Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 24, 2016   #1201
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

I guess not just tomatoes need a bit of stress to produce more. ha

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2016   #1202
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Marsha - your tree is beautiful. Loaded is right.

I think I have between 35-40 mangos on my tree. Triple last years amount, which tripled first years. I'm psyched - still hard as a rock. Two were on the ground so they are in a brown paper bag in the kitchen now.

My other tree has a lot too; but they are small. One was on the ground and partially chewed; I'm thinking raccoon. I saw one climbing down a Norfolk Pine tree right next to our house. It was the biggest raccoon I ever saw. Now I go out with the dog at night or take him to the front. I don't want the raccoon to get him. The tree cutter was suppose to take down those trees last Saturday but didn't show. He would have been shocked.

Some of my mangos are really low hanging; inches from the ground.

-----
Is anyone getting the emails that someone responded to a thread you posted?
Seems I stopped getting the emails a few weeks ago.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2016   #1203
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
Marsha - your tree is beautiful. Loaded is right.

I think I have between 35-40 mangos on my tree. Triple last years amount, which tripled first years. I'm psyched - still hard as a rock. Two were on the ground so they are in a brown paper bag in the kitchen now.

My other tree has a lot too; but they are small. One was on the ground and partially chewed; I'm thinking raccoon. I saw one climbing down a Norfolk Pine tree right next to our house. It was the biggest raccoon I ever saw. Now I go out with the dog at night or take him to the front. I don't want the raccoon to get him. The tree cutter was suppose to take down those trees last Saturday but didn't show. He would have been shocked.

Some of my mangos are really low hanging; inches from the ground.

-----
Is anyone getting the emails that someone responded to a thread you posted?
Seems I stopped getting the emails a few weeks ago.
Ella- aint it the truth! Heee!
Barb- go to your profile and change your email notifications, and you wpill start getting notices again. I'll get the steps and edit this to add them.
OK here are the steps: click My Profile in the upper left, then Edit Options, then in Messaging and Notifications go to the Default Thread Subscription Mode, and select Instant Email Notifications from the drop down box.

Has anyone ever had a Hayden Mango? Someone gave me a tree.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2016   #1204
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
So sorry Barb, I just saw this. With my Kent, they never really get that yellow orange color, they just get yellower and soften a good bit. I start to pick them when they are getting a decent size, so I am picking some now. I scrub the skin with soap and the scruffy part of a dish sponge, then I dry, then I actually spray the outside with Lysol Spray. This kills any anthracnose fungus and allows them to ripen without rotting. Lysol's active ingredient is ethanol, that's the same thing as the alcohol we drink, plus some scent chems. The mango skin is really thick, so that is completely cut off when they are ripe.
I put them in a paper bag closed up and it speeds the ripening. The orders are coming in already from my friends for dehydrated Mango. LOL.
Bad photo, but you can see how loaded the tree is this year.
Marsha,
What a beautiful tree. Is this tree considered a miniature? I'm guessing it is grafted.
Larry

Last edited by Zone9b; June 24, 2016 at 09:40 PM.
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2016   #1205
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone9b View Post
Marsha,
What a beautiful tree. Is this tree considered a miniature? I'm guessing it is grafted.
Larry
Thanks Larry. Yes it was grafted, no not even close to being a miniature, they can grow to 60' if left untrimmed.
Fiberless fruit, outstanding flavor, Kent ( my variety) is a cross of a Haden mango, which was at one time the most popular mango in the world, and the original Haden is still in Coconut Grove, Fl.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2016   #1206
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Marsha - Is your Haden gift a grafted plant? If so, nice friend. I hear good things about Haden.

Here's my blueberry plants that I bought as tiny seedlings from RareSeed (late April). I now have 6 blueberry plants. The warm winter (<150 chill hours) affected production on my 2 producers.

Kay - here is the Buena Mulata Hot Pepper plant. I still have one seedling left to transplant. Can't wait to see the peppers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BlueBerry Plants from Rareseed (400x300).jpg (64.3 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg Kays Purple Pepper Plant (400x332).jpg (76.8 KB, 49 views)
Old June 25, 2016   #1207
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

Barb I think you will love the Buena Mulata (Purple Pippen) It s so pretty when it has the purple blooms and purple peppers. I have made 3 batches of the Salsa Morada hot sauce that Baker Creek posted on their website. It is the only hot sauce I have ever had with chocolate in it.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2016   #1208
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrobbins View Post
Barb I think you will love the Buena Mulata (Purple Pippen) It s so pretty when it has the purple blooms and purple peppers. I have made 3 batches of the Salsa Morada hot sauce that Baker Creek posted on their website. It is the only hot sauce I have ever had with chocolate in it.
hot sauce with chocolate? Was it good?

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2016   #1209
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Above are some pictures of my tomato plants in Philly. I ended up planting 22 plants, all in the ground but 3. I think 11 of the 22 are not getting enough sun, (long story) which is why I planted more in a sunnier spot which wasnt part of the oirginal garden area. So thats how I ended up planting so many. Hopefully I will get enough to can some sauce and salsa to take home with us.

Also, I'm paying the maintenance man where I live in Florida to pull the plants there and solarize them. Does he need to dump the water out of the eartboxes? Also, Barb what kind of clear bags did you use and where did you get them?

Thanks!
Ginny

Last edited by Fiishergurl; June 27, 2016 at 10:01 AM.
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2016   #1210
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Marsha that Mango tree is incredible!!

Kay those purple pippens look so interesting... :-)

Ginny

Last edited by Fiishergurl; June 27, 2016 at 10:09 AM.
Old June 27, 2016   #1211
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiishergurl View Post
Above are some pictures of my tomato plants in Philly. I ended up planting 22 plants, all in the ground but 3. I think 11 of the 22 are not getting enough sun, (long story) which is why I planted more in a sunnier spot which wasnt part of the oirginal garden area. So thats how I ended up planting so many. Hopefully I will get enough to can some sauce and salsa to take home with us.
Also, I'm paying the maintenance man where I live in Florida to pull the plants there and solarize them. Does he need to dump the water out of the eartboxes? Also, Barb what kind of clear bags did you use and where did you get them?
Thanks!
Ginny
Solarization certainly isn't my area of expertise but I think I remember an UofF article on solarizing for nematodes indicating that some moisture present was advantageous.
Larry

Last edited by Zone9b; June 27, 2016 at 03:33 PM.
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2016   #1212
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Ginny - you want to dump the water in the reservoir (just tip the EB should get most of it), but the mix should still have enough moisture. I also discard the top 3-5" and then load up the top to make it really loaf like. (combining EB).

I bought these from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A3TX4YUK2VIRSQ

They are 3 ply and clear.

Ask Marsha too; I think I remember her using some other kind.
Old June 27, 2016   #1213
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Ginny - your plants look awesome. My eyes were bugging out seeing those plants before knowing it was you posting.

I'm sure 22 plants even with sharing will give you tons of tomatoes for eating, sauce. When you think of it, 22 really is a lot of plants.
Old June 27, 2016   #1214
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

Ginny, I do love that pepper. it has become my new favorite pepper. I like it so much that in addition to the 6 growing outside I have three growing inside under grow lights. I was growing too many varieties to save pure seeds from the ones outside. The gallon pots were too small but I did not want 3 gallon pots because of the height. I found these blue tubs at Dollar Tree that are shorter and 2 1/2 gallon. After drilling a few holes that work great. I don't know why the picture of the plant turned sideways because it was just like the others when I uploaded it. I also included a picture of the Salsa Morada.

Your garden looks great. I have to admire your tenacity to manage to have a garden going in a temporary home.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160627_111553.jpg (285.8 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 20160627_111730.jpg (305.9 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg 20160618_170737-1.jpg (352.5 KB, 30 views)
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2016   #1215
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Thank you Barb and Larry... :-)

Ginny