Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 8, 2015   #106
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Barb,

I forget which ones you got from Artisan. That was the new yellow orange beefsteak?

Ginny

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8, 2015   #107
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiishergurl View Post
Barb,

I forget which ones you got from Artisan. That was the new yellow orange beefsteak?

Ginny

Yep, Orange Jazz is one of them: These are descriptions of all of them;

http://baianicchia.blogspot.com/2015...-7-update.html

I don't have them yet though.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8, 2015   #108
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Larry - I got the broccoli seeds on Saturday and sowed late that afternoon.

This AM (Tuesday) I checked and they already germinated.

I also sowed some F2 Packman seeds from 2013 that I let go to seed and kept in a bank envelope; and they germinated as well.

But the F1 Packman from the 2013 pack did not germinate in 2.5 days.

RE: broccoli seeds - are they like tomatoes re: the F1, F2, etc?

I know that F2 peppers have insignificant (if any) differences.

found: http://www.fedcoseeds.com/seeds/?item=3303
Not as short DTM but no side shoots.

Also promising is:
http://www.johnnyseeds.com/p-7271-gr...ntgPrgm_062015

I might buy Green Magic from Park Seed b/c they have free shipping on anything ending today.

Thank you so much for the seeds. Will return the favor.
Old September 9, 2015   #109
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Barb - Those Artisans look awesome!! So pretty. Looking forward to seeing how they do... :-)

I got all my little seeds planted. They are in their little covered trays outside. Better late than never!

And I salvaged two sprigs off the Brandywine cherry dark to clone...

Oh and just a general note .. i can't remember to put Ginny in Florida so I guess I'm just plain ol Ginny again... lol.

Ginny

Old September 9, 2015   #110
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

The BCD are wonderful cloners; you will have tomatoes in no time. I cloned some with flowers on them and they produced tomatoes from those flowers. Turned into a tomato machine until DH didn't water it enough the week I couldn't go outside.

Ginny - we know it's you - you are inherently Ginny in Florida. I'm so glad you got the job in Orlando/home. How's your mom?

BTW - my new blueberry plants are doing well. Hopefully they are a low chill variety. But one of my originals (not the big one) looked horrible when I got back from NC in late August. It still doesn't look better even though it has been transplanted. I don't know what happened to it.

===
Marsha - Loved your pics on your new seedling thread. After the cells, what do you transplant them to?
Old September 9, 2015   #111
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Barb - Those Artisans look awesome!! So pretty. Looking forward to seeing how they do... :-)

I got all my little seeds planted. They are in their little covered trays outside. Better late than never!

And I salvaged two sprigs off the Brandywine cherry dark to clone...

Oh and just a general note .. i can't remember to put Ginny in Florida so I guess I'm just plain ol Ginny again... lol.

Ginny
Ginny, hello and good day, and to the other Floridians too. Ginny, curious as to why you cover your seed trays, I am always concerned for seeds being started under cover here in Florida in the summer. I worry for the perfect conditions for damping off to occur. I dont use heat either, they are on my patio, air temp around 90F and I have an overhead fan going.
Goid luck and lots of love to your seeds for germination, hope it's 100%!
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2015   #112
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
The BCD are wonderful cloners; you will have tomatoes in no time. I cloned some with flowers on them and they produced tomatoes from those flowers. Turned into a tomato machine until DH didn't water it enough the week I couldn't go outside.

Ginny - we know it's you - you are inherently Ginny in Florida. I'm so glad you got the job in Orlando/home. How's your mom?

BTW - my new blueberry plants are doing well. Hopefully they are a low chill variety. But one of my originals (not the big one) looked horrible when I got back from NC in late August. It still doesn't look better even though it has been transplanted. I don't know what happened to it.

===
Marsha - Loved your pics on your new seedling thread. After the cells, what do you transplant them to?
Thanks Barb! This weekend I am having people over for a plant out party, all approx 375 seedlings will go each into their own 3&1/2" square pots, ( McKonkey.com)using Promix BX, and a pinch of Tomato Maker fertilizer(yucky- smells like fish!). They will get a little more Tomato Maker in 2 more weeks, and in 4 weeks, into the Earthboxes they go, using Promix BX, and Tomato Tone fertilizer. I found a place online that sells the 18lb Tomato Tone, my very favorite fertilizer, for 14.99 and shipping. That's the cheapest I have ever seen it.
Old September 9, 2015   #113
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Marsha - The first time i did it, thats what the directions said. I haven't ever had any damping off or problems so i just kept doing it that way. But as soon as they sprout and are about an inch or two tall I transplant them (with baby leaves only) and I start them low and keep adding more mix around them so they end up with really thick stems and deep root systems from the get go. Not sure if that makes sense, but basically i put them down low in the solo cup and keep adding mix as they get taller, then the gallon pot, then the swc and its not filled all the way with mix and as they grow I add more mix. I think this helps them be stronger and able to support a bunch of tomatoes.

Maybe its because i transplant them so soon that i dont get the damping off. I like doing it that way because since they sprout at different rates I end up transplanting a few a day which is better for me with my schedule.

Ginny

Old September 9, 2015   #114
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Barb - my name is unusual and i was on another forum and when a second Ginny started posting people were forever getting us confused. So since there is another Ginny here I was going to put Florida after my name to differentiate us... more so on the non Florida threads than here. But my over 40 brain can't remember to do that... lol.

Ginny

Old September 9, 2015   #115
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Barb - my name is unusual and i was on another forum and when a second Ginny started posting people were forever getting us confused. So since there is another Ginny here I was going to put Florida after my name to differentiate us... more so on the non Florida threads than here. But my over 40 brain can't remember to do that... lol.

Ginny

Ginny, if you don't have damping off issues, then I would say your method is a great one. I have seen your results, you do better than almost anyone!

As far as your signature, you can put what you want in your profile signature, then you don't need to remember.
Old September 9, 2015   #116
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Thanks Barb! This weekend I am having people over for a plant out party, all approx 375 seedlings will go each into their own 3&1/2" square pots, ( McKonkey.com)using Promix BX, and a pinch of Tomato Maker fertilizer(yucky- smells like fish!). They will get a little more Tomato Maker in 2 more weeks, and in 4 weeks, into the Earthboxes they go, using Promix BX, and Tomato Tone fertilizer. I found a place online that sells the 18lb Tomato Tone, my very favorite fertilizer, for 14.99 and shipping. That's the cheapest I have ever seen it.
375 seedlings!! You are my hero... :-) It's amazing what you are doing for your club in addition to the seed offer you always do.. :-) I dont think a lot of people realize how much work goes into all of that. .. every phase. I don't know how you save so many seeds from that many types, keep them organized, and keep it straight when sending out so many to so many people. Not mention all the work to get them to the seed saving stage.

Whew!

Ginny

Old September 9, 2015   #117
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
375 seedlings!! You are my hero... :-) It's amazing what you are doing for your club in addition to the seed offer you always do.. :-) I dont think a lot of people realize how much work goes into all of that. .. every phase. I don't know how you save so many seeds from that many types, keep them organized, and keep it straight when sending out so many to so many people. Not mention all the work to get them to the seed saving stage.

Whew!

Ginny

That is so nice of you to say, Ginny. I just save the seed from each tomato separately. I use used solo cups and my left over Panera iced coffee cups, and place a label over the cup, write the variety name on the label. Sometimes at the end of the season a given cup will have 8-9 layers of label.
It isn't too hard once you get into the rhythym.
Old September 11, 2015   #118
Imthechuck
Tomatovillian™

Awesome Home Depot has free to ship to store which is the best!

Question:

Does anyone plant tomatoes in the middle ends of the eb and run the fertilizer down the middle?

I found an old post by Marsha about the blue stuff and seedlings after I already had used it.... sad plants
Imthechuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2015   #119
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imthechuck View Post
Awesome Home Depot has free to ship to store which is the best!

Question:

Does anyone plant tomatoes in the middle ends of the eb and run the fertilizer down the middle?

I found an old post by Marsha about the blue stuff and seedlings after I already had used it.... sad plants
Raybo recommends that method for tomatoes in his Earthtainers. Why not? The roots grow in the entire thing.
Old September 11, 2015   #120
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Marsha - I checked those small clamps and they fit perfectly holding down the white plastic on the EB.

Thanks for the info re: pots and Tomato Maker - I never heard of that brand. Do you think it makes a HUGE difference?

I'm doing Espoma Starter Plus this year. On Amazon, I needed to get to $35 and bought Jobe's Organic Fast Starter an add-on item (same price as HD). Last spring I used Urban Farms Dry formula which was excellent - But at $23 for 6 lbs, pretty expensive. I was going to buy 3 (comes down to $17 each but still $51 for 18 lbs of fertilizer).

Seedlings are doing great with the Espoma Starter and I can get it locally for $8ish.

--
I have a lot of white flies especially in my peppers and see some in my little seedlings too. Some of those nasty leaf miners on some of my seedling's leaves too.