Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 24, 2017   #1231
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Thanks everyone. I decided to come poking around while I eat leftover tacos for breakfast. I have finally emptied all my 1 gallon plastic jugs full of water on the plants and into my 5 gallon buckets that had my garden mix in them. I smashed all the jugs up and put them into the trash can. Good thing trash is coming this morning because it's full of smashed gallon jugs.

I moved all my garden pots into the center of the garden where they are sheltered some by the storage shed. Hopefully it help to block some of the wind but somehow I doubt very much that it will. I moved all the water buckets over against the fence area to block the big black containers I have in hopes they won't get blown away. I'll probably turn them over and just fill them with water too.

As far as people getting ready, I almost yelled at my friend yesterday because they are being complacent. I told her this thing could change on a dime and be a hurricane ready to hit us square. Oh joy, guess what has happened now? We have been working our tails off trying to get things done since Tuesday when they said we were getting a storm. Oh well, if they die I won't feel sorry for them. Makes me so mad.

I still need to finish putting more cardboard into my huge garden beds and put all my cages in there and tie them in. That only leaves what to do with the BBQ, patio furniture and the pull cart back there. The garage is loaded with all our woodworking stuff and the lawn mower. Just no room left in that tiny one car garage.

Okay, breakfast is finished I need to go back out before i give out and it gets too hot. I have already changed clothes twice since 5:00 this morning.

Update:

I've moved all I can out there. The rest hubby will have to do because it's heavy wood. I think what we can do with that is make some sort of cage for all the buckets of water to be inside of. That should keep things from getting blown around. All my garden cages are moved to the garden beds but I was thinking that maybe I should have my earthbox's and other smaller planters in my garden beds and then use the cages to tie it all in. The cages can be zip tied to the framing of the garden beds. Might do that if we have time to. I need to cool off, relax and gain some strength back, then shower and get to packing our personal items I see two showers today.

~Margaret Atwood~

Last edited by Rockporter; August 24, 2017 at 09:15 AM.
Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2017   #1232
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

Rock, where along the Texas coast do you live? I am glad you and your husband have been preparing for the worst and hoping for the best. I don't understand the reasoning behind those that just stick their head in the sand and act like nothing could go wrong. Boggles the mind.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2017   #1233
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Rock, you're the smart one taking all the precautions and preparing in advance. Too many people stick their heads in the sand in these situations.

We see it all the time up here with winter storms. The weather people will warn us a big one is coming days in advance, and those of us who know better will make all our preparations early. Those who ignore the warnings are the ones hitting the stores in a frenzy at the very last minute, and then crying because the store shelves are empty and they don't have what they need to deal with the aftermath.

I hope you and all our other members in the path of the storm make it safely through, and please check in when you can do that we know you're all okay.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2017   #1234
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Always so smart to take storms seriously. And this one looks pretty bad. Shocking how
many people drag their feet, a wait-and-see attitude.

My storm list is quite extensive now having been through Igor, Sandy, Irene, etc.

Not just the dangers of storm itself, as horrible as that can be,
but the weeks recovery, the aftermath.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2017   #1235
MissS
Tomatovillian™

I'm glad to know that you are making preparations. Stay safe!
Old August 24, 2017   #1236
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
Rock, you're the smart one taking all the precautions and preparing in advance. Too many people stick their heads in the sand in these situations.
Right! The more effort you put into preparing, the less likely the bad thing will happen.

Gov. Abbott has declared a 30 county area "a pre-emptive disaster area." That way they can get emergency responses under way before an actual disaster. He (or his spokesman) said that it also serves as a wake-up call and that the Austin area could get 6-8" of rain.

Good luck, all!

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

Last edited by dmforcier; August 24, 2017 at 12:57 PM.
dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2017   #1237
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, I am hoping it decides to fizzle to a tropical storm instead. But it doesn't look like it will be gracing us with that. I just got back from Lowe's and returned some fasteners for the plywood we don't need. I bought way too many. Anyway, at least someone else can use them if they need them. Best they not sit in my garage when people are in a frenzy.

My neighbor to the left boarded his house finally. He's volunteer fireman and will be hunkering down at the fire house with his wife.

While at Lowe's I bought 200 feet of rope for hubby and a huge bunch of 24" zip ties to use on the garden beds. I have surely decided to zip tie the plant cages around anything we can put in those boxes. That way they have something to hold them in.

My friend is finally doing something. What makes me most mad is she has three horses. I texted her this morning and told her to get the horses moved or else. Sheesh. She is now, but geez why wait till the last minute? Now shes running for more horse feed to Corpus. Dumb, Dumb, Dumb. Makes me so mad.

Oh Steve we are 5 miles inland from the Corpus Christi Bay in a little town called Ingleside. I no longer live in Rockport, but hey, I am still Rockporter, lol. Rockport will be hit too. This thing is getting bigger.

Anyway, we will probably evacuate out tonight.

See you all later, I still have more to do.

~Margaret Atwood~

Last edited by Rockporter; August 24, 2017 at 12:15 PM.
Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2017   #1238
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Rock. You and yours will be in my thoughts and prayers as the storm moves closer. Mother Nature can sure be a b**** some times. I am glad to hear you are bugging out.
Old August 24, 2017   #1239
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

Weather Channel guy just said they are expecting flooding up to 100 miles inland. Wow!
Old August 24, 2017   #1240
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Flooding probably from the expected heavy rains, not from storm surge. The south coast has notorious drainage problems because it's so low and flat.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2017   #1241
gdaddybill
Tomatovillian™

Stay safe. Glad you're prepared!

Bill
gdaddybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2017   #1242
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

We got issued a tropical storm warning for Bastrop County 2 hours ago.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2017   #1243
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

The meteorologist on the Weather Channel said you won't get away from the rain and possible flooding in south Texas until you get near Dallas!
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2017   #1244
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Dont ask me how but it feels like hurricane weather and has for a few days.
I only live 150 miles from the coast.

That is nothing in Texas measurements.
Been hit several times since I have lived in this area.
First time on tbe dirty side.
From the map predictions it looks like I might be in tbe dead center.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2017   #1245
imp
Tomatovillian™

Rockporter, stay safe and I am glad you are as prepared as any can be for the weather problems. You and yours will be in my thoughts.

Being prepared is so important. Having gone through the drills of how to make ready is also a good thing- you know what you have and what needs doing. I think you are wise about both and understand the irritation re the neighbor.

Be careful, you have small roads to use until you clear quite aways away.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote