Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 8, 2016   #1066
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

After finding all the snow cucumbers having pickle worm holes, I covered all my cuke plants and blueberry plant (for birds taking the blueberries). Blueberries are size of a dime.

First is Sweet Success, 2nd is Snow, 3rd is Beta Alpha.

-----
I found that cucumbers should be able to grow in the heat but pickle worms take them out. I have new Beta Alpha seedlings almost ready to replace the existing Beta Alpha cukes which has been highly productive.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sweet Success veiled (300x400).jpg (52.3 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg Snow veiled (400x300).jpg (50.6 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg Beta Alpha Veiled (300x400).jpg (49.8 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg Blueberries veiled (400x300).jpg (54.9 KB, 82 views)
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2016   #1067
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Barb, do you see any bugs? I dont, but when I expand the pictures of blossoms it goes blurry.
I resized that picture; I can get it back from the deleted folder if that helps. Here is one from a different plant that is not resized.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00751.jpg (383.4 KB, 85 views)
Old May 8, 2016   #1068
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Barb, I don't see suck bugs or aphids, but I see an entirely covered plant and blossoms with tiny white speckled stuff. What is it?
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2016   #1069
JaxRmrJmr
Tomatovillian™

I ate my first Brandywine pink tomato yesterday. I know it is my first heirloom tomato that I have had since I have been an adult (I'm 41). Tasted really good. The texture was one of the best aspects - it wasn't milly or mushy or grainy. There was one slice that was a little more twang, but I'm impressed. My step dad finished off half of it while I wasn't looking.

Today another Brandywine blushed and my first Cherokee Purple is getting some color.
JaxRmrJmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2016   #1070
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

[QUOTE=Fiishergurl;558178]Larry,
That is awesome! Are you growinh some of those in raised beds? I cant remember.
Ginny

I have a mix of containers (pots) and raised beds for tomatoes. I only have space for
20 vining tomato plants in raised beds. Also, I have approximately 50 containers. The majority of the pots are 10 gallon, some 6 gallon a very few 3 gallon. I grow quite a few tomatoes in the pots but with very few exceptions they tend to be small and most plants are not far from the end of season at this time. Bush Champion II is a variety that will grow sizable tomatoes in a 6 gallon pot for me but almost no others.
When I grow a variety in both a raised bed and a 10 gallon pots, such as I have this season with First Prize and 4th of July, the plants in the RBs produce much larger tomatoes, more of them and when the plants in the pots are finished the ones in the RBs still have many more tomatoes to produce. Thanks
Larry
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2016   #1071
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Marsha - I looked today, and it is just shiny. There really isn't any white stuff.

Larry - Please let me know what you are doing freezing the tomatoes. Whole? I didn't realize that you grew so many.

What tomatoes do you grow/recommend that are TYLCV tolerant?

Jax - Good for you growing Brandywine Beefstakes. I really tried, but only got nice bushes with no fruit. Gave up several years ago.
Old May 9, 2016   #1072
JaxRmrJmr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
Marsha - I looked today, and it is just shiny. There really isn't any white stuff.

Larry - Please let me know what you are doing freezing the tomatoes. Whole? I didn't realize that you grew so many.

What tomatoes do you grow/recommend that are TYLCV tolerant?

Jax - Good for you growing Brandywine Beefstakes. I really tried, but only got nice bushes with no fruit. Gave up several years ago.
The fruit is small (unless it was fused) and sparse. I'm thinking of trying Brandywine OTV. Do you have any experience with this?

The first fruit was 6.2 oz.
JaxRmrJmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2016   #1073
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Ginny - it is a beautiful tomato.

Larry - I'm growing 4th of July also; I agree a work horse and great hanging time. I give most/all of them away. What are you doing with your pints? Are they frozen whole?
Barb,
I don't have enough freezer space to freeze tomatoes whole. I cut them up and cook them, cool them off, extract as much liquid (for tomato juice) as possible put the remainder in pint zip lock freezer bags and place them in the freezer. I think I have 36 pints now and I will probably do 6 more tomorrow. My Champion II indeterminate, Bush Champion II, First Prize, Jetsetter, Granadero and 4th of July plants have a whole lot of tomatoes to go. I will undoubtedly have more tomatoes than I have freezer space for.
Best of luck,
Larry
Old May 9, 2016   #1074
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone9b View Post
Barb,
I don't have enough freezer space to freeze tomatoes whole. I cut them up and cook them, cool them off, extract as much liquid (for tomato juice) as possible put the remainder in pint zip lock freezer bags and place them in the freezer. I think I have 36 pints now and I will probably do 6 more tomorrow. My Champion II indeterminate, Bush Champion II, First Prize, Jetsetter, Granadero and 4th of July plants have a whole lot of tomatoes to go. I will undoubtedly have more tomatoes than I have freezer space for.
Best of luck,
Larry
Thanks Larry - what do you the frozen tomatoes for?
Old May 10, 2016   #1075
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Thanks Larry - what do you the frozen tomatoes for?
Barb,
Well, I'm a bit of a health nut which helps explain how I grow and eat tomatoes. Also, I'm a cheap health nut which also adds to the explanation. I start my day with an 1 1/2 to 2 hours in the gym doing weights and cardio. If I leave the gym dragging I figure I did good. and when I 'm done I get on my horse (motorcycle) and let it take me home.. As I have said before I don't use any fungicides or pesticides (remember cheap health nut). I eat lots of veggies. I often eat broccoli and or green beans combined with chicken breast all cooked in the same pan. I cook in water often adding some extra virgin olive oil. The tomatoes sometimes are added in or on the side with some olive oil, cayenne pepper and oregano. When I run out of chicken I use egg whites. Oh, and I add in bell peppers when I have them and I have them now because this is my best pepper season ever. New varieties did the trick. I froze 8 pints of bell peppers yesterday. I eat this almost every day and I enjoy it.
Larry

Last edited by Zone9b; May 10, 2016 at 12:41 PM.
Old May 10, 2016   #1076
Windi17
Tomatovillian™

I am completely new at this, in Zone 9a or 9b depending on the map you look at, and have just four tomato plants growing in my garden. Two are cherry tomatoes, one a cherry/yellow pear and the other a stripey heirloom. I got these at Home Depot about 3 weeks ago. To be honest, though, I think I started too late after reading your posts about your yields. I have to admit I know nothing about growing season and bought these on a whim. I don't know how well things will work this season, but I plan on being much better prepared for the next one. I think I will try Tomande, First Prize and Fourth of July some of you have mentioned on this thread.

My questions:
How much longer should I expect the season to last for Zone 9a/9b?
When does fall growing season start here?
Would you be able to direct me to a thread or other source of information for tomato growing seasons in this zone? I'd like to know when/how to start, by when flowers should set, by when fruit should start growing, etc, so I can be prepared for next season.
What do you do with your tomato beds in between seasons?
Are there any other tomato varieties you recommend to grow in Zone 9a/9b? Do you grow different varieties in the fall than in the spring?
I have read a lot of mixed opinions about mulch - from using fully processed compost to natural wood chips to newspaper. What do you recommend?

Sorry for all the questions, but I do appreciate the help.
Windi17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2016   #1077
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Larry,

That is so awesome! My husband was so sick last year and we totally changed our lifestyle to clean eating, healthy fats (avocado etc) and organic produce and meats plus walking daily and lots of water with fresh lemon. We both saw a change almost immediately and feel better than we have in years.

Kudoes to you! I also dont spray pesticides or fungicides anymore.

Ginny
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2016   #1078
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

I started this two years ago. If you cut tomatoes in about 1 inch size chunks and add peppers and onions cut in 1/2 inch pieces, than cook it down, removing some juice (great testing too). Mmm... so good. It can be frozen or poorer hot into glass containers and stored in refrigerator. I add that chunky sous to soups, sautéing vegies, meatballs. It can be served hot as a tomato soup too.
I usually have 3-5 pounds of tomatoes, 1-2 large onions and 1-2 peppers. I do not cook it too long, about 40 minutes. glad to hear that other people do the same, with their own twist.
Larry, I love sautéed veggies with hot Italian sausage and tomatoes. I boil sausages to remove fat before adding to veggies.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2016   #1079
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
I started this two years ago. If you cut tomatoes in about 1 inch size chunks and add peppers and onions cut in 1/2 inch pieces, than cook it down, removing some juice (great testing too). Mmm... so good. It can be frozen or poorer hot into glass containers and stored in refrigerator. I add that chunky sous to soups, sautéing vegies, meatballs. It can be served hot as a tomato soup too.
I usually have 3-5 pounds of tomatoes, 1-2 large onions and 1-2 peppers. I do not cook it too long, about 40 minutes. glad to hear that other people do the same, with their own twist.
Larry, I love sautéed veggies with hot Italian sausage and tomatoes. I boil sausages to remove fat before adding to veggies.
This sounds good. For long term, I've just been making sauce.

I made salsa last night from a recipe on the web. It turned out good but I don't know a way to store it for any length of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778
Barb_ you made me laugh, and you give me far too much credit. If it can happen in my garden, it will!!!

I think we should have a few listings from all of us as to what had the most fruit set along with excellent taste this season.
Iraqi heart med large sweet pink meaty hearts with wispy foliage. Kept cranking them out.
Dana's Dusky Rose- seeds were from Dana herself. I know I got around 25 medium 6-8 oz sweet luscious fruit. For me that is a lot.
Bear Creek- after it cooled down this plant went into high gear. I had one truss with 8 fruit, opne with 6 and 4 with 3-4 fruit all at the same time. Most every blossom set fruit.
Cherokee Lime- very productive, and my favorite GWR, in my garden last 3 years, coming back in August. So doggone sweet.
Little Lucky- 3rd year in a row, about 20-25 4-5 oz fruit total.
Wild Thyme pink- outstanding production and flavor.
Rebel Yell, surprisingly, was kind of a dud this year.
YOU ARE THAT GOOD!!!!! Was working on my list of everything I grew, turned into comments about all the varieties. Some I haven't even tasted yet. Now I'm grateful for the late ones like NAV, Dwarf Orange Swirl.

Last night low temp was 75, after more than a week of 57-64.
Old May 11, 2016   #1080
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiishergurl View Post
Larry,
That is so awesome! My husband was so sick last year and we totally changed our lifestyle to clean eating, healthy fats (avocado etc) and organic produce and meats plus walking daily and lots of water with fresh lemon. We both saw a change almost immediately and feel better than we have in years.
Kudoes to you! I also dont spray pesticides or fungicides anymore.
Ginny
Ginny,
I'm happy for you and your husband's success.
All the best,
Larry