Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old July 17, 2016   #121
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatbox View Post
Wow! What kind of fertilizer do you use on peppers and tomatoes?
Thanks! For my raised beds I amend with composted manure and other compost in the fall and spring. I also fertilize the tomatoes about 3 times per year with Jobes Organic tomatoes and veggie granular fertilizer. For the tomatoes and peppers in buckets I feed initially once with granular and after about 5-6 weeks I feed every 10-14 days alternating between the same granular and blue Mircale Grow.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2016   #122
berryman
Tomatovillian™

I let this gosh darned doodleyeyed hornworm eat just a little more potato leaf while I got the iPad for a pic. Five seconds later--hornworm jam!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (455.8 KB, 165 views)
berryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2016   #123
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Your pictures and garden are amazing! Great job!!

I can not grow very large onions where I live either, but, like you, I like mine a bit smaller in cooking anyways. They serve the purpose just fine.

In case I missed it, what variety of garlic are you growing? You did a nice job growing it and it shows!! Are you saving any bulbs for planting this fall? I just pulled my bulbs up and had a few nice sized bulbs and a few that were average. I have them hanging up to cure. I will save the biggest to plant in the fall. (Music)

Ginny
barefootgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2016   #124
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the compliments. I grow Chesnok Red garlic. I chose this variety when I started growing garlic 5 years ago and have been growing from my starter heads since. I chose the variety because it was supposed to have very good storage qualities and also is very hardy. We enjoy the flavor very much and it does keep well. After curing I keep it in a paper bag on the basement floor 55-60F and it usually keeps until about April--sometimes March, occasionally early May. I do save the largest cloves from the largest heads for planting every October. My bulbs this year ranged from 1.75-2.50". The variety has indeed proven to be very cold hardy, I've never lost a planted clove. I do mulch heavily once the ground freezes or before the first accumulating snow, usually mid November - mid December depending on the year.

Music sounds like a good variety of garlic, it was one of the ones I considered when starting growing garlic. Sounds like you've got garlic growing down. For whatever reason there always is variability in the head sizes in any given crop, at least in my experience.
Old July 20, 2016   #125
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Big time watering tonight as we prep for a few days in the low-mid 90s with mid/upper 70s dewpoints. We don't get these days often and I greatly dislike them. In fact to me I hate them more than bitter cold in the winter. It is a waste of a summer day because I want no part in going outside. But everything is well watered as well as always mulched with straw. Squash for dinner tomorrow--I think we'll saute and not grill!
Old July 20, 2016   #126
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

jmsieglaff, the weather you just described in post #125 is the exact typical weather here in Texas during June and July. That is the weather that the Exp. PL Yellow Cherry grew and produced well in.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2016   #127
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
jmsieglaff, the weather you just described in post #125 is the exact typical weather here in Texas during June and July. That is the weather that the Exp. PL Yellow Cherry grew and produced well in.
It is amazing how quickly you go south from here that the escapes from the 90s and high humidity during the summer become increasingly very infrequent. That is one reason I love living where I do--we have our heat and humidity in the summer and some years worse than others like anywhere, but most years we have short, albeit somewhat frequent breaks in humidity as well as cooler air--like highs in the upper 70s to around 80. And even then, normals in mid summer here are low to mid 80s highs and low to mid 60 lows. Dewpoints on average are in the low-mid 60s. We get our fair share of lower 70s, but also love those summer days with dewpoints in the 50s. I couldn't do the Central and Southern Plains/Southeastern US summers, I would be miserable. I much prefer 50s and sun over 90s and humidity, which explains why spring and fall are my favorite seasons. Now I like summer too, it is garden season after all!

We had a stretch in 2012 of 4 consecutive 100+ days, that was crazy. Plants, even healthy and well-watered wilted in the midday sun. I know you southern US folks are chuckling, but the same way I chuckle when you say 50s are cold.

Glad the Exp. Yellow PL cherry did well for you Salt and also glad to know you enjoyed the taste too.
Old July 21, 2016   #128
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

What a day. Heat index hit 109F and now are getting hammered with storms. Very heavy rain and strong winds. Cucumbers and squash are blowing around hard on the trellis. Based on radar storms are setting up in a line that may give us a prolonged period of heavy rain. We really need it but we're already over half an inch in 15 min. Flash flood warning are posted--glad we don't live along a stream or creek.

Last edited by jmsieglaff; July 21, 2016 at 10:46 PM.
Old July 21, 2016   #129
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Well we had some good rain and sorely needed too. The first round this afternoon was quite heavy for 20-25 minutes, but the ground was so darn hard most of it just washed off. Round two just finished and I hope that it got to really penetrate the soil because everything sure needs it.

The down side is 90's again tomorrow and the rain just fed the fire for more humidity to suffer through. Yuk.
Old July 21, 2016   #130
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissS View Post
Well we had some good rain and sorely needed too. The first round this afternoon was quite heavy for 20-25 minutes, but the ground was so darn hard most of it just washed off. Round two just finished and I hope that it got to really penetrate the soil because everything sure needs it.

The down side is 90's again tomorrow and the rain just fed the fire for more humidity to suffer through. Yuk.
Yeah it's going to be gross again. We're up to 3.25" of rain in 1.5 hours and still going. Although it is winding down.
Old July 21, 2016   #131
MissS
Tomatovillian™

My daughter is out and just called because she is lost trying to get home. The Fox River has flooded and Bluemound is closed. She is stuck in a subdivision trying to find a way out. I got her out of there and she has just walked in the door.

It's starting to rain again and is expected to continue for the next 20 minutes.
Old July 21, 2016   #132
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissS View Post
My daughter is out and just called because she is lost trying to get home. The Fox River has flooded and Bluemound is closed. She is stuck in a subdivision trying to find a way out. I got her out of there and she has just walked in the door.

It's starting to rain again and is expected to continue for the next 20 minutes.
Glad she's safe! Never want to drive through flooded roads!
Old July 21, 2016   #133
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Good time to relax and sip on a homebrewed Dunkelweiss.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (152.2 KB, 115 views)
Old July 21, 2016   #134
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

You people up in WI be very careful of the floods.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2016   #135
WilburMartin
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsieglaff View Post
Good time to relax and sip on a homebrewed Dunkelweiss.
nice looking brew