Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 24, 2017   #1066
EPawlick
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
Will be over 70 F again today and sunny, but the dewpoint this morning is still 45 F! That west wind is blowing over something icy, you can tell! And it's alright, I needed a cooler.
No frost warning tonight for you I hope. Wasn't there one in NB the other day?
EPawlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2017   #1067
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPawlick View Post
No frost warning tonight for you I hope. Wasn't there one in NB the other day?
I didn't see that! No hint of a frost here since late June. Nights in the forecast are all 10 C or above. The temperature has gone up to 20 C now, but the dewpoint is still around 7 C or 45 F. I wonder what the tomatoes will think of it..does dewpoint matter. I just put a couple more plants outside this morning, but they're in the wood stacker so there's a bit of actual roof above em... so better protected! I should pull the drapes over my beans though.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2017   #1068
EPawlick
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I didn't see that! No hint of a frost here since late June. Nights in the forecast are all 10 C or above. The temperature has gone up to 20 C now, but the dewpoint is still around 7 C or 45 F. I wonder what the tomatoes will think of it..does dewpoint matter. I just put a couple more plants outside this morning, but they're in the wood stacker so there's a bit of actual roof above em... so better protected! I should pull the drapes over my beans though.
Tomorrow night they are calling for 17 C /54 F here in southern Ontario.

I read that tomatoes don't set under 55 F so I'm glad I already have a lot of tomatoes set.
EPawlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2017   #1069
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Heat index was 110 last Saturday at market. Next Saturday's high temperature is forecast to be 82. A cool breeze is on the way.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2017   #1070
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

The third of an inch of rain they were predicting for today turned into one and one third, and counting, and the temp has dropped down to 58 this afternoon.

I've had the windows open all day, giving the house a good airing out after days of running the AC. If I don't close the place up soon, we're going to have to put the heat on!
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2017   #1071
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPawlick View Post
Tomorrow night they are calling for 17 C /54 F here in southern Ontario.

I read that tomatoes don't set under 55 F so I'm glad I already have a lot of tomatoes set.
17C is cool for you folks! But that's still over 60 F so it's fine for many tomatoes - not all of them, some won't set unless it's over 70 F, but all the tomatoes I grow here are willing and able to set at 60 and up. Night temperatures down to 50 F = 10 C are okay for tomatoes too. Although they do like those 60 F nights (15 C!) .
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2017   #1072
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

This is odd. Radio weather last night was calling for a high of 101°F today. But it peaked a little over 90°F, though humidity is up at 65%. Forecast is rarely off this far.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2017   #1073
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

That's it boys break out the chainsaws we're cutting down more trees.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2017   #1074
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

A lot of the talk/typing here has been about how hot it is. I want share some things that some of us might have forgotten about - or never thought of. When it is 90F+ or high temperatures one way or another outside, our air conditioning units are working hard to cool it off inside. Some have no air conditioning, and for those, it can be hotter inside your house than outside. And those who are rich enough not to care. One way or other, cooking inside heats the air causing the air conditioning to work harder which costs more on the electric bill, and it's hotter in your home.

Cooking outside your home can be a possibility. Inside my home is a propane gas cook stove, but I also own a couple of electric hotplates, two electric slow cookers, and an electric oven. The electric cookers can be used outside. You only need to have 12-2 ran to a plug and a 20 amp breaker. Worth is probably saying that's too much at me

There are also propane grills. Everything does not need to taste like smoke. Use them as a normal cook surface.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2017   #1075
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
A lot of the talk/typing here has been about how hot it is. I want share some things that some of us might have forgotten about - or never thought of. When it is 90F+ or high temperatures one way or another outside, our air conditioning units are working hard to cool it off inside. Some have no air conditioning, and for those, it can be hotter inside your house than outside. And those who are rich enough not to care. One way or other, cooking inside heats the air causing the air conditioning to work harder which costs more on the electric bill, and it's hotter in your home.

Cooking outside your home can be a possibility. Inside my home is a propane gas cook stove, but I also own a couple of electric hotplates, two electric slow cookers, and an electric oven. The electric cookers can be used outside. You only need to have 12-2 ran to a plug and a 20 amp breaker. Worth is probably saying that's too much at me

There are also propane grills. Everything does not need to taste like smoke. Use them as a normal cook surface.
Not really, I dont run anything other than 12-2 and 20 amp.
Just like I will not run any underground pipe less than one inch for irrigation.
Why back yourself into a corner by under sizing to save a wee bit of money?
As for the breaker the reason I said not 30 amp for 12 gauge in the other thread is because the wire might burn up before the breaker trips.

My neighbor even questioned why I ran 12 in the garage because he is cheap and for the most part, 'bless his heart, not very intelligent.
He even questioned why I put the outlets so high.
So I dont have to stand on my head to plug stuff in and they will be above my work benches.
As far as I am concerned there is no place for 14 gauge wire in my house.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2017   #1076
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

I can afford to run my AC and stay comfortable but I try not to waste it. I cook outside on my gas grill as much as possible and I NEVER use my oven during the summer. It seems so wasteful.

For me oven cooking is a winter activity when it adds warmth to a cool house and seems cozy.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2017   #1077
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownrexx View Post
I can afford to run my AC and stay comfortable but I try not to waste it. I cook outside on my gas grill as much as possible and I NEVER use my oven during the summer. It seems so wasteful.

For me oven cooking is a winter activity when it adds warmth to a cool house and seems cozy.

I was the same, until we replaced our range a couple of months ago. We've always bought the cheapest gas range we could find whenever our current one was no longer working. They did a great job of heating up the house when we used the oven so we avoided using it during hot weather.

This time around we were in a position where we could spend a little bit extra, did a lot of research, and bought a mid-range slide-in counter depth model.

One thing we realized after living with it for the first month is that it's much better insulated than the cheaper ones we've had in the past. You can crank it up to 450F, stand right in front of it, and you can't even tell the oven is on! As long as we minimize the amount of time we keep the oven door open, the kitchen stays very comfortable. Summer is often when I have more time to bake, so I love being able to again!
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2017   #1078
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
17C is cool for you folks! But that's still over 60 F so it's fine for many tomatoes - not all of them, some won't set unless it's over 70 F, but all the tomatoes I grow here are willing and able to set at 60 and up. Night temperatures down to 50 F = 10 C are okay for tomatoes too. Although they do like those 60 F nights (15 C!) .
Still trying to wrap my head around tomato growing in Newfoundland.

Another perfect day ahead, here in TrinityEast NL. 62 now. High will be 65. Wind
2-5 mph all day. (good thing I washed the heavy down comforters yesterday).Wind was wicked.

Night low has been 50. Greenhouse is probably the only way. At least what all my
neighbors have always done. We keep indoors around 75 with the wood cookstove.
Easy to keep a low fire, then open a couple windows when cooking.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2017   #1079
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

We keep our house a constant 73-74 year round. Our house is small (1350 sq ft) and is total electric. We had to replace the heat/air unit a month after we bought the house and we spent extra and got a higher efficiency rated and unit. Our level pay is only $110 a month. Money well spent. Using the oven seems to make little difference. The added cost was money well spent IMO.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2017   #1080
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
We keep our house a constant 73-74 year round. Our house is small (1350 sq ft) and is total electric. We had to replace the heat/air unit a month after we bought the house and we spent extra and got a higher efficiency rated and unit. Our level pay is only $110 a month. Money well spent. Using the oven seems to make little difference. The added cost was money well spent IMO.
Very similar to you. We keep it at 75 degrees, except in winter, then I let it drop to 68 degrees. Keep A/C on all the time unless heat is on. House is 184 sq ft and pretty well insulated. Have a new A/C put in month before we bought it. Had new roof put on as agreement to purchase and have a ridge vent on the roof. It does very well but our monthly costs are about $150, we are on the coast as you know so extreme high humidity plays a huge part in our monthly bill. I wouldn't change a thing, I want comfort not to be sweating while indoors.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote