Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 30, 2007   #121
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I just watered my pepper plants with about 2/3 tbsp of Maxicrop and 2/3 tbsp of Alaska to 1 gallon of water per plant. My 4 Jimmy Nardellos in one 17 gallon pot seem to finally be getting ready to set. Golden Marconi is similarly barren. Carmen, Sweet Banana, Jalapeno, and Ancho each have about a dozen set.

I gave my blackberry, raspberry, and green grape bushes each a gallon with the same mix. I've got 6-7 Straight Eights set (it finally put out feelers and grabbed onto my trellis). Lemon and Poona Kheera are showing good signs. The cucumbers got a gallon too.

My Barksdale Wax Pole Beans are coming up. I ended up giving them a 17 gallon pot all to themselves, with 3 bamboo poles lashed together. They came up in 4 days and are looking strong so far. I've been giving them a good dose of Maxicrop and Alaska.

As for the tomatoes, I am thinking I want more than Maxicrop and Alaska (5-1-1). I don't think I can get Neptune's Harvest locally, but I can get HastaGro 6-12-6 liquid. I am thinking I will do about 1/3 cup of TomatoTone (4-7-10) side dressing 4-6" away from the stem of each plant, and then a gallon of water with 1/2 strength HastaGro (which would make it 3-6-3). I am wondering if that is too much fertilization. Essentially I would be giving the plants a dose of 5-10-8. The HastaGro has micronutrients in it too.
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2007   #122
RDUN
Tomatovillian™

Here in the DFW area, i have pretty decent fruitset on 5 of 7 varieties. I am growing the following:

Aunt Ginny's Purple
Aker's WV
Black Cherry
Carbon
Cherokee Purple
Kimberly
Paul Robeson

I know... it's a little heavy on the dark side, but I've never grown a dark variety and I figured I'd grow several this spring to try and determine my favorite.

So far, the two large reds/pinks I am growing (Aunt Ginny's and Aker's) that I was counting on as "Main Croppers" have failed to set any fruit. They haven't really dropped many blossoms, but they were much slower to start blossoming than the others. I haven't counted the fruit on the others but I have dozen's on BC and Kimberly. Of the larger varieties, Cherokee Purple is going very strong (maybe a dozen fruit so far) and Carbon and Paul Robeson are doing quite well also. I sure hope the two red's come through in the next couple of weeks before it gets too hot. I'll post some pictures soon.
RDUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2007   #123
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

First Sungold is coloring up.

I've got about 150 fruit set on Sungold, including some double trusses (V shape with 8-10 fruits on each side of the V). I really need to grow two Sungolds next year.

Husky Red Cherry is continuing to add fruit. It was 40 at last count, probably 60-70 now.

I took a good picture of Black Cherry that also has a V-shaped double truss of about 16 fruit. Black Cherry is not early by any stretch, so probably another 2-4 weeks before any ripe fruit off of it.

I really must grow Galina's, Isis Candy and Lime Green Salad to go nuts with cherry colors.
Old May 1, 2007   #124
sirtanon
Tomatovillian™

Dang, Feldon.. looks like I need to come visit With all that fruit set, you'll quickly be overrun with little maters.. lucky you!

Now for more photos of the garden:

.... Sleazy-A F2 Dwarf:

...one of my volunteers.. no idea what it is, but it looks good

..one of my Reisentraube clusters (1 of about 5) with about 20 or so fruit set so far (at least that I can see):

...and last but not least, my little dog in a devilish mood
Old May 1, 2007   #125
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

What a nice little dog, oh yes tomatoes look nice too.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2007   #126
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

120 medium-to-large and beefsteaks sounds like a lot, but it's really not over a 6 week period if I give lots to friends and neighbors.

Not with 1/3 of my plants producing nothing, 1/3 producing 4-5 tomatoes each, and only 1/3 producing near their potential.

Sorry if it sounds like I am whining.
Old May 1, 2007   #127
blatanna
Tomatovillian™

Default Fruitset

Lots of blosso m on most of my toms but the first one to set fruit is Kotlas. The rest are looking good.
Old May 2, 2007   #128
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Default Todays harvest

Here is a photo of todays harvest, 3 in the back left are Jet Star, 2 back right are big beef (ripened early for some reason) and the ones in front are Bush Early Girl
duajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2007   #129
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Default My first Azoychka

This one had a dark spot by the stem and was beginning to blush so I pulled it a couple days ago. I would describe it as citrusy maybe. Different than any I have tasted. Very good. It was much smaller than most on my plant

Old May 3, 2007   #130
CLa
Tomatovillian™

Out of all things a Caspian Pink is the largest tomato, may be first of the large fruited to ripen. Sunsugars and Sungolds are starting to ripen, Flamm is amazingly putting on a ton of tomatoes, big plant, trusses holding up to 10 gold ball size some seem larger, bout the size of eva's purple ball. None ripening yet that I can see.

Black from Tula and Carbon are both looking really good. 12 tomatoes or so. Kellogs about the same. Aunt Gerties has been dropping all blooms. I'd like to see it put something on. Potato leaf better for the north? Lastly Paul Robeson, although a small plant, is putting on some fruit, roughly 7 now that I can see. Purple russian (from Feldon?) seems very reliable, very little blossoms have dropped. 20 + long shaped tomatoes.

Tomatoes catching diseases or growth stunted in ground soil:

Brandywine Sudaith
Cherokee Purple
Black Cherry
CLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2007   #131
FlipTX
Tomatovillian™

The lone fruit on my Anna Russian:
FlipTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2007   #132
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Here is a few recent photos.

Celebrity bush, the large one pictured looks to be the biggest fruit in my garden to this point. the picture doesnt do it justice.

New Big Dwarf, you can see a fused fruit to the left

Bush Early Girl, these are pumping out the maters, very productive
Old May 4, 2007   #133
sirtanon
Tomatovillian™

Looking very good there! Lots of the short varieties, too.

Would you say your Bush Celebrity really stays short? My info suggests it will stop growing upward at between 15 and 20 inches.
Old May 4, 2007   #134
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Black Cherry, Sungold, Husky Red Cherry, and Kimberly never really stopped loading up with fruit. But I have been worried about the others.

But I just checked and fruitset seems to have resumed, at least at a slower pace, on the larger varieties. Ark. Traveler has jumped from 3 to 12 fruit. I will do some more counting and do another chart.

Here's some ripening pics:

1st Sungolds

1st Kimberly

Fruitworms suck! B.T. -- it's not just for hornworms and bean leaf rollers.
Old May 4, 2007   #135
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Feldon I don’t know if you have ever grown sungold or tasted it before but I have found that even after you think they are ripe you still need to let them get to a very deep orange before you eat them.
In this way you can truly enjoy the full flavor of them.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote