Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old September 9, 2015   #1051
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Here is the pulled pork.
I let the pork cool and I cut across the grain in one inch slices because I don't like long stringy meat.
It is then put in the mixer because im lazy.
I put the above barbecue sauce recipe in it with just a shot of Jim Beam Black label and mix.
Worth
IMG_20150909_55961.jpg

IMG_20150909_12426.jpg

IMG_20150909_23610.jpg
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2015   #1052
TexasTycoon
Tomatovillian™

I have some strong opinions about pork butt and I prefer it with no sauce (also uncut but hand shredded, I feel if it's tender enough it can't be stringy), but that still does look mighty tasty and you wouldn't need to twist my arm to eat a sandwich of it.

Edit: no sauce mixed into the meat but I do put a dollop of Sweet Baby Ray's Honey Pecan BBQ sauce on my sandwiches

Last edited by TexasTycoon; September 9, 2015 at 04:26 PM. Reason: clarification
TexasTycoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2015   #1053
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTycoon View Post
I have some strong opinions about pork butt and I prefer it with no sauce (also uncut but hand shredded, I feel if it's tender enough it can't be stringy), but that still does look mighty tasty and you wouldn't need to twist my arm to eat a sandwich of it.

Edit: no sauce mixed into the meat but I do put a dollop of Sweet Baby Ray's Honey Pecan BBQ sauce on my sandwiches
Trust me it was tender enough it just goes against my grain to have long peaces of pork.
The sauce didn't kill the pork at all.
I know what you are talking about I never order pulled pork at BBQ places because it is always dried out left overs smothered in BBQ sauce.

Worth
Old September 9, 2015   #1054
TexasTycoon
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Trust me it was tender enough it just goes against my grain to have long peaces of pork.
The sauce didn't kill the pork at all.
I know what you are talking about I never order pulled pork at BBQ places because it is always dried out left overs smothered in BBQ sauce.

Worth
Well okay then, I forgive you.
TexasTycoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2015   #1055
Hellmanns
Tomatovillian™

When I kill hogs, I can the shoulders just for quick, delicious BBQ..

Hellmanns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2015   #1056
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

You make those knives?

Worth
Old September 10, 2015   #1057
Hellmanns
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
You make those knives?

Worth
No. They are vintage J.Russell Green River Works knives. They are the real deal. Made from high carbon crucible steel. They take and hold a razor edge that lasts and lasts.. No scrapped cars, washing machines, or soup cans in the steel like you would find in modern knives.

Last edited by Hellmanns; September 10, 2015 at 09:51 AM.
Old September 10, 2015   #1058
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

We need a like button... Hellmanns,that pork is fabulous looking and so are the knives!
Old September 10, 2015   #1059
Hellmanns
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
We need a like button... Hellmanns,that pork is fabulous looking and so are the knives!
Thanks. You can't buy real pork anymore- you have to grow it, or buy it on the hoof.. Everything from the grocery is fake tasting to me and my family these days due to the added preservatives and tenderizers.
Old September 10, 2015   #1060
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmanns View Post
Thanks. You can't buy real pork anymore- you have to grow it, or buy it on the hoof.. Everything from the grocery is fake tasting to me and my family these days due to the added preservatives and tenderizers.
not here, I guess. The only thing in any of the meat I buy is the saline solution in chicken and if it wasn't there I would brine it myself. We have meat markets and grocery stores that all carry fresh cut meat. not prepackaged unless you are shopping at wally world or maybe save a lot.
Old September 10, 2015   #1061
Hellmanns
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
not here, I guess. The only thing in any of the meat I buy is the saline solution in chicken and if it wasn't there I would brine it myself. We have meat markets and grocery stores that all carry fresh cut meat. not prepackaged unless you are shopping at wally world or maybe save a lot.
I bought a tray of fresh chops at Kroger not so long ago because they were on sale and very cheap. Once fried they were like processed meat..they had a mushy processed texture that didn't taste anything like real pork. I would compare the texture to a Vienna sausage! My brother had bought some too. The first words from his mouth at work was "I don't guess you can buy real pork anymore", I then said the chops from Kroger.. he nodded his head yes.
Old September 10, 2015   #1062
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmanns View Post
I bought a tray of fresh chops at Kroger not so long ago because they were on sale and very cheap. Once fried they were like processed meat..they had a mushy processed texture that didn't taste anything like real pork. I would compare the texture to a Vienna sausage! My brother had bought some too. The first words from his mouth at work was "I don't guess you can buy real pork anymore", I then said the chops from Kroger.. he nodded his head yes.
gross! We don't have a Krogers even anywhere within shopping distance anymore. The little grocery store down the road used top be one... I think, when I was a kid, but now it is a little IGA.
We have a meat market we do a farmers market at that has the nicest meat and just down the road is a small grocery store with a great meat case. I have never gotten questionable meat there. I feel for those who don't have access to good food. it makes people think that fast food and going out to eat is "top of the line" for nutrition. blech!
Old September 10, 2015   #1063
Hellmanns
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
gross! We don't have a Krogers even anywhere within shopping distance anymore. The little grocery store down the road used top be one... I think, when I was a kid, but now it is a little IGA.
We have a meat market we do a farmers market at that has the nicest meat and just down the road is a small grocery store with a great meat case. I have never gotten questionable meat there. I feel for those who don't have access to good food. it makes people think that fast food and going out to eat is "top of the line" for nutrition. blech!
I think were on the same page!
Old September 10, 2015   #1064
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

People would think something was wrong with their food if they started selling real food again.
I had a guy try a place that raised their own beef and he said it had an off taste to it.
My wife years ago had pork at my brothers house that they raised, she thought something was wrong with it.

Worth
Old September 10, 2015   #1065
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Hellmanns these folks aren't as good as they used to be but one heck of a lot better that what the average person is going to find.
You will find any kind of file you want and any kind of steel.
http://www.knifemaking.com/default.asp

Worth