Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 11, 2014   #91
tedln

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensplace View Post
Dinner last night was Italian bread sliced diagonally and allowed to dry for a day, then one side dipped in EVOO with purple garlic. Then allowed to sit for a few hours and lightly toasted on both sides. Topped this on the side without the oil and garlic with Pico de Gallo when cooled. Delicious
I've always oiled and garlicked my bread before toasting. I was watching a cooking show recently and the lady said you should always toast your bread in the oven before oiling and adding the condiments like garlic. Her thought was the EVOO and garlic retained more taste when applied to toasted bread slices. I haven't tried it, but it sounds reasonable.

Ted
Old September 11, 2014   #92
tedln

drew51,
"Maybe put some Trinidad perfume peppers in there too for seasoning"

I grew the Trinidad Perfume this year for the first time. I expected it to produce peppers with a strong Chili pepper taste and possibly some sweetness with zero heat.

I got the zero heat, but the peppers have an almost citrus flavor like a mild lemon. I can't think of anything to use the peppers in to achieve a desired flavor. They are very good tasting, but they don't taste like a pepper to me. My large plant is loaded with bright yellow peppers. I may dry a few and grind them to see what they taste like dried.

Ted
Old September 11, 2014   #93
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Ted, I used onion and chive cream cheese to stuff, bake at 450 for 10-15 minutes. Not bad!
A good appetizer before dinner.
Habaneros kinda taste like the Trinidad, my scotch bonnet taste just like it, except are hot. I look at it like a seasoning pepper. You could tone down any dish that uses habanero or scotch bonnets by substituting some the habs with perfume.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2014   #94
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedln View Post
I've always oiled and garlicked my bread before toasting. I was watching a cooking show recently and the lady said you should always toast your bread in the oven before oiling and adding the condiments like garlic. Her thought was the EVOO and garlic retained more taste when applied to toasted bread slices. I haven't tried it, but it sounds reasonable.

Ted

I've found I prefer to oil just one side of the bread slices and toast them on a griddle until lightly browned. Then the topping goes on the toasted side so it doesn't saturate the bread, and the untoasted side prevents the slice from crumbling to pieces if it's too large to eat in a single bite. Oh, and a cut clove of garlic gets rubbed on the toasted side after they come off the griddle.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2014   #95
bower
Tomatovillian™

drew, your sweet pepper list sounds great. The bigger peppers are I think too late for us here, sadly. In the Italian fryers, Jimmy Nardello is a great producer and very tasty. I'd like to try some other early ones, like Melrose for example. Sigaretta di Bergamo looks really cool and I bet they just drip off the plant, I have an Italian pepperoncini very similar and highly productive.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2014   #96
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Yeah i want to try Jimmy Nardello too! Many of the peppers I have are just ripening now. They will make it, but just barely! I have a cold frame, so my results may not be typical for my location 5b/6a. I can get them out early. Well the salsa came out pretty good! Not bad! I still prefer fresh and not cooked, but being able to pull it out when needed is very nice. The mix of peppers worked well. I harvested about 130 pounds of tomatoes this year, and so preserving them is in order. I will make fresh batches too, while I can. I still have 30 pounds on the plants. i have a good month to go before first frost. I did top all plants though. My raspberries are coming in like crazy, it's been a good year.
Old September 12, 2014   #97
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew51 View Post

Donkey Ears AKA Slonovo Uvo - 90 days. About 6 inches long and 1.5 to 2
inches wide at the top, this looks like an Anaheim chili, but is never
hot. One of the best tasting sweet red peppers ever. Stuff with cheese,
use in salads or make a rich pepper sauce. (If you order any sweet pepper,
ask for my pepper sauce recipe. I serve it over chichen on a bed of rice.)
Tall plants are very productive. A seedsaver in Minnesoto found this
heirloom in Butan, Bulgaria. C.Annuum
Midium tall plant produces good yields of 18 cm long by 7 cm wide extra
sweet peppers.Great variety to make " Ajvar" pepper spread.New variety
from Serbia. Purchased from Skyfire garden Seeds

Drew - I have a few Donkey Ear plants with a good number of peppers on them which should be ready to pick soon. Would you consider sharing your sweet pepper sauce recipe and any other recipe you have for them? I've read that they also make a good pepper relish, but a pepper sauce sounds like a better option.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2014   #98
drew51
Tomatovillian™

The description is from the seller Skyfire Garden Seeds. I did get the recipe from him, although I had to ask a few times! It's different! It's in PDF form and I can't seem to copy it properly so if anybody wants the recipe PM me with your email address and I'll attach the PDF file.
Old September 12, 2014   #99
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenbar View Post
I had not heard of the heatless habaneros...I will try them. Aji Dulce and Trinidad Perfume were both excellent and I liked to stuff them with cream cheese! The "real" Habs are just too hot for me anymore...I want heat but I want to be able to taste the food and not spend the next 20 minutes wondering how on earth I can stop my mouth, lips and tongue from frying!
I once had a habanero survive a mild, wet winter in AZ. I usually lose them as they are far more cold sensitive than jalapeños and others.
Anyway, it put out tiny,tiny fruits that were sweet, and fruity with a carrot like flavor. I wish I could make a habanero like this but the low heat seasoning peppers that I've tried just don't have habanero flavor to me.
Maybe I need to grow some habaneros this winter in my little greenhouse!
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2014   #100
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenbar View Post
My Husbands LOVES habaneros and adds a few fresh ones to my salsa when he opens a jar. Too hot for me...He (and others) always say they have a "fruity" flavor but how in the heck can you tell when you mouth is fried???

We use the basic salsa from the jar and sometimes mix in fresh tomatoes, sweet peppers, etc. and that is better than most fresh salsa I have eaten at restaurants. Felices comiendo! (Happy eating!)
I love the fruity, floral flavor of habaneros. Just wish I could eat more of them. If they were a littler milder.
I once made " Habanero Gold" jelly with all habaneros, no sweet peppers. It came out fabulous and surprisingly not that hot!
Old September 12, 2014   #101
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Tedn- maybe they are grilled on a dry pan?
I have powdered lime that I purchased on Amazon. I mainly use it for roasted garbanzo beans with chipolte chile, cumin and lime. They're like a heathy version of lime chile corn nuts!
I tried fresh lime juice but it disappeared if I added before roasting and was soggy if added after.
Old September 14, 2014   #102
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

Drew I grew Corno di Toro Rosso Pepper - this year but mine was supposed to be yellow. So far it's still green! I have not had much luck growing peppers, I don't know why. I'm going to pm you for your sweet pepper sauce. And it might try the Sante Fe Grande peppers next year. The haberneros are too hot for me. I have to make brokenbars salsa! Sounds so yummy. I have a great recipe for tomato jam, sweet and spicy.
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14, 2014   #103
drew51
Tomatovillian™

I made the salsa and it came out pretty good! I just had some tonight! Santa Fe is a cool pepper, but it was late to ripen. Tough to grow some of these peppers. I have found some hot peppers that ripen quickly, but not any sweets yet. I'm just going to keep trying different ones till i find a few that work for me. One could always overwinter the plant and probably get a decent crop the 2nd year.
Old December 27, 2014   #104
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Wow I just found this thread and I gotta say Im a salsa fanatic. I eat it daily and salsa is why I started growing tomatoes. I will have to try your recipe brokenbar and compare it to mine. I normally just use whatever tomatoes I have and like to change the peppers up and try different combinations. Im the kinda person who can eat a habanero without much trouble so I normally have a few habs, cayenne, almas, and jalapenos in each jar and I swap new peppers in and out all the time. I also like to fire roast my peppers sometimes. Fire roasted jalapeno relish is awesome. Getting creative with it is half the fun and sometimes I get blown away by how good different combinations are.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2014   #105
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

Has anyone made salsa using the Victorio food mill? My typical way seems to be sooo much work - to peel them and then cut them and then have the drain for like a day? The peeling part is the worst coz it alway seems to be the hottest summer day when all the tommys are ripe and so the hot boiling water, with the hot burned fingers made me not want to make any this year unfortunately....
luigiwu is offline   Reply With Quote