Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old May 26, 2007   #121
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Here is this mornings harvest. Boothbys is cranking them out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cukes052607.jpg (107.2 KB, 40 views)
duajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2007   #122
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Ok, so your lemon cucumbers are getting about the same size as mine. I thought mine were staying small.

Honestly I think I will try Boothby's next year!!
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2007   #123
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Lemon has been various sizes from ping pong ball to actual Lemon size. The Boothbys Ive been picking before they change color completely and while they arent that long, they sure are fat. I like Boothbys and PK about the same as far as taste goes but BB has been slightly more productive. But at this point, I am leaning towards Diva as my favorite cuke to grow. The plant has really slowed down but still looks very healthy. I plan to make a batch of referigerator dills when I have enough divas to make them.
Old June 5, 2007   #124
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Don't let your lemon or straight eight cucumbers get this big. I need to train the roommate better.

Overgrown Straight Eight

Lemon Cucumbers pick best when they're tan, not yellow.

Both cucumbers were rather woody and a bit tough.

I've got lots of other cucumbers planted in the old potato beds so I should be buried soon.
Old June 7, 2007   #125
tomatoguy
Tomatovillian™

Hello fellow cuke growers. I just slipped in here from the main forum. This year I am growing Spacemaster. It is supposed to be a compact bushy plant but last year it gave me long thick vines that produced like they were on steroids. I have grown lemon many times in the past but don't have any this year.
I wonder if anyone actually got compact bushes from Spacemaster?

mater
tomatoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2007   #126
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I grew Spacemaster about ten years ago and it did have shorter than usual vines. They were about three feet in length, as I recall.
Old June 10, 2007   #127
tomatoguy
Tomatovillian™

I must be doing someting wrong. Mine are 5-6 feet long already.

mater
tomatoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2007   #128
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Are you growing your Spacemaster from the same seed packet as last year? I doubt you're doing anything wrong at all. Probably just wrong or crossed seed. It happens sometimes.
Old June 15, 2007   #129
harleysilo
Tomatovillian™

I can't recall the names of the cukes seed packets I picked up at lowes, however I still have them at home. They are doing great, just look like your standard cucumber, only had 2 so far. Also planted a batch of pickeling cukes, but none yet.

So what the heck are these Lemon Cukes everyone is growing!!!!???? Do they taste like lemons or what?
harleysilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2007   #130
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

No, they are just round, tan cucumbers about the size of a large lemon. You want to pick them BEFORE they turn yellow or they will be "woody". I think they're nice and have a bit of sweetness to them. The huge amount of seeds can be a turn-off for some folks.

It's just about variety. Another popular one is Poona Kheera which has been championed by Carolyn and others. It is a brown cucumber which is supposed to have exceptional taste.

I have so far eaten Straight Eight (great all-around cucumber) and Lemon. I'll get to taste Poona Kheera at the SETTFest tomorrow as Suze and others are bringing some.
Old June 16, 2007   #131
jwr6404
Tomatovillian™

I often plant a couple of unusal,at least to me, varieties of vegetables. Receive some Cucumber,Squash and Zuchinni seeds from someone in Turkey. They are doing well here in the PNW. Next week,from Hirts Garden, i will receive some Hmong Cucumber seeds. These are Cucumbers that turn Red when ready to harvest. Going to put them in a large Pot alongside of my driveway as a conversation piece. Who knows they may even taste good..
Old June 17, 2007   #132
Warren
Tomatovillian™

wow I might grow some more of these next year. The wife loves Cucumbers. (I don't) but I like growing stuff.

Last edited by Warren; June 17, 2007 at 02:13 AM.
Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2007   #133
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Got to taste Poona Kheera at SETTFest. This is quite simply a fantastic cucumber. So sweet and crisp. It was great in the pasta salad and I think better than Lemon Cucumber in flavor and productivity. I'm going to grow several plants of it next year!
Old June 17, 2007   #134
FlipTX
Tomatovillian™

I like Poona Kheera, too. It's very crisp and makes an excellent marinated cucumber salad. I wish I'd planted more of it. I didn't get many fruit off the two plants I had.
FlipTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2007   #135
duajones
Tomatovillian™

I pulled my Diva and Straight 8 plants yesterday. The Diva produced really well but was finally succumbing to disease. The Straight 8 was fairly young and hadnt produced yet but was effected by powdery mildew (didnt keep up with my Daconil program on this one) I already have county fair growing and yesterday replanted PK and Straight 8. Not sure how well they will do in this heat but we will see.
Diva and PK are my faves this year with Boothbys Blonde right behind.