Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 10, 2013   #91
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

I love ribbed tomatoes, that Yildiz looks terrific!
Old January 19, 2013   #92
Baizanator
Tomatovillian™

I started my peppers today....

Mehmet's Sweet Turkish
Sorbaci (spelling?)
Kandil Bell Pepper
Baizanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2013   #93
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

I took a picture of Turkish Ayla, today. Fruits are firm and have a beautiful pink color. No cracking observed. Fruits were small for me but growing conditions were probably not ideal (I grew these in winter). A late and regular leaf variety. I haven't tasted it yet but will do so when I harvest the seeds. Thanks Jennifer for introducing this variety to us.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Turkish Ayla.JPG (349.8 KB, 34 views)
chancethegardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2013   #94
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Looks good

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2013   #95
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

I want to point out certain things and give an update regarding the ANATOHUM project. The main goal of the project is to create an online database of Anatolian heirlooms while I would consider the project more successful if the varieties can be grown by volunteers who can provide feedback. Some varieties in the project are uncommon but not rare, some are very rare, some are endangered, and some are more commonly available. In other words, the project is not necessarily saving the world or Anatolian varieties every single time a variety is entered into the database, it is simply a contribution to understanding the biological diversity of Turkey's geographic location.

With these points in mind, I feel obliged to make a point clear: I have recently started a seed company. Through this seed company, I will be reselling commonly known international heirlooms while I will also offer Turkish varieties (and other uncommon heirlooms from Europe and Asia if any) of which seeds I will produce myself. While I don't necessarily release all varieties I enter into the database (mostly because I can produce very limited amount of seeds for some varieties and I won't send seeds out for these varieties until I produce more seeds), once I release a variety, I send it to few people who are volunteers for the project. The rest is left to the volunteers who can freely use the seed exchange thread on the project page. So while I appreciate the offer, I have to ask you NOT to send me seeds once you grow a variety, simply because I might be selling seeds for the same varieties in the future. As I indicated above, you can offer them in the seed exchange thread of the project site.

Also, I would like to remind you that once I release a variety, I will provide the number of people I will send seeds and this number will be updated on the webpage as people sign up. Once this is done, MY offer will be closed for that variety (exceptions are possible). I don't like pushing people to sign up for the project forum so although it is more difficult and time consuming for me to coordinate between different websites, if you want to voluntarily grow a variety, you can also PM me here.
Old March 28, 2013   #96
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

If you have volunteered for the project but haven't let me know about the plant types (not specific varieties) that you are interested to grow, please do so. From now on, I will send seeds out randomly based on your preferences (limited by factors such as your garden space, your interest in a specific plant type etc). This is going to be a lot less time-consuming for me and also I can move things faster.

If you would like to be removed from the volunteer list, please also let me know. Here is my list of volunteers:

Baizanator
cornbreadlouie
carolyn137
DeanRIowa
dinca
Diriel
dustdevil
fischer1611
frdlturner
jennifer28
jwr6404
Kurt
lakelady
ljp
Mandy97
meadowyck
MrsJustice
Nativeplanter
nctomatoman
Patti1957
peppero
Redbaron
sicily
texasjack
The Future

Last edited by chancethegardener; March 28, 2013 at 06:09 PM.
Old March 28, 2013   #97
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

Sorry, I missed this post. Not Sorbaci, Corbaci. Rest is correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baizanator View Post
I started my peppers today....

Mehmet's Sweet Turkish
Sorbaci (spelling?)
Kandil Bell Pepper
Old June 20, 2013   #98
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

A new, exciting find for the project: Manisa Alacasi, a purple striped eggplant variety.
http://anatohum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic...=78&p=136#p136
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ManisaAlacasiANATOHUM.JPG (400.6 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by chancethegardener; June 20, 2013 at 07:18 PM.
Old June 20, 2013   #99
peppero
Tomatovillian™

Mehmet this is to let you know the corbaci and mehmet sweet pepper seeds you sent me are doing well as plants. will keep you posted. the eggplant looks great.

jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2013   #100
dinca
Tomatovillian™

Default KANDIL BELL PEPPER

You sent seeds of Kandil Bell Pepper and Corbaci Pepper. Thank you.

I planted four seeds of each and got 1 seedling of each variety. I planted both into 4 gallon containers. Corbaci never thrived and finally gave up the ghost. Kandil looks like this:

100_1047.jpg

The fruit is about 1.5 inches long. I haven't tasted it yet.
dinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2013   #101
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

Wow. Picture proves how productive Kandil can be. Corbaci is not a vigorous grower but is a productive variety, too. I wish you can grow it again.

Thanks for the picture. Do I have your permission to use it for the database?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinca View Post
You sent seeds of Kandil Bell Pepper and Corbaci Pepper. Thank you.

I planted four seeds of each and got 1 seedling of each variety. I planted both into 4 gallon containers. Corbaci never thrived and finally gave up the ghost. Kandil looks like this:

Attachment 36635

The fruit is about 1.5 inches long. I haven't tasted it yet.
Old July 28, 2013   #102
macmex
Tomatovillian™

Mehmet,
My seed of Dolma Kabak is from 2009. Germination is still good. But I fear it will be declining before next growing season. I made several plantings of it this year and all of them were wiped out by squash bugs or grasshoppers. No c. pepo squash survived here this summer. I will put my seed in frozen storage and try again. However, if you would be willing, I would like to send you some and let you or someone you trust try to grow it out for seed. I really don't want to lose it.

This summer is the best we've had in four years, for precipitation and moderation of temperature. But my garden was hit by a plague of grasshoppers like I have never before seen. They wiped out most of the garden. I tried several organic powders and sprays. I used grasshopper semaspore. But nothing stemmed the tide of destructive grasshoppers.

Finally, my wife came up with the idea of using a shop vac (wet/dry) to vacuum them off of plants, before sunrise. I've been "harvesting" between 2-4 gallons of grasshoppers a day for the last three weeks, and this, primarily from a 100 X 32" garden!

George
Tahlequah, OK
macmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2013   #103
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

Hi Chance,

My peppers are doing pretty well, but I have not had time to do much gardening this summer with my new job. Will post some pics as soon as I can. Corbaci looks terrific and are now orange and turning red !
Old July 28, 2013   #104
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmex View Post
Mehmet,
My seed of Dolma Kabak is from 2009. Germination is still good. But I fear it will be declining before next growing season. I made several plantings of it this year and all of them were wiped out by squash bugs or grasshoppers. No c. pepo squash survived here this summer. I will put my seed in frozen storage and try again. However, if you would be willing, I would like to send you some and let you or someone you trust try to grow it out for seed. I really don't want to lose it.

This summer is the best we've had in four years, for precipitation and moderation of temperature. But my garden was hit by a plague of grasshoppers like I have never before seen. They wiped out most of the garden. I tried several organic powders and sprays. I used grasshopper semaspore. But nothing stemmed the tide of destructive grasshoppers.

Finally, my wife came up with the idea of using a shop vac (wet/dry) to vacuum them off of plants, before sunrise. I've been "harvesting" between 2-4 gallons of grasshoppers a day for the last three weeks, and this, primarily from a 100 X 32" garden!

George
Tahlequah, OK
did you say GALLONS a day George? holy cow I would have felt like it was a plague! And I freak out when one or two jump in front of me and scare me lol...
Old July 28, 2013   #105
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

Your grasshopper story is scary. I am sorry that you had to deal with them.
I would be very happy to grow the 'dolma kabak' variety you have. In fact, I am planning to grow several different Turkish squash varieties this fall. I can grow your seeds next spring at the latest.

Kabak means 'squash' and dolmalik means 'for stuffing' in Turkish. There are tens of different Turkish dolmalik kabak varieties because stuffing squash is a very common culinary tradition. There are many different regional and very old recipes so there are some high quality dolma kabak varieties due to selection process occurred probably through hundreds of years.

I found one of these varieties in the SSE Yearbook and requested seeds to grow this fall. I am not sure if your dolma kabak is the same variety as I requested or not but as I said above, seed contributions to the ANATOHUM project are always welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmex View Post
Mehmet,

George
Tahlequah, OK