Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old January 3, 2017   #91
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Default Part 2

As it is now..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2856.jpg (311.8 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2857.jpg (497.0 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2858.jpg (568.8 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2859.jpg (572.3 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2860.jpg (327.3 KB, 50 views)
murihikukid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2017   #92
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Default Part 3

Getting there....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2861.jpg (544.7 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2862.jpg (456.4 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2863.jpg (496.7 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2864.jpg (590.7 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2865.jpg (541.9 KB, 52 views)
Old January 3, 2017   #93
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Default Finally...

All from recycled Beds ..glass doors etc ...Still cost me plenty though...Problem is it does not look too bad and this makes the house worse than it is?? Cheers Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2866.jpg (410.5 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2867.jpg (498.9 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2868.jpg (425.1 KB, 51 views)
Old January 4, 2017   #94
imp
Tomatovillian™

Good, you have your greenhouse up and going. Please take all the non plants out, spread out your plants so air can and will circulate around and through each.

Good going on the greenhouse.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2017   #95
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Looks nice.
I doubt you could cut the glass anyway.
One good nick in some tempered glass and it shatters in little pieces like side and rear windows in cars.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2017   #96
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

[QUOTE=Worth1;608553]Looks nice.
I doubt you could cut the glass anyway.
One good nick in some tempered glass and it shatters in little pieces like side and rear windows in cars.

Worth[/QUOTE
Hi..I have been told that it will be marked on the glass if it is tempered ...But I am not willing to try it....I could put a small pot plant of lavender or something to attract the bee's up there ...Today was that cold and in the afternoon the rain felt like it was hail...there were terrible gusts of wind and it was too dangerous to get up the ladder so I have to wait for some nice weather to arrive ...As I understand the greenhouse has to be heated up so I have to basicly stop the cold air coming in by taping up gaps then using fans operated by a thermostart to keep a consistant temperature ...if the sun does come out it gets really hot in it......There is part of the Novalite roof roof to be put on and I hope I can do that from the ladder ..I really have to be careful doing it....I put part of the roof on up there crawling on boards and it really moved in the wind ..I could put a bed above the plants and watch them grow as I was rocked to sleep?......Later today I hope to get some "flashing" up so the rain runs off the roof properly ..these small jobs have to be finished as soon as possible or as weather permits...Than I can get everything out of it and spray it with a bleach or whatever to get rid of any diseases...(maybe Baking soda??)
I also need to get the doors sorted out...

Meantime I have got a reply back from the appropriate government department to my inquiry if i can get a litre or two of Daconil and Serenade from overseas to treat any Tomato Disease ...they are waiting for one of the top people to return from his Xmas holidays and will discuss it with him and let me know....As far as I know both are in the country but available in commercial quatities only but under a different name..

cheers Ron..
Old January 4, 2017   #97
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
Good, you have your greenhouse up and going. Please take all the non plants out, spread out your plants so air can and will circulate around and through each.

Good going on the greenhouse.
Thanks..yes everything has to come out and the whole greenhouse sprayed top to bottom...I wonder what I should use...everybody here uses Jeyes Fluid but its pretty expensive...and where do i put the plants ..I can only put a few inside ,,,...if I know its going to be a good day I could start as soon as it got light round 6.30am .and remove everything outside....then do the spraying and let it dry and hopefully by 8 to 9pm I can move all my plants back in..with no fear of getting drips on them......
Cheers Ron
Old January 4, 2017   #98
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Daconil is not regulated in the US, but for more serious chemicals, one must take a one-day course, pass a test, and of course pay a fee in order to get a "spray license."

I don't know if this link is helpful or not:
http://www.worksafe.govt.nz/worksafe...roved-handlers
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2017   #99
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by murihikukid View Post
Thanks..yes everything has to come out and the whole greenhouse sprayed top to bottom...I wonder what I should use...everybody here uses Jeyes Fluid but its pretty expensive...and where do i put the plants ..I can only put a few inside ,,,...if I know its going to be a good day I could start as soon as it got light round 6.30am .and remove everything outside....then do the spraying and let it dry and hopefully by 8 to 9pm I can move all my plants back in..with no fear of getting drips on them......
Cheers Ron

For now, spreading your plants out and apart from each other in the greenhouse will give better air circulation, if nothing else.

I clean just about everything with a 1 part bleach to 9 parts water as the cleaning mix- this kills most everything on contact, though it does not stop any re contamination, it stops anything, just about, that is currently there. All you would need do is shift the plants to one side, clean and spray the walls, etc. on the one side, then move them to the "clean " side and repeat. You do not have to spray it until it drips and puddles, if you do, mop it up.

You can be done as quick as you can move plants, spray and wait twenty or so minutes, move plants, spray or mop again, then another 20 or so minutes, spread out those plants again.

Bleach water, even at that light a strength, will not burn your plants unless they are in direct sunlight and wet with the solution.
Old January 5, 2017   #100
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

imp...I have been sitting out in the greenhouse protected from the cold ,the rain and the wind and I have come to this conclusion similar to your own views....The only way I can spray the greenhouse is to divide it in half...I can put drapes curtains whatever across the greenhouse at the half way point after shifting my plants to one end and then carefully spraying .At the required time the plants can be moved and the non sprayed end sprayed...even then I will have to wait for a non windy day especially to do the prevailing wind end.. ..THe concrete floor has already been thoroughly washed (not sprayed) with buckets of a Jeyes Fluid water solution and nothing would have survived that ,,,,Its the spider webs etc up above that worry me but nothing worries me more than losing my plants...and they have to be attended too...
At the same time I could rewash each polystyrene tray and capilary cloth so that everything is clean underneath the plants...
There is no summer here ...we had it months ago ...I recall telling Patti ( nearly every day) that the weather was unbelevable ..beautiful calm days with no winds and rain...the temperature was not high but certainly way above the normal for Winter and Spring and now we are paying bigtime ... Who says there is no such thing as climate change..?? Yesterday was windy with the odd rain shower but it was slightly warmer than today ...Sometimes the wind dies in the late evening through the night so putting lights out there and spraying then could also make sense...

Yes burnt plants??? My Baking Soda recipe (and I re-checked it) from a YouTube Video by Noreens Gardens certainly burnt the plants I sprayed with it....I cannot do anything but water them and just see if new growth appears ..I do see some signs this may be happening on a few.....However I do have some really nice looking healthy plants .too many probably...They are of course late and need the sun and warmth to get a growing spurt but things could be a lot worse...the weather has to change but when...
In the meantime I have to keep the warm air in my GH as best I can.....
Inside my front room my Tasty Tom transplanted May 11th is still producing tomatoes for the odd tomato sandwich ....quite incredible..although the fruit are small and probably not as tasty as a good Tasty Tom..

If I repeat things you will have to forgive me ...I do not know what is happening but my short term memory in particular is really bad ...I find it difficult to read for example posts and actually lock the info in them into my brain.....
Cheers Ron

Last edited by murihikukid; January 5, 2017 at 06:35 PM.
Old January 5, 2017   #101
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

Ron you are a rockstar! Pulling for you to have a harvest this season.
Cool greenhouse too by the way. I love repurposed stuff.
Hang in there man!
PureHarvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2017   #102
imp
Tomatovillian™

You don't have to soak the walls and ceiling surfaces, just a spray will do the trick to kill pathogens that are currently there on those surfaces. So, you won't need a drape, the odd squirt on the plants shouldn't hurt them a bit.

A couple bigger box fans or such will help not only with drying the greenhouse, but with air circulation and excess humidity in the greenhouse. Mulch your pots well to stop spores from floating about, since you have had such a disease load already.

As to your weather, can't help there.
Old January 6, 2017   #103
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Default Fans...

imp ,worth 1 and others....this is what I was thinking when I designed it?????? I could put a sucking fan and a blowing fan at each end to create a flow of air through the greenhouse ...We can get really hot days here.. usually followed by cold ones so I need to try and even out everything ...the heat is probably a greater danger than the cold... Thanks Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2869.jpg (373.6 KB, 24 views)
Old January 6, 2017   #104
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureHarvest View Post
Ron you are a rockstar! Pulling for you to have a harvest this season.
Cool greenhouse too by the way. I love repurposed stuff.
Hang in there man!
Hi..Thankyou very much ...your comment is very much appreciated,,,Glass doors are stronger and IMO much better than windows...Ideally doors of the same size would be best but I could not get these....I did miss out on 6 doors that I think went up for auction ..The seller bought them for a greenhouse but failed to build it...he only put one up for auction and I missed the fact in his description that he had six for sale ...Of course the buyer would have no doubt gone round and bought the whole six ( If i recall they were cheap) and thereby denying Trademe (the online auction site) of the selling fees for five glass doors...
If they were all the same size one could have them sliding and basicly open the whole greenhouse for weather or to water or pick all the tomatoes from the outside...a great idea.....

I note on my bike ride today that plastic tunnel houses are all being replaced by various other structures..these winds have happened every year since about 2011 at the same time and I presume insurance companies will now not insure tunnel houses...
Regards Ron
Old January 6, 2017   #105
imp
Tomatovillian™

I don't know about the fans being used in that space for both to bring in and push out air? In any case, I would use some fans lower down to help ensure pollination by it riffling through the plants and to help keep the plants drier with good air circulation.