Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old August 10, 2015   #106
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Does self blanching celery really self blanch?

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2015   #107
GardeningCook
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootgardener View Post
When I first planted the seedlings in their deep raised bed I spaced them about a foot apart, and I mounded soil around each stalk as they grew, but I stopped blanching mid way as the plants grew and the stalks and leaves were large enough to help shade each other. I was also busy and it was so hot I did not worry about blanching later on. I did frequently take off some outer stalks to taste and use in my cooking and the stalks tasted crisp and sweet. So, so far so good.

Ginny
That's good to know, as I understand that "Tall Utah" isn't a self-blanching variety & I've heard/read that it can be bitter if not blanched while growing. I'm actually interested in trying "Redventure" red celery next year in containers.
Old August 10, 2015   #108
akgardengirl
Tomatovillian™

Lovely photos. All the veggies look nice and healthy and the food dishes are mouth watering. I might try my hand growing green beans next year.
Sue
akgardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2015   #109
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Here is another shot of Tall Utah Celery next to a five gallon bucket. Hopefully this picture will load for me..

Ginny

barefootgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2015   #110
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Does self blanching celery really self blanch?

Worth
Worth, I have no idea. I have only grown Tall Utah. Maybe someone else can chime in.

GardeningCook, I will have to look up Redventure. Sounds intriguing ..

Thank you wildcat!

Sue, I love the fillet beans. They are so tender when lightly steamed. Real yummy! Give it a shot..

Ginny

Last edited by barefootgardener; August 10, 2015 at 10:11 PM.
Old August 10, 2015   #111
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

I planted McGregors Favorite and Crapaudine Beetroot. I had to replant twice since germination was poor. The roots do not look like the description or pictures in the catalogue for Crapaudine..Interesting. Not sure if I had a seed mixup.. The leaves are pretty and tasty, very good though.

Last edited by barefootgardener; August 10, 2015 at 10:08 PM.
Old August 11, 2015   #112
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Hummingbird on my Insuk's Wang Kong runner bean.. I snapped this picture early Saturday morning..

Ginny

Old August 11, 2015   #113
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Heirloom Tomatoes from Left: Back, Black Krim, Daniels. Back middle: Carol Chyko Big Paste. Right: Bear Claw and Tree Bottom Yellow. Daniels weighed in at #19.07 ounces. Bear Claw 17 ounces.

Ginny

Old August 11, 2015   #114
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Bear Claw tomato slices.. Weighed in at 17 ounces. What a wonderful tasting tomato. It has a true, rich intense tomato flavor..Meaty and juicy. WOW! No salt needed.. It is at the top of my grow list for next season. Loved it!!

Old August 11, 2015   #115
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Daniel tomato slices.. Weighed in at 19,07 ounces. This was a very large tomato. and I was really excited to taste it as I heard good reviews on it..I picked it after it was starting to blush and left it in my GH to fully ripen. I was disappointed in the flavor. It was bland compared to Bear Claw. It lacked any flavor. Of course I tasted it after I bit into a Bear Claw, which was fantastic..I have more on the vine that are starting to blush. Hopefully the flavor will get better with those. I will let it ripen a bit more also to see if the flavor improves.

Old August 19, 2015   #116
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

I have been having a problem with birds pecking at my tomatoes as they are ripening. I think they want to fill up before winter arrives. We have also been having a heat wave, along with a lot of rain this week. So, I decided to pick a lot of my biggest and best maters and store them in my GH to finish ripening.. I still left some to hang on the vines and crawl on the ground.. Here is my haul over the last couple days.. A mix of heirlooms: Tiffen Mennonite, Brandywine, Purple Dog Creek, Red Barn, Dester, Aunt Ruby's German Green, Barlow Jap, Bear Claw, Rebel Yell, Tree Bottom Yellow. Marmande Garnier Rouge, Winsall, Carol Chyko, Kelloggs Breakfast, German Johnson Potato Leaf, CDT, Margaret Curtain, Alices Egypt, Kentucky Cabin, Greenbush Italian, Morado Vejer and others.

Ginny

Last edited by barefootgardener; August 19, 2015 at 03:22 PM.
Old August 19, 2015   #117
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Old August 19, 2015   #118
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Old August 19, 2015   #119
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

My Fortex beans have been growing like gangbusters on the trellis, so I picked a few, along with some newly dug, fresh Purple Viking and German Butterball potatoes. Sautee some garlic and bacon and you have a great meal. I will be planting more potatoes next season as I felt bad stealing from the plants seeing how I want most for storage.. But, after eating this wonderful dish, I confess to sneaking a few more potatoes along the way.. I must have gotten over the guilt.. Hahaha

Ginny

Old August 21, 2015   #120
Carriehelene
Tomatovillian™

Beautiful and delicious looking Ginny. I can never decide if I want to go live with you or Worth both of you look like such amazing cooks.
Carriehelene is offline   Reply With Quote