Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old January 7, 2016   #91
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
I just checked the wire I used, and it's 14 guage. A lot of electrical work seems to be about patience, doing tedious little things like making sure a wire sets well on a screw.
Something I am very good at.
The young guys made fun of me because I was so slow when they first met me.
Then they came to respect the fact I didn't have to go back and redo stuff.

I was welcome on any job.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2016   #92
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

The best job-site electrician I every worked with had extreme OCD. I was a low-level assistant who had to drill the holes for wiring through each stud of the 2x4 walls in the house we were building. The guy was my friend's grandpa. He told me the place had to be neat before grandpa came, but I didn't get it. Grandpa came, and then left. There were wood chips on the floor from my drilling, and he refused to walk on wood chips. I had to vacuum everything to get him to come back. But then when he was done installing the service panel, his job looked like something done to take pictures for a Time Life book about wiring. Every wire bent at a perfect 90; everything was exactly perfect. He just couldn't do it with sawdust on the floor
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2016   #93
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I think I might be somewhat OCD I dont know how to explain it.
I count steps and other weird things like checking too many times to see if something is locked and coming unglued if something isn't cut to the precise measurement.
It is hard to get things done sometimes.
Worth
Old January 8, 2016   #94
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Cole and Worth:
There is a lot of merit in being precise and clean on any projects.You only get one chance to make the first impression.On all my projects as a Construction Superintendent/CPM all my jobsites were swept,cleaned at the end of the days work.All materials were stacked and out of the way for any trip,safety hazards(i.e.highrise groundouts).Wood shavings cause fires when accumulated in partition cell walls,if a spark(welding,electrical)occurs.Gone are the days when you had workmans guilds,unions,master trademens designations to pass on to the "go get the coffee" apprentices.Our motto was"safety ALWAYS!"
Old January 8, 2016   #95
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

My girlfriend from law school had ocd. I was not allowed to touch the tv remote or the car radio when we were driving. She was very strict about that,
Old January 8, 2016   #96
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
Cole and Worth:
There is a lot of merit in being precise and clean on any projects.You only get one chance to make the first impression.On all my projects as a Construction Superintendent/CPM all my jobsites were swept,cleaned at the end of the days work.All materials were stacked and out of the way for any trip,safety hazards(i.e.highrise groundouts).Wood shavings cause fires when accumulated in partition cell walls,if a spark(welding,electrical)occurs.Gone are the days when you had workmans guilds,unions,master trademens designations to pass on to the "go get the coffee" apprentices.Our motto was"safety ALWAYS!"
Thanks Kurt I wish it were like that now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
My girlfriend from law school had ocd. I was not allowed to touch the tv remote or the car radio when we were driving. She was very strict about that,
Cole I can agree with the radio thing a little bit.
I had a punk working with me several years ago that wouldn't leave the radio alone.
I asked him not to but he kept it up it was my work van and I was driving.
Finally I got a 18 inch piece of 16 gauge 19 conductor stripped the outer jacket off and made a whip.
The next time he started for the radio dial I slapped him across the hand with it.
That ended the radio fiddling.
Another punk kept spilling his spit can in and on my vans carpet.
One day I just started flipping my cigarette ashes on him like he was an ash tray.
He yelled at me and I said you use my van for a spit can you will be my ash trey.
The spilling stopped.
Worth
Old January 9, 2016   #97
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

wildcat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2016   #98
frankcar1965
Tomatovillian™

I'm thinking of experimenting with LED's like this one maybe, bad thing is it comes direct from china, good thing is you pay with paypal so you will get your money back if anything goes wrong, without a fight, and ebay is good to pay up too. I like paying with paypal. This one is 7500-10000 lumens, and there are much bigger ones too. I tired of fluorescent getting dim after a while and having to replace them, and having to use so many tubes. LED is the future. This is compact and efficient.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-100W-Led...262kFAycvpCxjg
frankcar1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2016   #99
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Everything I read about LEDs says that there are only a few manufacturers of the diodes that power the lights. Most light-assemblers will not tell you who made their diode, even though that is the best way to assess the quality of the light.

Here is a company that gets good reviews: http://www.a51led.net/ They are usually sold-out though...maybe that is an indication they are a good deal.
Old January 11, 2016   #100
frankcar1965
Tomatovillian™

probably the same as the ones I showed in the link. I hate to pay mark-up, virtually everything is made in China now. Here is a list of manufacturers:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catego..._manufacturers

Last edited by frankcar1965; January 11, 2016 at 11:33 AM.
frankcar1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2016   #101
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I have so much to say about LED lights but I dont know how to explain it but I will try.
The way they produce bright daylight LED's it to combine three different LED's in one package.
Red Green and Blue.
What makes LED grow lights different is they omit the green LED's that the plant doesn't need.
So if you want to get the LED that produces the right spectrum of light you need to get one that puts out from 5500K to 6500K.
You cant look at the LED and tell what color it is because sometime they color the lenses and sometimes they dont.
Well any who the way they are making these lights for human use is combining these different colored LED's.
I just turned every light off in the house stuck it up to a bright LED spot light got every color reflected off of it with a CD.

Worth

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...MHQhUAyzM4i2sQ
Old January 11, 2016   #102
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Here is a video explaining why people dont need to think about lumens.
These folks are based out of Austin and they are expensive but I am gleaning information out of them.
Worth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=U...&v=6IynERQMF1k
Old January 11, 2016   #103
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oB16...YJm_cajwZB3SZw
Old February 17, 2016   #104
sdambr
Tomatovillian™

Was wondering if you thought that these could possibly work in place of t8 daylight tubes. They had them at Costco for $25. Figured I should give them a try, Worth these do not put out anywhere near the amount of lug5ht yours did, but neither did my t8 tubes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg leds.jpg (75.0 KB, 90 views)

"There are only two ways to live your life: as though nothing is a miracle, or as though everything is a miracle."
Albert Einstein
sdambr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2016   #105
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

What are they T 5 tubes.
I would give them try and you can always change out the tubes to 40 watt 6500K or what ever they have.
Worth