Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old May 15, 2007   #106
duajones
Tomatovillian™

My first Lemon cukes, first time growing
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lemcuke051307.jpg (77.1 KB, 19 views)
duajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2007   #107
biermaster
Tomatovillian™

Default Cucumbers, What are you growing

Great pictures and information. I see some that I may have to try. I remember reading some where about pruning cucumbers to increase production. I have searched here and googled other sites and find that it is done in green houses but nothing on doing so in home gardens. Do any of you prune? Thanks in advance for your assisstance and information.
Old May 16, 2007   #108
Miss_Mudcat
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelleybean View Post
Miss Mudcat,

If you happen to come back to this thread and see this, along with bluelacedredhead, I want to hear more about White Wonder. Thanks!
Hi Shelley! I've been so busy in the garden! It's raining today, so I've got time to catch up.

I was very pleased with white wonder, and I will be growing it again this season. It's a small, pickling cuke with a slight greenish tint. I found them to be very crisp and tasty, but I've never met a cucumber that I didn't like... except those monsters in the grocery stores!

Lisa
Old May 16, 2007   #109
Miss_Mudcat
Tomatovillian™

I also want to add that I have grown cukes both trellised and on the ground. I find that yield is much higher, pollination is better and therefore fruit is straighter when grown on the ground. I know that is not possible for some who do not have the space, but I wouldn't trellis unless I had to.

Lisa
Old May 16, 2007   #110
Miss_Mudcat
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluelacedredhead View Post
Mudcat, Tell me more about White Wonder Pleez.......
Sorry bluelace - I just saw your post today. I ordered seeds from www.heirloomseeds.com. Here is their blurb:

#505 - WHITE WONDER (Cucumis sativus) 60 days - This old time variety that dates back to 1893, matures to a lovely ivory white color, making them easier to find at harvest time! The round ended, 7 inch fruit has crisp, delicious, white flesh.
PKT. - 60 seeds - $1.25
Old May 16, 2007   #111
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Todays harvest, boothbys blonde is pumping them out.
Old May 16, 2007   #112
bbjm
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing Bothby's Blonde, but have a long way to go before I eat the first one. Stange color. They look like a cuke thats been left in the garden for way too long. Do they start out that color or turn? How do you know when they are ready to eat??
bbjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2007   #113
duajones
Tomatovillian™

they look almost white and start to yellow at stem end. I pulled the first couple fairly small hoping to stimulate the plant into producing. I have harvested one that had changed to yellow completely and it was rather seedy. some may even pick them before they start to turn yellow. I would pick them at various stages and see what you like best
Old May 21, 2007   #114
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

Planted mine yesterday ! Lets go cukes & zukes !

~ Tom
Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2007   #115
FlipTX
Tomatovillian™

I have a cool fruit on my Cool Breeze plant that's actually four fused together. All four are growing out of one stem, with three of them fused all along their lengths, and one of them sticking out a bit like a thumb. The whole thing looks like it's hitchhiking.
FlipTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2007   #116
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Duane, I can only dream of pictures like that. I am not sure why my cucumbers have come to a screeching halt. They are now resuming production after basically taking a 2 week vacation.

Of course hand pollination is necessary since there are no bees and there's only so much Little Black Ants can do. I have 9 females on my Straight Eight and no males.

I thought 3 plants would be plenty for me, but it's not. So I bought a 9 pack at Home Depot. Now I'll probably be buried in cucumbers.
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2007   #117
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I planted Boothby's Blonde and Snow's Sunday. Only the Snows are up. I hope they do as well as they did last year. I'm glad to see the BB doing so well in Texas. I was wondering how it would handle heat. Enjoy, all!
Old May 24, 2007   #118
duajones
Tomatovillian™

BB has given me 28 fruit so far with at least 15 more that i counted on the plants today. 6 plants total growing in the ground. Diva has given me 43 so far and while it has slowed down, its still producing. 5 plants in the ground.
Poona Kheera gave me 20 off of 4 plants grown in a container before it succumbed to disease. Lemon is also 4 plants and has given me 18 fruit and is loaded with more. Its a bit more work to peel and such so i may not grow it again.
Old May 24, 2007   #119
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Cucumber beetles are wiping out my cuke plants. Any suggestions on how to kill them get rid of them? I don't care what it is as long as it doesn't kill me before they get ripe. :-)
Old May 24, 2007   #120
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl View Post
Cucumber beetles are wiping out my cuke plants. Any suggestions on how to kill them get rid of them? I don't care what it is as long as it doesn't kill me before they get ripe. :-)
Earl, I thought you were going to try the Surround (kaolin clay)

I'm using it this year, and so far, so good. But it has to be reapplied after every rain.

Sevin dust (carbaryl) will kill them. Just remember there's a withholding period of at least a couple of days after application before you can harvest. Off the top of my head, I don't know what it is for cucurbits (read the label).

Also, Anney made the following suggestion over at GW in the Tomato P&D forum:
Quote:
Cucumber beetles Last year, I found that clove oil or tayuya powder mixed with Sevin and placed in cups on my melon trellis will do cucumber beetles in. They're wildly attracted to tayuya (a ground up root) or clove oil and will eat, drink, or drown in the thick soup in the cup (about an inch deep) that's been poisoned with Sevin. It's a good organic/chemical way to control them without spraying your plants.
Might be worth a try.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote