how to tweak what I can for the best results.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2014   #97
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Bower, try night time about 58-6o. Start your seeds early, use warm water until mid May, set containers on something besides the cold ground. During the day I run my vents all of the time when its not raining, once a day even during rain, this helps with grey mold, and plants love the fresh air. Don't be afraid to feed the plants, I have never burned up a tomato plant. The plants I started one month after the plants you have been seeing pictures of, are just starting to bear fruit, early, early.
Another thing I do is lots of cuttings. I have access to one greenhouse until June, so I chop up my favorites of the season and move the cuts in well rooted, they seem to produce much faster than seedlings and I know what to expect from them.
I am also trying to keep plants in small containers longer, this seems to be reducing plant size, but fruit set is awesome to say the least, pics of this coming. I transplant plants from 1 gallon bags, into 10 gallon and bigger, with baby tomatoes already set.
Good luck Bower

Old June 24, 2014   #98
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Great pictures, Mark. Are you fertilizing with fish?

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2014   #99
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

efisakov, I don't use fish, but maybe I should, they are in every stream around here, good excuse to go fishing too.
Old June 24, 2014   #100
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

I do, some fish guts and heads in tomato bed. Makes them grow like monsters.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2014   #101
bower
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the night temperature tip, Mark. I don't actually have much if any control over it - but I know the night temp has been colder than that up until recently, and the day temperature between 60 and 70 F. Some varieties will produce at those temperatures but others, little or none.

Several of the plants that were holdouts have started to grow some fruit since the nights went around 58-62 as you said. There have been a few days above 70 as well, and that seems to be the key also for some of them. The warmer nights are getting to be consistent, but the days above 70 are when they really popped. If we have any sun it warms up quickly and then I can tweak the temperature by giving more or less ventilation - I've been ventilating more than heating up because it's been so damp and I thought better to reduce the relative humidity. The breeze is a real cooler this year due to so many bergs.. Warmest greenhouse high this year was 78 F, so far, with full sunshine and the windows opened... It's shaping up like the really bad summer three years ago - all about these huge pieces of Greenland glacier ice shelf that plopped into the ocean and two years later, they've drifted down here and are chillin my tomatoes all season long. Huge plants and little fruit is what we got then, and the horrors of mold...

It's pouring rain and NE winds again today - 50 F out and just holding steady at 60 in the greenhouse, but the forecast is calling for normal summer temperatures and westerlies next week with some sunshine, for as long as it lasts.... I'm going to aim for some higher day temps and close up early if necessary for a warmer night. If the stragglers don't set me some fruit after a few days of that, I'll have to cut em down and try them again some other year.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2014   #102
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Default Go Gregory

Gregori's Altai is looking good very impressed, the trusses are loading up. Green Zebra is looking good too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SANY0522.JPG (388.1 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg SANY0529.JPG (363.3 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg SANY0523.JPG (367.5 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg SANY0521.JPG (383.1 KB, 122 views)
Old June 29, 2014   #103
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Default Black tomatoes, finally

I started Paul Robeson and Blk Prince a bit later, so I am just starting to see ripe ones, but they are loading up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SANY0530.JPG (362.2 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg SANY0525.JPG (372.9 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg SANY0526.JPG (367.3 KB, 121 views)
Old June 29, 2014   #104
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Default Another view

This is my greenhouse that is just a cold frame, I kept plants in smaller containers for longer, not by choice, this reduced plant size, but the fruit is setting as normal. These were transplanted around June 1st. There are Early Girls, Bloody Butcher, Jet Star, Gregori's, Green Zebra, Trust, Charger, and Blk Cherry cuttings in this one,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SANY0518.JPG (390.1 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg SANY0517.JPG (388.9 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg SANY0520.JPG (356.7 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg SANY0519.JPG (382.1 KB, 121 views)
Old June 29, 2014   #105
Goldie321
Tomatovillian™

Wow, gorgeous! Going to be starting seedlings for Florida's second growing season - the fall - pretty soon. Will try an different variety. Amish Paste didn't produce very well. Nice tomatoes but not a lot of them.
Goldie321 is offline   Reply With Quote