Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old August 27, 2015   #121
loulac
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Durgan wrote : I neglected to mention never to use the lid of a pressure cooker with a gasket as a loose lid. This overheats the gasket and literally destroys it.

This makes me think of another common mistake: you may fry onions in the pressure cooker, then add the rest of the food, but don’t forget to cool its top completely with a wet sponge before setting the lid on it. Gaskets hate heat.
loulac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2015   #122
matereater
Tomatovillian™

Worth, your sammie looks awesome. never have considered using pressure cooker for a corned beef. Will have to give it a try, takes forever when you boil and heats up the kitchen.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
matereater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2015   #123
matereater
Tomatovillian™

Hey worth ? would that work for a pot roast as well ?? thats one of my favorite dishes. cutting down the cook time could be a real benefit.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
matereater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2015   #124
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by matereater View Post
Hey worth ? would that work for a pot roast as well ?? thats one of my favorite dishes. cutting down the cook time could be a real benefit.
You can cook almost anything in one here is whats left of the old recipe book and instruction manual.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...rwP5CGEt8rWDIg

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2015   #125
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

Durgan thanks for the tip about the presto seal.

Also, worth, that corn beef looks beautiful. I have a bunch in the freezer and will have to try reubens that way. Sometimes it does seem hit or miss boiling them depending on the quality of the individual cut.

I have the 23 qt presto, if you still need to specs. It is maybe 15 1/2" to the top of the gauge. The bottom pad is a hair over 8". I use it on a glass topped stove on a 1500w burner which glows red for 9". The burner must be kept very clean to use. A canning cycle generally takes about an hour and a half for me.
10min vent.
10min to 11lb pressure.
30 min at pressure.
35 min to cool down to the seal drop. (25 minute if I move it off hot burner)
10 min with weights removed.

EDIT btw does anyone have a good recipe for pressure canning BLTs? I want to eat them in December.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2015   #126
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRinPA View Post
Durgan thanks for the tip about the presto seal.

Also, worth, that corn beef looks beautiful. I have a bunch in the freezer and will have to try reubens that way. Sometimes it does seem hit or miss boiling them depending on the quality of the individual cut.

I have the 23 qt presto, if you still need to specs. It is maybe 15 1/2" to the top of the gauge. The bottom pad is a hair over 8". I use it on a glass topped stove on a 1500w burner which glows red for 9". The burner must be kept very clean to use. A canning cycle generally takes about an hour and a half for me.
10min vent.
10min to 11lb pressure.
30 min at pressure.
35 min to cool down to the seal drop. (25 minute if I move it off hot burner)
10 min with weights removed.

EDIT btw does anyone have a good recipe for pressure canning BLTs? I want to eat them in December.
One good thing about pressure cooking the meat is the pressure is equal on the inside and out or greater on the outside.
This helps greatly in keeping the meat moist and if you let it cool down slowly the juices wont run out of the meat as bad.

I chose the flat end for the experiment because to me this is the driest part of the brisket.

I have simmered corned beef for hours and never had it turn out as good.
going to try some pre cooked BBQed flat end I did and froze some time ago and see how it comes out.

Worth
Old August 31, 2015   #127
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Ill try this hear I need an opinion soon.
What do you think of these canners they are just up the road from me.
Worth

https://austin.craigslist.org/atq/5140953975.html
Old August 31, 2015   #128
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

I've seen both of these canner lids at our pressure gauge testing booth. The one on the right does not have individual marks for anything except 5, 10, 15 so you would be guessing for 6 and 11 if that is what you can at. The gauge most likely will not work properly. The one I saw had a gasket loose inside.

Personally, I would spend the $80 on a new Presto. We have a store here that puts them on sale for that. The older ones, you would need to inspect carefully for the obvious and make sure the rubber parts are good. Don't know if you can find spare parts for the older ones.
Old August 31, 2015   #129
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by coronabarb View Post
I've seen both of these canner lids at our pressure gauge testing booth. The one on the right does not have individual marks for anything except 5, 10, 15 so you would be guessing for 6 and 11 if that is what you can at. The gauge most likely will not work properly. The one I saw had a gasket loose inside.

Personally, I would spend the $80 on a new Presto. We have a store here that puts them on sale for that. The older ones, you would need to inspect carefully for the obvious and make sure the rubber parts are good. Don't know if you can find spare parts for the older ones.
I will keep looking, the only canner I am interested in is the old one on the left.
And it isn't old enough, I want metal wing nuts like my other one.
The one in the middle is and old presto with the Sears Maid of honor name.
This is really an antique search.

I have seen some really bad off canners on line and some good ones too.
When I buy a new one it will be the All American.

Thanks for talking me out of it Barb.

Look at this pile of junk even worse than my old Kook Kwick.
https://sanantonio.craigslist.org/for/5147289416.html

Last edited by Worth1; August 31, 2015 at 06:52 PM.
Old August 31, 2015   #130
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by coronabarb View Post
Gaskets/rubber parts are replaceable and should be replaced regularly. Parts are available for almost all of the brands I have ever seen at Lehmans Hardware in Kidron, Oh. I am fortunate to live withing about 40 min. of them and I have replaced almost anything my canners have that can be removed and replaced. That goes for the victorio and squeezo food mills, too. The selection of pieces parts is phenomenal.
Worth, that last canner was scary. The price was good on the first set, though.
Old September 1, 2015   #131
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
Gaskets/rubber parts are replaceable and should be replaced regularly. Parts are available for almost all of the brands I have ever seen at Lehmans Hardware in Kidron, Oh. I am fortunate to live withing about 40 min. of them and I have replaced almost anything my canners have that can be removed and replaced. That goes for the victorio and squeezo food mills, too. The selection of pieces parts is phenomenal.
Worth, that last canner was scary. The price was good on the first set, though.

Thank you Carolyn.

Now can anybody tell me the thickness if a presto and or All American canner lid?
The area where the gauge goes.

I have looked everywhere on line and cant find a darn thing and it is very important to me.

I have my reasons, they are somewhat wild.

Worth
Old September 1, 2015   #132
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

"Now can anybody tell me the thickness if a presto and or All American canner lid?
The area where the gauge goes."
Maybe try a machine shop? We have a friend who has one and he does all kinds of things for us.
Old September 1, 2015   #133
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
"Now can anybody tell me the thickness if a presto and or All American canner lid?
The area where the gauge goes."
Maybe try a machine shop? We have a friend who has one and he does all kinds of things for us.
I have the stuff to measure with what I dont have is the canners.

I also know that the presto isn't thick enough to meet requirements for a threaded fitting.
That is why it has the nut on the gauge and the vent pipe.
The All American has to be about 1/4 inch to meet requirements for the threads on the NPT 1/8 gauge and vent pipe as they dont have the nuts on them.

Thanks.

Worth
Old September 2, 2015   #134
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

Worth,
Measuring with the stick out of a dial caliper I get a lot of reads at .142". It is a curved surface and I am checking depth with a nut as backer. Some measures as low as .128 but both median and mode of .142" so I'd go with that.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2015   #135
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRinPA View Post
Worth,
Measuring with the stick out of a dial caliper I get a lot of reads at .142". It is a curved surface and I am checking depth with a nut as backer. Some measures as low as .128 but both median and mode of .142" so I'd go with that.
Is this for the presto?
Yes it is I just read your previous post.
Thanks for checking.
This would make sense if it was the Presto because they weigh about half as much as an All American.

Worth

Last edited by Worth1; September 2, 2015 at 12:28 PM.