Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old January 21, 2012   #106
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

i am amazed at the volume of animals and plants they tend to! their 2011 year in review sounds like it was a pretty trying year to say the least.

i decided to buy some tomato seeds to support them - aunt ginny's purple, earl of edgecombe (is it possible an orange tomato can taste good? i'll try one more time.) and brandywine sudduth (always wanted to try this strain, i grew brandywine back in 1998 and got almost no fruits and was not impressed with the taste but i have no idea what version they were).

i added a new variety of broccoli and lettuce to try as well.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2012   #107
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

TJG,

Sandhill has some wonderful varieties. I grow the black seeded peanuts for them. They are a variety that I got from an older gardener in Rainsville Alabama about 10 years ago. I also produce corn, popcorn, pepper, cowpeas, garden peas, beans, watermelons, and other veggies that wind up in their catalog. Yet my contribution of 20 or 30 varieties is nothing compared to the hundreds of varieties they maintain.

DarJones
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2012   #108
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

DarJones,

That is one of the seeds I am trying this year. The black peanut. I got 3 of their varieties of cowpeas (white whippoorwill, red ripper and black crowder) from them... plus I already have a brown eyed and black eyed from the Caribbean. Cowpeas are my favorite legume plus they are disease free in MA and excellent cover crop. I am after a mottled black and white called Tohono O'odham "U'us mu:n" and a spotted one called Mayo Colima Pinto.

Sandhill does not have it yet so I might have to source it elsewhere...Native seed search is the only place that carries it so far but I don't want to pay for S&H for a small order.
Old January 21, 2012   #109
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Wendy, I had an excellent crop and sent Glenn about 14 gallons of black peanuts in 2011. That is about twice as much as he normally gets. The big advantage they have is that they mature 2 or 3 weeks earlier than most other peanuts. They have been successfully grown as far north as New Hampshire. Production is not as good as further south, but the crown set of peanuts will mature.

A few years ago I had a good crop and offered to send Glenn 4 gallons so he could list them for the first time. He didn't think they would do much and I think he just took them to humor me. Turned out that they were a breakaway best seller with nearly half the seed orders that year requesting black peanuts. Since then we have gone from small crops to sometimes decent crops depending on my weather and how much time I could put into growing them. 2011 turned out to be a very good year for them. It was hot and dry with just enough rain to keep them going and then fall weather was warm and favorable.

DarJones
Old January 27, 2012   #110
jennifer28
Two-faced Drama Queen

I got my order from SandHill today. I am really happy! I was worried it was delievered somewhere else, because our mailman refuses to wear his glasses and everyone always gets everyone else's mail because of this. This is how I first met most of my neighbors when I first moved here. Now we are used to it. I was able to get the Campbell 146 from them and also Imur Prior Beta. I have not tried either of these, but I have read here that the Campbell 146 tastes the best of all the Campbell's.
jennifer28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2012   #111
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

very pleased to find that they carry PAPAGO cowpea this year, that is the same black/white mottled pea I was looking for.
Old February 13, 2012   #112
Sandlapper Spike
Tomatovillian™

How long is it taking for everyone to receive their orders this year? I sent mine in a little over two weeks ago.
Sandlapper Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2012   #113
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

It is averaging 3 weeks from order mailed to order received. Please be patient, they explain on the website that this is not a super fast process.

DarJones
Old February 13, 2012   #114
walkinggin
Tomatovillian™

I received my order late last week, 20 days after I posted my order form. I always note such things on my calendar, so I noticed it has taken exactly 20 days in each of the last 4 years. Considering the size of the operation and the amazing work they do I am very pleased with the turn around time and the predictability!

ginny
walkinggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2012   #115
walkinggin
Tomatovillian™

Or what DarJones said
walkinggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2012   #116
Tom C zone 4/5
Tomatovillian™

For 2012 the turn around from catalog in my PO Box to picking up returned (filled without omissions) order was 14 days.
Old February 13, 2012   #117
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjg911 View Post
i am amazed at the volume of animals and plants they tend to! their 2011 year in review sounds like it was a pretty trying year to say the least.

i decided to buy some tomato seeds to support them - aunt ginny's purple, earl of edgecombe (is it possible an orange tomato can taste good? i'll try one more time.) and brandywine sudduth (always wanted to try this strain, i grew brandywine back in 1998 and got almost no fruits and was not impressed with the taste but i have no idea what version they were).

i added a new variety of broccoli and lettuce to try as well.

tom
Tom, what orange tomatoes have your tried? I kinda thinking the same as you,
but I've only tried 2 varieties. Kellogg's Breakfast and KBX. I was not to crazy
about them. I'm thinking I need to try KBX again, since so many love it. Hopefully
in a season with not to much rain.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2012   #118
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Darrel,

Here, the local black squirrels thank you for the black peanuts.

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2012   #119
tnpeppers
Tomatovillian™

It took my order exactly three weeks to arrive from the day I dropped my order in the mail...I was very pleased with their service.
tnpeppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2012   #120
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper2008 View Post
Tom, what orange tomatoes have your tried? I kinda thinking the same as you,
but I've only tried 2 varieties. Kellogg's Breakfast and KBX. I was not to crazy
about them. I'm thinking I need to try KBX again, since so many love it. Hopefully
in a season with not to much rain.
kellogg's breakfast, beautiful huge bright orange tomatoes with intense green leaves and very dense foliage, w/o a doubt the prettiest tomato plant with mature fruit i have seen but i did not think the flavor was all that good. i like assertive flavor, any tomato that has mild in the description is never going to be grown by me.

angora orange, well it was just a waste of space.

sun gold which is tangerine orange not gold in color, i think the gold describes the value of the fruits. outstanding, best in this color, best cherry and a top favorite right up there with reds, pinks, blacks and the great golds.

that's it for orange tomatoes, i checked my list and i thought there'd be more than 3.

my favorites are red, pink, black and gold.

i have grown red, pink, black, purple, gold, yellow, green and orange.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote