Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old April 28, 2018   #106
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

If it is Baby Bubba Hybrid https://www.burpee.com/vegetables/ok...rod000766.html I can't tell by the picture if that is one or more plants? It does say "Plant 3-4 seeds every 12 inches in rows 36 inches apart." Then you weed it out to be one plant per 12"?

Regular sized okra plants you plant 18" apart, and sometimes, that is not far enough apart. I'm growing Louisiana Green Velvet okra - it can grow to be 6'-8' tall, so I'm growing one plant per 5 gallon bucket.

Last edited by AlittleSalt; April 29, 2018 at 12:33 AM. Reason: ? instead of .
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2018   #107
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I did get the 60 stakes cut. I used old 1 x 2 stakes that were much longer than needed to be. Many had damage from the wet soil they had been used in for the past few years. Yes, the sharpie markers lasts for years of labeling. Many were from 2015 when it rained 73+ inches, and still looked like I wrote the variety name just a few weeks ago. Those 1 x 2s are around 20 years old.

I did get all 60 of them driven into place. I used that old hammer I wrote about in my "Hammer Time" thread in the BIY section here. If I have buckets of plants blown over now - I won't be worried about the plants - instead, I'll worry about the shape of my house. I believe in building things that will last a long time. Those stakes will last a year. That will give me time to see how container growing works. If it is positive, I will replace the wooden stakes with rebar.

Tomorrow, I'm hoping to wake up feeling good so I can move some oak leaves and cypress mulch. The new garden is so close to our house that I don't like wearing shoes to work on it. I wonder how cypress mulch feels on your bare feet?

This thread has turned out to be a more personal thing. It is my fight to learn how to garden in a different way. I'm excited and want to see what happens. To answer the post above about okra, I asked Worth if he agreed with me, and he did. It seemed logical to me from the hundreds of okra plants I have grown, but it's good to be able to PM a friend who might agree or disagree.

So far, the results in the mediums - the tomato plants are all doing well. Tomorrow, I will be introducing them to the 4-28-38 / 15.5-0-0 Calcium Nitrate / Magnesium Sulfate that AKmark wrote about. The squash and okra are being fed by 10-10-10.
Old April 29, 2018   #108
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Salt, it does my heart good to see you haven't given up and are excited and willing to try a new way. It will be an interesting summer, and you will learn a lot. I hope it is productive for you as well.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2018   #109
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Thank you Sue

Gardening is one of the things I can still do. I can't work on it every day. Today was one of those days, but I was still itching to get out there to do things. I was able to put clear sealer/packaging tape over the labels on the buckets. I did it barefooted and that ground the buckets are sitting on gets very hot. I do need to get the mulch on it asap.

We adapt to our situation and do our best in one way or another.

Last edited by AlittleSalt; April 30, 2018 at 12:27 PM.
Old April 30, 2018   #110
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

"We adapt to our situation and do our best in one way or another."

Just like growing tomatoes!
I too have had to adapt and grow in containers due to tree roots. Where there's a will there's a way. If I can't do a lot one day I try to do a little or, at least, have a good look!
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2018   #111
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Mark,

I used the method of fertilizing/feeding the tomato plants you told me about yesterday morning. I used it at half strength. Today, the plants are noticeably larger. I have never seen that much growth in a 24 hour time period.

It has been overcast for the past day and a half, but you wouldn't know it by looking at the tomato plant growth.
Old May 1, 2018   #112
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Mark,

I used the method of fertilizing/feeding the tomato plants you told me about yesterday morning. I used it at half strength. Today, the plants are noticeably larger. I have never seen that much growth in a 24 hour time period.

It has been overcast for the past day and a half, but you wouldn't know it by looking at the tomato plant growth.
Keep us posted Robert, and best of luck
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2018   #113
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

This morning when I woke up and was still groggy and hadn't had coffee yet, I looked out at the tomato plants and there was one that looked like someone sat on it. A whole lot of life happened (Phone calls, people yapping, you know) I watched the plant for almost three hours recovering - a good sign. I did go out there and prop it up some with shish-k-bob skewers. It's looking okay. I kind of figured a cat got on the plant or the German Shepherd. It turned out to be El señor don Gato. He jumped up and curled around the plant.

I put cages around the plants, and quickly found that I need to replace those cages. They are cut out to be used for plants planted in ground, not ones in buckets. They are also rusting from years of partial in ground use. Now that the main garden fence has been removed - I have the materials on-hand to build nicer cages/supports.

I do have one thought that I have not posted here. I expect a lot of disagreement. I have thought about burying those 5 gallon buckets about half way. I can still seal the holes in the buckets. Worth, you are right in a respect. Holes in buckets are for people who over-water (My words and thought's). I want to control the amount of water and fertilizer/food because there is no such thing as a "Normal or average rainfall" year here. Yet, I've never heard of nor seen a summer here when it's not hot and humid. Burying those buckets half way will cool them down at least some. Putting the cypress mulch around them will help cool them down too. It does mean changing things I've already done, but this is my practice container garden.

To me, this sounds rational/logical. Feel free to tell me how wrong I am.
Old May 3, 2018   #114
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

If you go full chemo like AK, having 0 holes will make you miserable. If you go organic, with just some chemical addition, then it should be ok for one season, will probably need to replace the mix or well wash it for next season though.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2018   #115
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Salt I dont know if it is over watering or not I have no idea what they put holes for drainage in containers.
I suppose it is.
I have just seen that most have the wrong soil and too many too big holes.
Most if this is from nurseries that have giant chunks of bark and I think it is just cheap filler.

The lady up the street has tomatoes in containers and we bought at the same time.
Mine are at least twice if not three times as big as hers.
I mine were smaller I would say so.

Second year on the soil this year 13-13-13.

Putting the buckets in the ground with sealed holes is I think a bad idea.
For one you need that sight tube to tell what the water level is and to drain them.
Second if the seal breaks or a root comes out nematode attack.
Third no guarantees on if they work if my method is modified.
I dont want people thinking I am full of it and have been lying all along about growing plants in a containers with no drain holes.
They do have one drain hole and that is the sight tube I lower if need be.
These are 30 and 40 gallon containers I have no idea if it will work on smaller containers.

No idea if it will work with any other soil mixture or in any other place but my driveway.
It might not work 400 feet up the road.

When conducting experiments you have to have controls and when comparing and testing you need to only change one thing at a time and keep records.
Last year the MG blue and Alaska fish food wasn't getting it, the 13-13-13 made them take off like a rocket.
I figure I'm getting enough calcium from my water hose and BER is my only concern at this time.
Didn't have it last year though on the regular containers, one sunk in the soil the other on top.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2018   #116
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

I worry with no drain holes. The perfect environment for bad anaerobic bacteria and lots of fungus to start is stagnating not recirculated water. An analogy is rotating food at the salad bar. What happens to the bottom cole slaw if they keep dumping fresh on top , and the bottom stuff is still left there over and over? That bottom stuff gets the wrong bacteria and the whole thing is spoiled. So you will not be able to reuse your potting mix until you sterilize it, and if you grow in the summer, you cant even solarize it right? Will need another way to sterilize.

Sorry if you think I am telling you how wrong you are, I just want you to succeed.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2018   #117
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Thank you. There are a lot of, "I don't knows" in my first attempt at this. I do read the things you all write, and I try to take your advice and try to make it work with my growing conditions.

I also look at the gardens people near me have growing. They grow a failed garden for one growing season and they give up. I can't tell you how many times that I have seen this. All of those gardens are grown in ground. I have also noticed that a lot of local gardeners who once posted here - no longer do. I have a feeling that they have ran into the same problems.?

It's 6:40am and light enough to see the plants - they look good. The old temporary cages kept the tomcat out
Old May 3, 2018   #118
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Sorry if you think I am telling you how wrong you are, I just want you to succeed.
I know you want to see my garden succeed, and I thank you. There is so much going on in my life. Gardening is my escape, and I'm willing to try anything to grow successfully again.
Old May 3, 2018   #119
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I guess people think I'm growing tomatoes in The Sudd.
They couldn't be more wrong.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2018   #120
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
This morning when I woke up and was still groggy and hadn't had coffee yet, I looked out at the tomato plants and there was one that looked like someone sat on it. A whole lot of life happened (Phone calls, people yapping, you know) I watched the plant for almost three hours recovering - a good sign. I did go out there and prop it up some with shish-k-bob skewers. It's looking okay. I kind of figured a cat got on the plant or the German Shepherd. It turned out to be El señor don Gato. He jumped up and curled around the plant.

I put cages around the plants, and quickly found that I need to replace those cages. They are cut out to be used for plants planted in ground, not ones in buckets. They are also rusting from years of partial in ground use. Now that the main garden fence has been removed - I have the materials on-hand to build nicer cages/supports.

I do have one thought that I have not posted here. I expect a lot of disagreement. I have thought about burying those 5 gallon buckets about half way. I can still seal the holes in the buckets. Worth, you are right in a respect. Holes in buckets are for people who over-water (My words and thought's). I want to control the amount of water and fertilizer/food because there is no such thing as a "Normal or average rainfall" year here. Yet, I've never heard of nor seen a summer here when it's not hot and humid. Burying those buckets half way will cool them down at least some. Putting the cypress mulch around them will help cool them down too. It does mean changing things I've already done, but this is my practice container garden.

To me, this sounds rational/logical. Feel free to tell me how wrong I am.
Hi Robert, I just saw your post about no drain holes. I highly recommend using them, especially if you want a long growing season. You actually want to see about 10 percent runoff leach out, it is very important.

Save yourself a bunch of time and guessing, order the Hydro Garden growers guide for 10 bucks, it is worth the money, I have one that has well worn pages.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote