Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 26, 2008   #106
Spatzbear
Tomatovillian™

Hey all, I'm still alive! We now hold the official record for 15 days in a row over 35C! Average temperature was 38 (point something) C!

And now the heat has broken, and some wet stuff has fallen from the sky! It's amazing, it's fantastic, it's a big relief! It's autumn bordering on to winter. We are wearing our woollies, and need our wood heater at night. Not complaining!

Tomatoes? I wasn't able to save a single tomato seed!!!! That's a record for me. We got our fill, though. The pantry is full, so is the freezer. There are still some tomatoes on the kitchen bench and on the plants in the garden.

I haven't been able to sow much where winter/spring veggies are concerned, but at least the garlic is planted. Let's hope I can do another round of sowing and planting.

Hope all is well with everybody!
Old March 26, 2008   #107
mcsee
Tomatovillian™

One can hope that the hotter weather has now passed and we can get on with a cooler Autumn.

We managed enough tomatoes to satisfy our needs, but ended up with very few varieties of saved seed, some plants the fruit was completely seedless. The plants I started very late were the best producers and I even managed seed from a few. The plants I had hoped for seed from I got, including the dwarf varieties I grew, plus a couple of others including a small heart.

Next year we'll only grow those that we know perform well for us from past experiences.
mcsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2008   #108
Raymondo
Tomatovillian™

Wow! We've had one of the coolest summers in ages, and the rest of the country was sweltering. What a year! I've got things flowering now that normally only flower in spring because the weather is now warmer than it was throughout Jan and Feb! Go figure. I blame those absent, specifically and especially John Howard!
Old March 26, 2008   #109
mcsee
Tomatovillian™

Raymondo - I hope your Autumn doesn't turn too cold for you before you get your tomatoes ripe and your other vegetables cropped..
mcsee is offline   Reply With Quote