Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 29, 2016   #1261
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
That is a lot of hybrids, Larry. I hope they do well for you. Did you get mostly hybrids because of nematode resistance?
Marsha,
My goal in general is to grow a lot of tomatoes at a low cost and not a huge effort. A bit like a commercial grower, I want to achieve maximum production at minimum cost. I want to fill my freezer with tomatoes, green beans, broccoli, peppers etc. I want vegetables to be the major part of my diet, I don’t want them to contain pesticide, fungicide, etc residues and of course I don’t want to buy them.
I like a good tasting tomato and I try to gravitate to those that taste better but first and foremost I want to produce a sufficient amount of tomatoes.
It is my opinion that those who are most likely to help me achieve my goals are plant breeders and it appears the technology they have available today is going to make for tremendous advances in tomato plant breeding.
For this reason I gravitate to the most modern tomato varieties in general. As I have said before I grow in both Raised Beds (RBS) and containers, but for me the RBs are far more productive and growing hybrids with their disease resistance and heterosis (plant vigor) in RBs is the most productive way to go, however, I have grown some OPs that have done fairly well there as well. When choosing a new variety to grow in a RB I look for an F1 with good disease resistance including nematode resistance, however, I do a lot of search for comments from others on how well the variety has done for them, that is if I can find any comments. Also, just finding an F1 variety that has a good disease package, nematode resistance and positive comments certainly doesn’t mean it is going to work for me here in Central Florida. One example is Goliath F1 indeterminate, looks like it would have everything I would want but when I tried it, performance was very poor.
Once again this fall I will be trying a few new varieties which are F1, disease resistant and nematode resistant but I’m sure not all will make the cut. Skyway 687 F1 looks great for Central Florida. One seed vendor says,” heat-set tomato and set fruit well over 90 degrees”.
I especially have a hard time finding tomato varieties which work well in containers. Tycoon F1 looks like a possibility. I don’t like the fact that it is 80 dtm but it is said to also be a heat set tomato. I plan to give it a try.
Thanks for the question,
Larry

Last edited by Zone9b; June 29, 2016 at 08:17 PM.
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2016   #1262
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Larry - I loved your explanation. It makes total sense; Which of the F1s include White Fly resistance?

Ginny - You have the magic tomato touch in Philly or Oak Hill....it doesn't matter.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2016   #1263
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
Larry - I loved your explanation. It makes total sense; Which of the F1s include White Fly resistance?
Ginny - You have the magic tomato touch in Philly or Oak Hill....it doesn't matter.
You know, I don't think I would know a White Fly if it were to land on my nose. Hopefully when I stick my mustard container smeared with Tanglefoot on a stake I will know if I have any.

Last edited by Zone9b; June 29, 2016 at 08:53 PM.
Old June 29, 2016   #1264
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Thank you Barb... :-)

Skyway F1 and Charger F1 both have intermediate resistance to TYLCV. I grew them both this spring but didnt get to taste them. I have one set of neighbors that like anything red and they have been eating them and love them. I have plenty of seeds of both (leftover, not saved) if you want to try them.

Ginny
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2016   #1265
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiishergurl View Post
Thank you Barb... :-)
Skyway F1 and Charger F1 both have intermediate resistance to TYLCV. I grew them both this spring but didnt get to taste them. I have one set of neighbors that like anything red and they have been eating them and love them. I have plenty of seeds of both (leftover, not saved) if you want to try them.
Ginny
Ginny,
I have Skyway F1 seeds but not Charger F1 seeds. Charger looks interesting only 24" high. Looks like a good potential 10 gallon container tomato, which I really need. I would love to have a few of the seeds if possible.
Many thanks,
Larry
Old June 29, 2016   #1266
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Larry,

Yes of course I would be happy to. I have to go to the post office tomorrow to send out some other things so pm me your address again and I will send them out tomorrow. I brought all of my seeds with me so should have them in my seed stash ... :-)

Ginny

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Old June 30, 2016   #1267
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
Barb,
Thank you for your kind comment.
Larry
Old June 30, 2016   #1268
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

This year was the first time I have ever had a whitefly problem. They loved my kale. The plants looked healthy but when you started to harvest leafs it was suddenly like a cloud of them flew out from the underside of the leaves. But I have had almost no problem with stink bugs that have been my biggest problem for 3 seasons. I think all the plants I have growing to attract beneficial insects is being to have an impact.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2016   #1269
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrobbins View Post
This year was the first time I have ever had a whitefly problem. They loved my kale. The plants looked healthy but when you started to harvest leafs it was suddenly like a cloud of them flew out from the underside of the leaves. But I have had almost no problem with stink bugs that have been my biggest problem for 3 seasons. I think all the plants I have growing to attract beneficial insects is being to have an impact.
That is interesting Kay. The reason I say that is that I grew quite a bit of Kale this past season. I grew Red Winter and Lacianto. This was the first time for Lacianto and I liked it a lot. But I had no pest issues with either variety. That may be an indication that I don't have a whitefly problem.
Thanks,
Larry
Old June 30, 2016   #1270
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiishergurl View Post
Larry,

I brought all of my seeds with me so should have them in my seed stash ... :-)

Ginny

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Yep! We gardeners have our priorities in order.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2016   #1271
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone9b View Post
Marsha,
My goal in general is to grow a lot of tomatoes at a low cost and not a huge effort. A bit like a commercial grower, I want to achieve maximum production at minimum cost. I want to fill my freezer with tomatoes, green beans, broccoli, peppers etc. I want vegetables to be the major part of my diet, I don’t want them to contain pesticide, fungicide, etc residues and of course I don’t want to buy them.
I like a good tasting tomato and I try to gravitate to those that taste better but first and foremost I want to produce a sufficient amount of tomatoes.
It is my opinion that those who are most likely to help me achieve my goals are plant breeders and it appears the technology they have available today is going to make for tremendous advances in tomato plant breeding.
For this reason I gravitate to the most modern tomato varieties in general. As I have said before I grow in both Raised Beds (RBS) and containers, but for me the RBs are far more productive and growing hybrids with their disease resistance and heterosis (plant vigor) in RBs is the most productive way to go, however, I have grown some OPs that have done fairly well there as well. When choosing a new variety to grow in a RB I look for an F1 with good disease resistance including nematode resistance, however, I do a lot of search for comments from others on how well the variety has done for them, that is if I can find any comments. Also, just finding an F1 variety that has a good disease package, nematode resistance and positive comments certainly doesn’t mean it is going to work for me here in Central Florida. One example is Goliath F1 indeterminate, looks like it would have everything I would want but when I tried it, performance was very poor.
Once again this fall I will be trying a few new varieties which are F1, disease resistant and nematode resistant but I’m sure not all will make the cut. Skyway 687 F1 looks great for Central Florida. One seed vendor says,” heat-set tomato and set fruit well over 90 degrees”.
I especially have a hard time finding tomato varieties which work well in containers. Tycoon F1 looks like a possibility. I don’t like the fact that it is 80 dtm but it is said to also be a heat set tomato. I plan to give it a try.
Thanks for the question,
Larry
That does make a lot of sense. If you will be kind enough, I hope you will post your results from the F1s.
Old June 30, 2016   #1272
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone9b View Post
That is interesting Kay. The reason I say that is that I grew quite a bit of Kale this past season. I grew Red Winter and Lacianto. This was the first time for Lacianto and I liked it a lot. But I had no pest issues with either variety. That may be an indication that I don't have a whitefly problem.
Thanks,
Larry
Larry, did you have any tomatoes with dark and light green swirly patterns and stunted growth, that just quit producing? If not, you might not have a whitefly problem. Look at the underside of tomato, pepper, and brassica leaves, if you see very tiny white insects, or not quite so tiny white clusters, or if your broccolis have silvering color on the leaves, or if you see tiny black flies on your sticky traps, then that's whiteflies.
They have gotten much better in the last 3 years down here( ground central for them).
Whiteflies are basically aphids with wings.
There are 34 varieties of whiteflies in S. FL.
The MGs say that now predators have found them to be good to eat.
Old June 30, 2016   #1273
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Yep! We gardeners have our priorities in order.
Hahahahaha... yes we do!

Ginny
Old June 30, 2016   #1274
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrobbins View Post
Kay,

They love cabbage and kale! I love Kale but not growing it again for a while after the TYLCV issues last fall. Even when the tomato plants no longer seemed to have any white flies, the kale always had a puff of them no matter how many stickies i put around them. I didnt want my spring seedlings to risk getting TYLCV so I pulled up the Kale and havent seen anymore white flies since.

I'm not saying to pull the Kale. Just mentioning that i couldn't get rid of them until I did. But i dont have an infestation of whitflies yet like some areas. Mine came in on a few plants. Some areas no matter what you do they will always be there due to what neighbors are growing etc.

Ginny
Old June 30, 2016   #1275
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Around me there are tens of miles of water and cities. No farms around. I had 2 containers with potatoes at the beginning of a season. Few days ago found couple Colorado potato beetle on it. Go figure.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote